Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 5:38 pm

» Any tips growing with Jiffy Pots
by Scorpio Rising Today at 3:44 pm

» N&C Midwest - MAY! Spring has sprung!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 3:34 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2018
by hammock gal Today at 10:51 am

» Potato growing
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:49 am

» Situation in Hawaii
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» Compost pile in Schwenksville PA.
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» Help! Onion Maggots!
by sanderson Today at 12:52 am

» Pests...How to keep at bay
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:41 pm

» Lurking newby
by ispinwool Yesterday at 1:12 pm

» On the Road
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:09 pm

» New England May 2018
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Mr. Booker's Garden -2018
by sanderson 5/18/2018, 12:17 pm

» Volunteer Mushroom
by AtlantaMarie 5/18/2018, 7:13 am

» Hi from Burrrrlington Vermont!
by AtlantaMarie 5/18/2018, 7:10 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018
by Kelejan 5/17/2018, 10:30 pm

» Aero Garden for starting seeds?
by Windsor.Parker 5/17/2018, 3:44 pm

» Potatoes: Yes or No?
by jimmy cee 5/16/2018, 11:38 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 5/16/2018, 8:54 pm

» Interplanting Beans/Cucumbers to repel beetles
by Roseinarosecity 5/16/2018, 1:51 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 5/16/2018, 9:55 am

» 2018 SFG in Brooks, GA
by AtlantaMarie 5/16/2018, 8:05 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals 5/15/2018, 10:20 pm

» Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California
by sanderson 5/15/2018, 2:56 pm

» Texas Dream garden 2017
by has55 5/15/2018, 12:14 pm

» Happy Mother's Day!
by countrynaturals 5/14/2018, 2:55 pm

» Just Completed my Garden.....What Should I Plant NOW!
by stealthmayhem 5/14/2018, 8:55 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by MrBooker 5/14/2018, 7:48 am

» Hi from Buffalo
by MrBooker 5/14/2018, 7:28 am

» Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment)
by Nikko 5/13/2018, 7:35 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

spiders

Go down

spiders

Post  steelrfan57 on 6/12/2012, 1:52 pm

I have encountered some spiders and there webs every morning when i go to check my tomato plants, and every morning i knock them down, is this necessary or should i leave them there.
avatar
steelrfan57

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Dunn,NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  Goosegirl on 6/12/2012, 1:56 pm

Unless they are a poisonous variety let them stay - spiders are friends in the garden!

GG
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3422
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 53
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

spiders

Post  steelrfan57 on 6/12/2012, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the advice Goosegirl, I thought that would be the answer, just wasnt quite sure. Here in NC, the brown reclus and black widow, are 2 of our poisionous spiders, those i defintely dont want in my garden. affraid Very Happy
avatar
steelrfan57

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Dunn,NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  Goosegirl on 6/12/2012, 8:27 pm

@steelrfan57 wrote:Thanks for the advice Goosegirl, I thought that would be the answer, just wasnt quite sure. Here in NC, the brown reclus and black widow, are 2 of our poisionous spiders, those i defintely dont want in my garden. affraid Very Happy

Where I came from in CA we didn't have brown recluse, but black widows were standard issue. They tend to like dark corners (under the house, wood piles, gardening sheds) but I don't EVER remember one being out in the open in the garden.

GG
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3422
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 53
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  camprn on 6/12/2012, 8:34 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@steelrfan57 wrote:Thanks for the advice Goosegirl, I thought that would be the answer, just wasnt quite sure. Here in NC, the brown reclus and black widow, are 2 of our poisionous spiders, those i defintely dont want in my garden. affraid Very Happy

Where I came from in CA we didn't have brown recluse, but black widows were standard issue. They tend to like dark corners (under the house, wood piles, gardening sheds) but I don't EVER remember one being out in the open in the garden.

GG
I think the first time I remember ever seeing a spider we lived in Northridge, CA and I was 3 years old. Mom was taking me and my baby brother to a birthday party and we were all dressed up and ready to go. Now, Mom grew up in New England and is made of pretty stern stuff but when she opened the door that day she affraid at the top of her lungs when she saw the tarantula on the outside of the screen door... we missed the party. Sad

____________________________

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14167
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  Goosegirl on 6/12/2012, 9:45 pm

@camprn wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:
@steelrfan57 wrote:Thanks for the advice Goosegirl, I thought that would be the answer, just wasnt quite sure. Here in NC, the brown reclus and black widow, are 2 of our poisionous spiders, those i defintely dont want in my garden. affraid Very Happy

Where I came from in CA we didn't have brown recluse, but black widows were standard issue. They tend to like dark corners (under the house, wood piles, gardening sheds) but I don't EVER remember one being out in the open in the garden.

GG
I think the first time I remember ever seeing a spider we lived in Northridge, CA and I was 3 years old. Mom was taking me and my baby brother to a birthday party and we were all dressed up and ready to go. Now, Mom grew up in New England and is made of pretty stern stuff but when she opened the door that day she affraid at the top of her lungs when she saw the tarantula on the outside of the screen door... we missed the party. Sad

That would do it! affraid
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3422
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 53
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  GWN on 6/12/2012, 11:50 pm

You know I have been wondering the same thing as I pull weeds and see the spiders relocating their family eggs........
I keep watching them thinking what a pain in the A... I must be to them, pulling weeds and tearing up their habitat. They haul the egg in one direction and then they haul it in another direction.

I think we have recluse here, but definitely not tarantula, WOW affraid
avatar
GWN

Posts : 2804
Join date : 2012-01-14
Age : 61
Location : british columbia zone 5a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: spiders

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum