Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 Toplef10Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 I22gcj10Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 Toplef10Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 I22gcj10Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brandywine-specific question

+27
countrynaturals
Roseinarosecity
FamilyGardening
plantoid
camprn
Turan
walshevak
littlesapphire
CarolynPhillips
Triciasgarden
CharlesB
floyd1440
Nonna.PapaVino
Belle87ad
CapeCoddess
Squat_Johnson
greatgranny
cheyannarach
Coelli
BetsyC
yolos
boffer
gwennifer
RoOsTeR
GWN
Pollinator
llama momma
31 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 Empty Re: Brandywine-specific question

Post  floyd1440 7/30/2012, 7:13 am

greatgranny wrote:I have 2 Brandywine tomato plants that are on one of SFG's trellis. They have literally taken over the entire trellis and are actually making the trellis lean a bit. There are about 25 large tomatoes and some smaller ones. Only 1 is showing signs of getting ripe.

I am wondering if I could go out with my scissors and search for branches that have nothing developing - (blossoms, etc.) and cut them. I think it would free up some congestion and put more energy into the ones that are already there. Yes, I have been removing suckers but now the foliage is so thick I can't even see them anymore. Any thoughts?

Now I planted a few plants, one vertical and one laying down, and they ended up growing side by side and looked like on big bushy plant growing up the trellis. I ended up cutting some of the leaves off so I could train them to frow up the trellis seperately. They look like two tomato plants finally!!! bounce
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/30/2012, 10:19 am

The thing I have found with brandy wines and a few other heirlooms is that they send out suckers in a variety of ways.
They also send out suckers at the end of a bunch of blossoms.
You also have to go back down the plant and find the "suckers that got away", I am always totally amazed to be checking every day for suckers and then find a huge one that restarted down at the bottom and is now a branch that has buds and tomatoes on it.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/30/2012, 11:49 am

GWN wrote:The thing I have found with brandy wines and a few other heirlooms is that they send out suckers in a variety of ways.
You also have to go back down the plant and find the "suckers that got away", I am always totally amazed to be checking every day for suckers and then find a huge one that restarted down at the bottom and is now a branch that has buds and tomatoes on it.

I know. It was quite revealing yesterday when I did cut some. When it cools down a bit later today I think I'm going to search some more. It did help to take out a few yesterday - at least I can see through the leaves a bit more. My goodness, the fruit is huge. Will definitely plant more next year.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/30/2012, 11:57 am

I had many 2 pounder and over last year....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/30/2012, 1:09 pm

Brandywine= 3.25 or 3.5 lb. cant remember

Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 100_1144
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 7/30/2012, 1:21 pm

I've read in many seed catalogs that brandywine, although one of the better tasting tomatoes, is a low producer. I got nine tomatoes from two plants last year, and I only have maybe four on the vines so far this year. Next year I'm going to try one called hillbilly, which is a big Tom like brandywine, but it is a heavy producer.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/30/2012, 2:26 pm

Mine produce usually more than 10, but on the other hand they may produce low in numbers, but what about poundage?
I have friends who do not plant them because they ARE so big and you cannot just slice them up on an hamburger, you need to be making hamburgers for a crowd to use up your one brandywine lol!
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/30/2012, 4:49 pm

GWN wrote:Mine produce usually more than 10, but on the other hand they may produce low in numbers, but what about poundage?
I have friends who do not plant them because they ARE so big and you cannot just slice them up on an hamburger, you need to be making hamburgers for a crowd to use up your one brandywine lol!

I lost count. The last time I counted about a week ago, there were at least 25 between the 2 plants. If they all make it I'll have to have a picnic, complete with grilled burgers. Actually, I plan on making some sauces with most of them. Hope to put up a few jars for winter.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/30/2012, 11:19 pm

GWN wrote:The thing I have found with brandy wines and a few other heirlooms is that they send out suckers in a variety of ways.

I thought I was dreaming it or just not doing a good job of suckering. Glad to know I'm not crazy.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/30/2012, 11:39 pm

We really like the taste of the Brandywine tomatoes, but, as others have noted on this forum, it's a bit stingy in the production department. Right now, I have a Brandywine (Suddeth's Strain) planted next to a Black Sea Man tomato (also a potato leaf type). Brandywine has 2 fruits set; Black Sea Man has a dozen. Last year (in Oregon, a difficult year to ripen tomatoes) Black Sea Man fed us, and it's delicious! I'm still experimenting with different varieties of tomatoes and have yet to decide what is best. BTW, a couple of plants of an old variety called Bloody Butcher looks like it will be a very generous producer. Have to wait to see what it tastes like. Anyone out there with experience with Bloody Butcher tomato?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/31/2012, 5:42 pm

walshevak wrote:

I thought I was dreaming it or just not doing a good job of suckering. Glad to know I'm not crazy.Kay

Yes I have noticed that on both my brandywine and WV 63s as I pinch the suckers off but the flowering branch keeps on growing and adding more flowers.

This is my first year with heirlooms. The brandywines aare not as prolific as others but they are a far better grade. Still will continue to try others in future season

floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/26/2012, 10:44 am

I've mentioned a few times my brandywines have basically been a bust. Well, look at these pictures.
Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 20120825_180717
Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 20120825_180735
Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 20120825_180752
rofl thinking rofl thinking rofl thinking rofl thinking rofl thinking rofl thinking Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 1280598131

Now, those came off two separate plants out of the same packet. Lol, not only do neither look like a brandy, they aren't even the same variety No I have gotten maybe one or two "real" brandy's off other plants, but holy cow! What a mixed bag tongue
They both look like store bought maters. The left one looks like your typical roma I would guess and the other is just your ordinary red tomato.
Kinda funny Razz

Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/26/2012, 11:06 am

that is unreal
Do you have other varietals that might have somehow cross pollinated.
I know they self pollinate, but a busy bee might have...... you know..... been busy
The colour of the one on the left DOES look more like a brandywine, that pinkish colour
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/26/2012, 11:17 am

I don't have other varietals that would have created these I don't think? Black krim, green zebra, yellow pear. I started wondering a couple of weeks ago when I kept picking tomatoes like the right one. I was like something is not right here. It's kind of a bummer but it's pretty funny too.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/26/2012, 5:45 pm

If they are tastey like home grown tomatos then you are still a winner.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/26/2012, 6:17 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I don't have other varietals that would have created these I don't think? Black krim, green zebra, yellow pear. I started wondering a couple of weeks ago when I kept picking tomatoes like the right one. I was like something is not right here. It's kind of a bummer but it's pretty funny too.

These are from seed you saved? If they are from seed you bought then what else you are growing does not matter for this generation. We eat the fruit, its genetics are determined by the seed it was grown from. The seed inside it will affect the next generation. It does matter for corn because there we eat only the seed.

This sort of thing happens.... It can be due to many things from OP fields that were not quite far enough away to equipment not being totally cleaned so there is some seed mixing at the drying/packing end. One place I buy seed from had a notorious problem with the pea seed getting mixed. Figured out it was a 'helpful' mouse.....

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/26/2012, 6:24 pm

Oh brother! Sad that Roo, hit up the Farmer's market for a real brandywine tomato and save the seed. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/26/2012, 8:18 pm

I've mentioned a few times my brandywines have basically been a bust. Well, look at these pictures.

My Brandywines have been very few but consistent so your pictures have me wondering; can a tomato be effected by open polination during the production phase? I have some grapes, Mr. Stripey, and WV 63's but all have been growing normally in each plant. Will double check them tomorrow..thanks
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/26/2012, 8:37 pm

floyd1440 wrote:I've mentioned a few times my brandywines have basically been a bust. Well, look at these pictures.

My Brandywines have been very few but consistent so your pictures have me wondering; can a tomato be effected by open polination during the production phase? I have some grapes, Mr. Stripey, and WV 63's but all have been growing normally in each plant. Will double check them tomorrow..thanks

No. The fruit and plant are determined by the seed it was grown from. Future generations can be if there was cross breeding between different varieties. But that is less likely with tomatoes than something like squash.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/26/2012, 8:52 pm

Rooster, from whom did you get the seed? I ask because I have two "Black Cherry" plants, from TomatoFest seed and planted at the same time, in the same mediium, same 4-pack seed tray, carefully labeled, but now the fruits on the two look totally different. One (like two of the siblings planted elsewhere) look like cherry tomatoes. But one has large, almost 3" across, fruits that look very like an Early Girl. I do not plant or grow Early Girls any more. Only thing I can think of is that a recessive gene in open-pollinated heirlooms suddenly becomes dominant and the result is: what you and I are experiencing. Hope they taste good! Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/26/2012, 9:14 pm

The seeds came from the same packet labeled as brandywine that were purchased. Lake Valley seeds. These aren't seeds I saved myself. The tomatoes taste better than store bought, but obviously not as tasty as what I thought I was going to get Razz I have gotten maybe one or two brandy's off other plants. It's not a biggie and I can live with it. Just thought I would share my brandywine mutant medley Very Happy

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/26/2012, 9:22 pm

In defense of seed from TomatoFest: another four-pack planted with seeds from a yellow variety called Dagma's Perfection, is planted together in a 4-foot square bed, and all four plants look alike and are producing fruits that all look alike. We are dealing with heirlooms, open-pollinated varieties, and "genetics happens." Recessive genes, sneaky pollinators with unexpected pollin in their jeans, etc. I'm just glad that only1 of the over 20 tomatoes I planted is a surprise....or shock.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/27/2012, 6:04 am

Sometimes when using hybrid seeds you often get " throwbacks /recessive genes " of earlier crosses especially if the hybridization is a first or second time fertilization / cross where the cross has not been well fixed over several generations .

If your interested ....read up on " Lendel's sweet pea experiments " ,where he developed the idea of genetic mutations and being able to forcast the outcomes.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 8/31/2012, 4:05 pm

Live in zone 4. First frost can happen as early as Sept. 15. My brandywines still have quite a few green tomatoes on. Should I start to cut the branches that don't have fruit so that all of the energy goes to the fruit? How about the top most branches that still have flowers and/or very small toms?
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/31/2012, 9:15 pm

greatgranny wrote:Live in zone 4. First frost can happen as early as Sept. 15. My brandywines still have quite a few green tomatoes on. Should I start to cut the branches that don't have fruit so that all of the energy goes to the fruit? How about the top most branches that still have flowers and/or very small toms?

I planted mine late last year and had a similar problem. If I remeber correctly I cut off the main stem to focus on the tomatoes already set but unfortunately I was late and never new for sure if that would have helped them ripen in time.
Sorry I cannot help but am sure someone else can...
Brandywine-specific question - Page 3 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next