Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Toplef10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 I22gcj10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Toplef10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 I22gcj10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

+59
Kiwidave
ralitaco
AtlantaMarie
milt48
Scorpio Rising
SFGHealthCoach
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
FRED58
MitchHardy
Yardslave
Marc Iverson
sanderson
dk54321
tomthebuilder
jimmy cee
sfgteachers
H_TX_2
Muckmuck
Windmere
donnainzone5
DirtFarmer
sfg4uKim
ddemeo
Windsor.Parker
bnoles
llama momma
Lindacol
BertieFox
Triciasgarden
toledobend
Kelejan
plantoid
GWN
Unmutual
walshevak
brenda g
ramarks
SwampCatNana
sweetgale
Nicola
CharlesB
nanny
J_in_HamiltonON
Laydera
westie
squaredeal
landarch
cheyannarach
claudiamedic
memart1
CapeCoddess
Goosegirl
RoOsTeR
rowena___.
camprn
southern gardener
greatgranny
crs
63 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  llama momma 4/29/2015, 8:19 am

CapeCoddess wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:I make my own yogurt and strain it to give it the thick texture, so I end up with LOTS of the liquid 'whey' left.  What I don't use in cooking (making bread or waffles) gets poured on my compost pile.  From what I have read, it is supposed to be a decent accelerator.

OMG!  We should be roommates. I often put the whey in my smoothies. I love it, and will sometimes drink it plain. I  usually end up giving the yogurt cheese to my mom or tossing it in the compost if it´s not organic. Not a big fan of todays dairy.

Wow! Let all be roommates, I also drink fresh whey.  Created from the process of making traditional kefir in my kitchen.  Lucky to have a dairy in the state that sells grass grazed whole milk from non GMO feeds and forage, and no rBST is fed to the cows.  For Ohio SFG forum members, its called Snowville Creamery.  Hartzler's is another excellent one.  I don't think they sell out of state.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty Homemade Culturists

Post  Razed Bed 4/29/2015, 9:04 am

Can all who make the yogurt and kefir describe your processes for heating your concoctions to the proper temperatures without getting them too high?

We have tried using the oven light in the oven and putting the glass jars on our patio in the sun, but we seldom get consistent 110 degree temperatures either way.  We even built our own dehydrator out of a cardboard box and keyless light, but the 60 watt bulb was not hot enough and the 75 watt bulb was too hot.  Adding a small fan to the box did not bring the temperature down.

Eventually we get yogurt, but it is not the best.

Has anybody tried making homemade coconut yogurt or kefir?
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  CapeCoddess 4/29/2015, 9:38 am

RB, check you PMs.  Please excuse the misspellings, lack of capitalization and senseless sentences, if any. The voice feature on my tablet seems to have forgotten its lessons from school and I don't always catch them.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/29/2015, 1:16 pm

I make dairy kefir not coconut and is approx. 24 hour ferment at room temp. Check out lots more on line. Yemoos.com or something similar, culture for health is another. An in depth site is doms insight just Google it will cover all you could ever ask and much more
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty Thx

Post  Razed Bed 4/29/2015, 1:46 pm

Many thanks.

CC--I sent you a reply PM
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty What to put in the compost that others may not have thought of.

Post  SFGHealthCoach 1/11/2016, 9:43 pm

Question from one of the SFG FB pages:  
Is is ok to put unused barley (grains) into the compost?

And what about legumes?
Seems like if you have anything unexpected sprout and grow - that would be a good thing.

