Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to SFG this year! Toplef10New to SFG this year! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to SFG this year! I22gcj10New to SFG this year! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to SFG this year! Toplef10New to SFG this year! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to SFG this year! I22gcj10New to SFG this year! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to SFG this year!

+8
Pepper
cheyannarach
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
walshevak
ramarks
Nicola
Momof5Js
12 posters

Go down

New to SFG this year! Empty New to SFG this year!

Post  Momof5Js 6/23/2012, 6:19 pm

Hi! I started my SFG experience this year after finding Mel's book at the local Dollar General store last year at such a low price I just picked it up for "an interesting read."
I am a city girl, from Houston, TX, and transplanted to western Kansas about 15 years ago. Even then, darling hubby and I lived in town. Last April we moved to an old farm house on 12 acres. The previous owners where BIG TIME trational gardeners. They left use with a beautiful little orchard with peaches, cherries, apricots and pears. We also have wonderful stands of rhubarb and asparagus.
I convinced my dear sweet hubby that this SFG THING would be a good option for our family of 7. We own a residential/commercial construction company so our plans may be a little over the top for a typical beginner.
We poured a 24' x 30' concrete slab, put a cedar post and wire fence around the slab and a gate with a beautiful arbor. Then we built 4 "rows" 4' wide and 16' long. The beds are 6" deep except for one 4x4 box on each end that is 8" deep for potatoes, onions and carrots. The boxes are enclosed on the bottom with plywood with drain holes then covered with weed barrier to keep Mel's mix safely in the boxes and then set on 2x4s.
Once construction was complete we set about making Mel's mix. What a process. We located places to purchase 5 types of compost, the peat moss and the vermiculite. Thankfully we have some pieces of equipment at our disposal. We got the mix mixed and out in the boxes.
I love, love, love my garden. And I am excited to learn many new and wonderful things on the forum.
Momof5Js
Momof5Js

Female Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

New to SFG this year! Empty Re: New to SFG this year!

Post  Nicola 6/23/2012, 7:03 pm

glad you\'re here Momof5Js! (Does that mean all 5 of your kids' names begin with "J"?)
I would love to see pictures of your SFG, when you can post some. It sounds like a beautiful start. What have you planted, and how are they doing?
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  ramarks 6/23/2012, 7:29 pm

Welcome to the forums. Funny how an "interesting read" can turn into a passion. I know it did for me.
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/23/2012, 8:38 pm

Me too. I found the book at Lowes and sat on the outdoor furniture display to leaf through the book for about an hour before deciding to buy it. Never going back to the old way.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/23/2012, 9:11 pm

Hi Momof5Js! I, too, would LOVE to see photos of your SFG!

I found Mels first book at the library just this past March, read it and knew I had to own it. When I went online to order it I saw there was a newer book so ordered that instead. But by that time I'd already filled 2 'boxes' with the mix from the old book, which is working out fine. I have some newer 'boxes' with the new mix, but since I've planted completely different things in them I can't tell if one is better than the other or not. *shrug* It all seems good.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Very Happy
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js 6/23/2012, 9:43 pm

Hey everyone! Thanks for the welcomes. I would love to post pics. Any tips on how? I have a few on my computer I could post.

And yes, all 5 children's names begin with J. 3 boys - Joseph, Judah and Jensen & 2 girls - Jayce and Jillian. All ranging from 14 to 3.
Momof5Js
Momof5Js

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola 6/23/2012, 10:19 pm

If you go to the SFG Forum Homepage there's a How-to section. I found a thread, near the bottom, that'll help. Let's see if I can figure out/remember how to put a link here. (Been a member for awhile, but some forum things I have to walk myself through, step by step)
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t129-how-to-post-a-picture-located-on-your-computer
Hopefully, we can both do these "techie" things okay... Very Happy
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js 6/23/2012, 10:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I am not very good at techie things Very Happy but I will give it a try.
Momof5Js
Momof5Js

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js 6/23/2012, 11:22 pm

Trying a picture or 2 or 3. Maybe I should just try 1 Smile

Concrete Slab with boxes before fencing and plants.

New to SFG this year! 20120411

General Picture today.

New to SFG this year! Dsc04810
Momof5Js
Momof5Js

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js 6/23/2012, 11:23 pm

Yeah! It worked. Thanks Nicola! I think you are great at these techie things.
Momof5Js
Momof5Js

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/24/2012, 1:21 am

I just love those cattle panels.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/24/2012, 8:55 am

Looks gorgeous!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/24/2012, 11:15 am

Looks AWESOME!!!! Great work!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/24/2012, 4:50 pm

New to SFG this year! 396615 Momof5Js. WOW what a setup! And I thought I got bit bad.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/24/2012, 7:29 pm

Brilliant set up no more muddy feet , easy with a wheel barrow and no weeds growing up through or any probing tree roots .

You may find that the concrete draws out the bed moisture a bit quicker than expected though , unless the concrete has had a waterproofer in it or you have sealed the areas under the bed .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2012, 7:39 pm

A concrete slab is quite a commitment to gardening! I love it. Is it possible the size is for re-purposing into a garage down the road?!

plantoid wrote:... You may find that the concrete draws out the bed moisture a bit quicker than expected though , unless the concrete has had a waterproofer in it or you have sealed the areas under the bed .
They thought of everything: the boxes have plywood bottoms and are raised off the concrete.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/24/2012, 7:51 pm

Shocked wowzers!! Shocked .....what a great set up you have there for your SFG!!...i love it!!

welcome to the forum and cant wait to see more pics of your pretty garden Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/24/2012, 8:05 pm

boffer wrote:A concrete slab is quite a commitment to gardening! I love it. Is it possible the size is for re-purposing into a garage down the road?!

plantoid wrote:... You may find that the concrete draws out the bed moisture a bit quicker than expected though , unless the concrete has had a waterproofer in it or you have sealed the areas under the bed .
They thought of everything: the boxes have plywood bottoms and are raised off the concrete.

I saw that Boffer , my thoughts run that the dry concrete will be kept very dry by air passing along the spaces by the battons the bases are sitting on , possiblly make for a big draw out of moisture from the underside of the beds .

I've just had a wee thought ..... that if this does happen then closing in the edges of the battons could slow things down considerably and /or slip a thick construction grade poly sheet under each of the beds as well.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/24/2012, 8:10 pm

Best set up I have seen to date. Also like the fence as well but it is a SWEET layout.....

Shocked
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js 6/24/2012, 10:59 pm

Thanks for all of your comments. You are all so encouraging. thanks

Yes, that large of a concrete slab is a commitment. Darling hubby and I joked that if my gardening ability proved to be nonexistent we could leave the fence up and use it as a containment area for the children! However, I have decided even if things I plant die, I will just plant more. I can not explain how much I love my garden. I have a sitting area in one corner and I enjoy just hanging out there sunny

So far I have planted onions, carrots, potatoes, beets, peas, beans, corn, cabbage, broccoli, okra, cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelons, musk melons, strawberries, sage, thyme, cilantro, jalapeño pepper and garden salsa peppers. We have a wonderful local green house close by. I bought all my seeds in bulk and have had decent success I have had some difficulty with the beans and the peas.

I planted the peas early when I planted the potatoes and onions. They started beautifully then turned a sickly yellow, wilted and died. I thought that was because we were gone on vacation and the substitute irrigator missed a day. So I replanted. Sadly problem returned and I don't think we will have our own peas this year. I will try again in the fall.
Momof5Js
Momof5Js

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js 6/24/2012, 11:05 pm

plantoid wrote:
boffer wrote:A concrete slab is quite a commitment to gardening! I love it. Is it possible the size is for re-purposing into a garage down the road?!

I saw that Boffer , my thoughts run that the dry concrete will be kept very dry by air passing along the spaces by the battons the bases are sitting on , possiblly make for a big draw out of moisture from the underside of the beds .

I've just had a wee thought ..... that if this does happen then closing in the edges of the battons could slow things down considerably and /or slip a thick construction grade poly sheet under each of the beds as well.

Thanks for the comments on the concrete drawing the moisture out faster than usual. I have noticed the some boxes seem more damp than others. I thought maybe some of my drain holes might be clogged, but maybe I am over watering some boxes due to others drying out faster. Interesting. We had not thought of that. We just knew the we wanted drainage and did not want the boxes sitting directly on the slab.

I do notice that most of our really hot, drying Kansas wind comes from the south of our property and the 2x4s run east and west. So, they would block the wind from the south. Do you think that could help keep it cooler under the boxes?
Momof5Js
Momof5Js

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down