Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Am I doing okay? Toplef10Am I doing okay? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Am I doing okay? I22gcj10Am I doing okay? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Am I doing okay? Toplef10Am I doing okay? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Am I doing okay? I22gcj10Am I doing okay? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Today at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Today at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 11:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Am I doing okay?

+2
Goosegirl
Warbler
6 posters

Go down

Am I doing okay? Empty Am I doing okay?

Post  Warbler 7/2/2012, 12:37 am

Well I am a few months past a brand new newbie - but still floundering. On the good side - we've had a few full plate salads from my lettuce with a few spinach leaves tossed in there. And a handful of strawberries, and tried cooked broccoli leaves and a few spindly small pieces of broccoli. There are a few sugar snap pea pods forming - but can't feel peas in them yet. But everything seems so small and slow!!!

Then I have a few problems.

Here are my very vulnerable pics....
(ummm sorry for the crooked necks - the picture was right side up when I loaded it... Embarassed [Edit by gwennifer - fixed all the pictures] )
Am I doing okay? 110

Harvested lettuce in the front - just bolted.
Am I doing okay? 210

Now the questions:
These are pole beans - kind of yellowish and holes and brown. I sprayed with spinosad and insecticidal soap. Anything else to do?
Am I doing okay? P1000714

spindly tomato - I have three very similar to this. Am I doing okay? 410

peppers - this is a bell I think, but I also have a jalapeño doing the same thing - leaves are kind of curling - not a leaf roller tight curl, just the edges curled up. Is this normal?
Am I doing okay? 510

zucchini - yellowish and small
Am I doing okay? P1000717

Celebrity tomato (two pics) - several of the oldest branches, from top to bottom have gotten quite yellowish and wilted looking. There is some healthier looking new growth - but whole plant looks sickly.
Am I doing okay? 710
Am I doing okay? P1000715

Any help out there?
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Am I doing okay? Empty Re: Am I doing okay?

Post  Goosegirl 7/2/2012, 7:41 am

Hopefully someone more experienced than me will jump in, but seeing overall spindly and off-color, I am leaning toward a soil deficiency of some sort. What kinds of composts were you able to obtain for your MM? If some were bagged, did they have fillers such as extra peat to throw off the mix or possibly woody ingredients that may not have been fully composted? Incomplete woody compost will rob nitrogen from the soil while it continues to compost.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/2/2012, 9:29 am

Before you change anything.....wait for warmer days. See if a week of weather that at least comes up to room temp will bring back the color and health of your garden. Celebrate the greens and strawberries, look for the sun to fix the rest.

Debs......who fells your hypothermic pain
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/2/2012, 9:37 am

Everything looks like it need a good fertilizing boost. If you have some homemade compost go ahead and top dress the beds with 1/2 to an inch of the stuff.
May want to water every other day if the Mel's mix is not dry.
Your squash loos like it is getting nibbled but insects, placing a light cover, like tulle, over it will slow the varmints down.
I would pick off any tomato leaves that are showing spots and throw them in the trash.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Am I doing okay? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/2/2012, 12:13 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:Before you change anything.....wait for warmer days. See if a week of weather that at least comes up to room temp will bring back the color and health of your garden. Celebrate the greens and strawberries, look for the sun to fix the rest.

+1 - Couldn't put it any better than that! Thanks Debs.

Your pepper plants look great compared to mine, and I have two peppers growing regardless. I know that peppers are "hot house" plants, so I'm expecting them to green up as the temps rise. Your beans look just like mine. I never could find out what was eating them, but they grow so fast it doesn't seem to matter - they eventually outgrow the eaten up leaves. Whatever is getting them stays down low. (I don't know why but I'm not complaining!) Too cold and and too much water are both things that can cause yellow leaves on beans, so I'm waiting for warmer and drier weather before I determine if I really have a problem. You have a tomato! Cool picture of bolted lettuce by the way - what variety is that, Red Sails?

About the sideways pictures... it appears the ones that showed up sideways are the vertical ones (portrait vs. landscape). Really and truly, if you browse to that same file on your computer, the picture is upright? I thought I'd hosted portrait oriented pics in the past. I'm going to see if I can re-load the ones on this thread for you at least... We'll see what happens! Edit: Done! (Saved your pics on my computer, used a photo editing program to rotate them and re-save, then hosted them on the forum like normal.)
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Warbler 7/2/2012, 1:21 pm

Very Happy Yes! I have a tomato! - But have to admit in my newbie-ness that I wondered if it had anything to do with the wimpy-ness of the plant. Doesn't hurt it to have one kind of early like that, huh??

The lettuce was "redlicious" and was the one thing that grew well through the snow, then hot and dry, then wet and cold that we've endured here. It's been pest free too.

I don't have my own compost - not brave enough yet. We have a pretty busy life style - gone sometimes. I think my bought compost mix is a good one. No vermiculite/peat moss, I watched for that. In the northwest don't think you can totally avoid forest products, but I made sure that the bags seemed to have a good mixture of stuff. -- But I hear Gwenifer saying to wait a week or so - they say it is going to warm and sun up - before doing anything.

If I do decide to top dress with my compost mix - Is the drip system enough to mix it in?

[i]
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Post  Warbler 7/2/2012, 1:25 pm

Oh and thanks for fixing the pics! My Photoshop wasn't working well with my computer yesterday - kept crashing. And come to think of it, I was looking at my pics in iPhoto - where they were upright - and then loading off the original file - my bad!! Sorry Embarassed
Warbler
Warbler

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/2/2012, 4:04 pm

@Warbler.....The lack of sun may be the culprit on your spindly toms. I have one bed that doesn't get as much sunshine as my other beds, and the toms in that bed are spindly, too, while my other toms that get more sunshine are lush. The sun comes up over the nearby trees and hits that bed last. Lack of sun is my opinion.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum