Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Toplef10Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 I22gcj10Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Toplef10Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 I22gcj10Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brandywine-specific question

+27
countrynaturals
Roseinarosecity
FamilyGardening
plantoid
camprn
Turan
walshevak
littlesapphire
CarolynPhillips
Triciasgarden
CharlesB
floyd1440
Nonna.PapaVino
Belle87ad
CapeCoddess
Squat_Johnson
greatgranny
cheyannarach
Coelli
BetsyC
yolos
boffer
gwennifer
RoOsTeR
GWN
Pollinator
llama momma
31 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Empty Re: Brandywine-specific question

Post  llama momma 9/24/2012, 8:20 am

Roseinarosecity wrote:Dear Gardeners,
... A woman in the Q&A section of Rosalind Creasy's talk asked why her Brandywine tomato plant did not produce tomatoes. Ms. Creasy answered that the Brandywine tomato originated in Ohio and...humidity helps ...and Floyd states, different regions having different results with the same tomatoes...
Roseinarosecity
Thank you for that information!
I can confirm the summer humidity levels here in central Ohio are high and uncomfortable. That helps explain the decent Brandywine production. Cause I know I'm not a gifted gardener. Wink
First time growing 1880's Amish Paste Brandywine did pretty well, even though it dropped blossoms. Now I understand the reason- insufficient pollination of all 8 ovaries.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/24/2012, 10:38 am

Wow! what a great discussion, and all the helpful information.

Rose, like you, Brandywine has been largely a bust for me here in St. Helens, OR, but for flavor and decent fruit set, Black Sea Man has been great. Not as big a fruit set as Early Girl, but sooo much more flavor. If you'd like to try it, send me a P.M. and I'll mail you some of the seed I just received from Tomatofest. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/24/2012, 10:45 am

I am gardening in Brooks, GA. With very high high humidity in the middle of the summer. Although I had high humidity I still had no flower set because of the high temperatures (I assume). So humidity by itself does not help fruit set. I basically had no Brandywine in July and August on my one plant. Since August (after the temperatures moderated), I have picked 6 Brandywine. So maybe the answer is high humidity and moderate temperatures.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 9/24/2012, 6:05 pm

yolos wrote:I am gardening in Brooks, GA. With very high high humidity in the middle of the summer. Although I had high humidity I still had no flower set because of the high temperatures (I assume). So humidity by itself does not help fruit set. I basically had no Brandywine in July and August on my one plant. Since August (after the temperatures moderated), I have picked 6 Brandywine. So maybe the answer is high humidity and moderate temperatures.

I think you are correct. Even though the area I live in had some very uncomfortable heat this summer there was high humidity. For me the fact that my toms got some shade in the afternoon was a factor that made for a very productive yield.

Just finished picking the rest of my 2 Brandywine plants. Frost nipped them a bit last night - even though there was none in the forecast. The toms themselves were not harmed so I picked the rest today.

I have now harvested a total of 54 tomatoes and a total of 39 pounds. I would say that is amazing since I know that many have not had that success. Wondering if my variety also contributed to that. I purchased two plants from a local nursery. Maybe they are wise enough to only sell what is compatible for this area. I guess I will have to ask them.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/24/2012, 6:10 pm

greatgranny, please share the information you glean from the nursery. We keep hearing how delicious a Brandywine is, and we try to grow them without much success. Perhaps it is the varietal. In the meantime: WOW, 39 pounds from two plants! Totally impressive, I'm here to tell 'ya. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 9/24/2012, 7:53 pm

yolos wrote:The following is the best web site I have ever seen when wanting information on specific varieties of vegetables. I was searching for information on various broccoli varieties and stumbled upon reviews for Brandywine. In the upper left you can type in any variety of vegetable and usually get results. Below the map are the reviews by different growers. Check it out.

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/main/detail.php?variety_id=1671

Based on the reviews for Brandywine, I think I will try the Brandywine - pink Suddath (Quisenberry strain) sold at Johnny's (or so the reviewer said). Apparently heat is a problem with fruit set. I will try to start as early as I can in the spring using row covers. One thing that many of the reviews said was Brandwine are slow to mature. But I picked my first Brandywine at the same time I picked my first Early Girl. Go figure.

Nice link.... I got my Brandywines from Johnny's I had problems with them setting when it got very hot but when it cooled down several set on each plant but probably will not turn; but I like green toms anyway. Bottomline they are not as prolific as other tomatoes so may plant less of the pink Brandys next year but hopefully it will not be so hot next summer and I will have better results........

Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 9/24/2012, 11:05 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:greatgranny, please share the information you glean from the nursery. We keep hearing how delicious a Brandywine is, and we try to grow them without much success. Perhaps it is the varietal. In the meantime: WOW, 39 pounds from two plants! Totally impressive, I'm here to tell 'ya. Nonna

As soon as I can reach them I will ask them. Both of the owners are very well versed in organic gardening, etc.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/15/2019, 12:49 pm

yolos wrote:The following is the best web site I have ever seen when wanting information on specific varieties of vegetables.  I was searching for information on various broccoli varieties and stumbled upon reviews for Brandywine.  In the upper left you can type in any variety of vegetable and usually get results.  Below the map are the reviews by different growers.  Check it out.

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/main/detail.php?variety_id=1671
WOW! What a great thread, and this link is awesome! thankyou
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/15/2019, 1:08 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:Dear Gardeners,
I want to share some info I learned yesterday from author and gardener Rosalind Creasy about Brandywine tomatoes.  She held a seminar on Heirloom Gardening here in Huntington Beach, California.  A woman in the Q&A section of Rosalind Creasy's talk asked why her Brandywine tomato plant did not produce tomatoes.  Ms. Creasy answered that the Brandywine tomato originated in Ohio and requires  perfect pollination or the flower will drop.  Brandywine has 8 ovaries, if they don't all get pollinated it aborts.  She mentioned that humidity helps with the pollination.  She suggested Southern Californian grow Cherokee Purple, better suited for our dryer weather.
OMG! Baker Creek just sent me Cherokee Purple seeds as my free gift. I will plant some, today -- even though it's pretty late. I'll move them inside for the winter. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/15/2019, 1:52 pm

Okay, here's my one plant, grown from seed in a Jiffy Pellet, planted July 21,2019. It's now in a 2-gal. container on my balcony. Nobody here mentioned yellow brandywine, but here it is.
Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Brandy10
Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Brandy11
In hindsight, I should have planted it earlier, but who knew back then that we'd be finished with triple-digits this early? idk
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/16/2019, 2:02 am

countrynaturals wrote:. . . OMG! Baker Creek just sent me Cherokee Purple seeds as my free gift. I will plant some, today -- even though it's pretty late. I'll move them inside for the winter. Cool
Score! cheers

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/18/2019, 1:30 pm

Brandywine already showing buds. It looks like planting seeds in mid July could be the answer here in zone 9. happy turtle 
Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Brandy12
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/18/2019, 3:35 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Brandywine already showing buds. It looks like planting seeds in mid July could be the answer here in zone 9. happy turtle 
Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Brandy12
Not only is this way sooner than expected, but I thought these plants had to be huge before they started producing. This one is only about 15" high. golly gee whiz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/22/2019, 3:15 am

Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 9/24/2019, 4:27 pm

Countrynaturals, I wish you great success with your Brandywine!

I had a new experience with the Brandywine tomato this year.  It can in a six-pack of a variety of heirloom tomatoes that included a Rutger, which was the only tomato I wanted in the six varieties.  I still planted all of them and was quite surprised to have a good number of Brandywine tomatoes!  It wasn't prolific, but it was so, so delicious.  It had very few seeds, a good center core and sweet, but not cherry tomato-sweet.  I know we are going through a climate change; this summer was not as hot as the previous last two.  We had a record 33 inches of rain this past rain season, so all the soils were deeply moist when I planted my Brandywine in spring.

Knowing now more than 2012, I think this Brandywine tomato was possibly grown closer to my California temperature than Ohio's. I didn't keep the grower's info.  I did  keep the last two largest, ripest tomatoes for seeds.  I'm going to plant each year for as long as I can and I am hoping this Brandywine will be suited for my environment after 7 years.  Seven years is what I learned will be the amount of time the plant will need to adapt to its environment.  Well, I'm hoping. 

Seeds fermenting:

Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Brandy10
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/24/2019, 5:03 pm

Thanks, Rose. Was yours in the ground or in a container? I'm a little concerned about mine because I can only give it a 5-gallon pot for the winter. Fingers crossed that will be big enough.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 9/24/2019, 5:35 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Thanks, Rose. Was yours in the ground or in a container? I'm a little concerned about mine because I can only give it a 5-gallon pot for the winter. Fingers crossed that will be big enough.

It was in a raised bed facing east/west on a 5-foot trellis and by early September it was over 5 feet.  I trimmed some side shoots to keep it within the trellis.  It got filtered shade after 4 PM due to some trees.  I saved the full sun for my Cherokee Purple tomato, which is another delicious tomato.

I think your five gallon container is enough.
R
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/24/2019, 6:29 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:Thanks, Rose. Was yours in the ground or in a container? I'm a little concerned about mine because I can only give it a 5-gallon pot for the winter. Fingers crossed that will be big enough.

It was in a raised bed facing east/west on a 5-foot trellis and by early September it was over 5 feet.  I trimmed some side shoots to keep it within the trellis.  It got filtered shade after 4 PM due to some trees.  I saved the full sun for my Cherokee Purple tomato, which is another delicious tomato.

I think your five gallon container is enough.
R
I will definitely try Cherokee Purple next year. I hope you're right about the container, cuz that's all I can do. Fingers crossed.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/25/2019, 10:48 pm

My Brandywine is now about 4' tall, with 2 little blossoms. Hubby and I transplanted it into a 5 gal. bucket and it seems happy. It's also living inside, in front of a south-facing slider and seems okay with the amount of light it's getting. It's about 100 days old, and I'm satisfied with its progress, considering the fact that our days are roughly 30% shorter than they were in July. I gave it a nice dose of liquid bone meal when we put it into its bigger bucket. Fingers crossed that after 3 years of trying, this could be the one! happy turtle 
Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Brandy14
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/26/2019, 9:34 pm

Seems like brandywines are thirstier than other tomatoes. I almost lost this one twice, when it dried out too much. I blamed it on the container being too small or my forgetfulness, but now I don't think so. It wants a quart of water every day, now that it's getting so big. That's more than any of my other tomato plants are getting -- even the ones in the peak of production. Shocked
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/27/2019, 9:32 am

countrynaturals wrote:Seems like brandywines are thirstier than other tomatoes. I almost lost this one twice, when it dried out too much. I blamed it on the container being too small or my forgetfulness, but now I don't think so. It wants a quart of water every day, now that it's getting so big. That's more than any of my other tomato plants are getting -- even the ones in the peak of production. Shocked

All of my tomatoes, which grew to over 8' tall this year, seemed to require a lot of water. I had to modify the drip irrigation in the tomato bed to run the lines around each plant so the roots got more water than the bed would normally get. I normally just have the tubing run the length of the bed, but for the tomatoes I had to extend the tubing and circle each plant and then run to the next plant. Of course, having the severe drought we had this summer caused a little more watering than usual, too.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/27/2019, 1:49 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:Seems like brandywines are thirstier than other tomatoes. I almost lost this one twice, when it dried out too much. I blamed it on the container being too small or my forgetfulness, but now I don't think so. It wants a quart of water every day, now that it's getting so big. That's more than any of my other tomato plants are getting -- even the ones in the peak of production. Shocked

All of my tomatoes, which grew to over 8' tall this year, seemed to require a lot of water. I had to modify the drip irrigation in the tomato bed to run the lines around each plant so the roots got more water than the bed would normally get. I normally just have the tubing run the length of the bed, but for the tomatoes I had to extend the tubing and circle each plant and then run to the next plant. Of course, having the severe drought we had this summer caused a little more watering than usual, too.
I read somewhere that less water means better tomatoes. That makes it a real challenge.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/27/2019, 2:19 pm

I have a theory about Brandywines being less productive. My blossoms are all in a cluster. That works for cherry tomatoes, but there's no way 4 1-pounders could survive in one little bunch on the same stem. That means at least half of them won't survive. If they only produce on the main stem -- which is what it's looking like so far -- that would explain the low output. If all I'm gonna get is 2 tomatoes, I don't care how good they are, it won't be worth the effort. Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 950477
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 10/27/2019, 3:41 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I have a theory about Brandywines being less productive. My blossoms are all in a cluster. That works for cherry tomatoes, but there's no way 4 1-pounders could survive in one little bunch on the same stem. That means at least half of them won't survive. If they only produce on the main stem -- which is what it's looking like so far -- that would explain the low output. If all I'm gonna get is 2 tomatoes, I don't care how good they are, it won't be worth the effort. Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 950477

Excellent observation.  Maybe you could remove two flowers before they open, leaving two flowers to produce a tomato.

Are you trimming your potted Brandywine? I see a broken leaf in your picture.
R
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/27/2019, 4:54 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I have a theory about Brandywines being less productive. My blossoms are all in a cluster. That works for cherry tomatoes, but there's no way 4 1-pounders could survive in one little bunch on the same stem. That means at least half of them won't survive. If they only produce on the main stem -- which is what it's looking like so far -- that would explain the low output. If all I'm gonna get is 2 tomatoes, I don't care how good they are, it won't be worth the effort. Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 950477

That theory didn't seem to hold for my Brandywine tomatoes.  They grew in big clusters, all ripened, and were absolutely delicious. I did hand pollinate them, though, to ensure all were pollinated.

Brandywine-specific question - Page 5 Brandy15

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next