Go!
SFGHealthCoach
SFGHealthCoach

Female Posts : 90

http://www.fromyourinsideout.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2016, 10:38 pm

A good question. It seems to me that an unexpected volunteer here and there is fun. But, to have hundreds or thousands of volunteers in the beds can be a problem, creating over-crowding and nutrient competition. I would soak the seeds to force germination, dry them, then use in compost. The hot Berkeley 18-day method of composting, that I use, kills most seeds. The cooler, slower methods, not so much.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/12/2016, 8:02 am

Good thought, germinate then compost after drying. I would think that it would be OK in a younger pile that you will be turning and working more actively. That way, when you see a ton of germinating seeds, chop and leave exposed. Repeat. Repeat. Lol
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  milt48 2/6/2016, 3:33 pm

I begged for a five gallon bucket of elephant doo doo when the circus was in town. I did get some strange looks, and got yelled at by my wife transporting it home.
milt48
milt48

Male Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/6/2016, 4:03 pm

I do a cold compost. I'd be very concerned about them sprouting all over the place... So force germinate first.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/6/2016, 5:38 pm

milt48 wrote:I begged for a five gallon bucket of elephant doo doo when the circus was in town. I did get some strange looks, and got yelled at by my wife transporting it home.
rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/6/2016, 5:43 pm

Well, I certainly had NOT thought of that one, Milt! lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty Hedgehog

Post  ralitaco 7/19/2016, 7:54 pm

Hello SFG'ers, I know I've been away for a bit...life has been busy and my SFG has been less than stellar this summer so I haven't had much reason to post.

However, that has changed some. My daughter is hedgehog sitting...not my idea but circumstances, sad faces and the promise of scratch made cookies.

So my question, can I use the hedgehog waste and cedar shakes in my compost pile?
That is not a question I ever thought I would ask

Thanks in advance
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/20/2016, 12:33 am

RT, Hi there. What is the hedgehog fed? Vegetarian primarily? I would vote yes you can add the pooh.

Cedar shingles? No because cedar is fairly resistant to breaking down, it is fairly irritating to skin and breathing, and if they were ever treated, well then definitely no. Treating older cedar shingles is fairly common here.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty What I put in the compost tumbler

Post  Kiwidave 5/7/2020, 9:59 pm

That is an interesting question. I have a paper shredder so I shred toilet rolls, cardboard as long as its safe to do so. I will sometimes put in the oven eggshells and pippie shells ( like a small oyster shell). Then when possible contaminants are gone I put it into a coffee grinder and make a flour out of it. I then add it into the compost bin letting the bacteria convert it.
Kiwidave
Kiwidave

Male Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/7/2020, 11:44 pm

I am not sure because they are carnivores...most carnivorous waste isn’t suitable for composting.

Anyone else?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/20/2020, 5:57 pm

southern gardener wrote:dryer lint and hair from when I cut hair, paper, not glossy but just paper. It's considered a "brown" too which I need sometimes.  Good topic!!
is it ok to have the lint from the synthetic fabrics?
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/20/2020, 6:45 pm

Mussel shells (so delicious and useful)!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that others may not of thought of?

Post  bgardner 5/20/2020, 7:08 pm

One of the composts that I use is called Zoo Brew, a collection of poo and litter from the Columbus Zoo that is composted with horse manure, recycled food & vegetables, leaf humus, and coffee grounds. It's a lot easier than taking a 5-gallon bucket to the circus. Wink

Brian
bgardner
bgardner

Male Posts : 49

https://reallygoodfood.us

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/20/2020, 8:14 pm

bgardner wrote:One of the composts that I use is called Zoo Brew, a collection of poo and litter from the Columbus Zoo that is composted with horse manure, recycled food & vegetables, leaf humus, and coffee grounds. It's a lot easier than taking a 5-gallon bucket to the circus. Wink

Brian

And probably smells a lot better, too!  Very Happy

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4468

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/21/2020, 2:50 am

OhioGardener wrote:
bgardner wrote:One of the composts that I use is called Zoo Brew, a collection of poo and litter from the Columbus Zoo that is composted with horse manure, recycled food & vegetables, leaf humus, and coffee grounds. It's a lot easier than taking a 5-gallon bucket to the circus. Wink

Brian

And probably smells a lot better, too!  Very Happy
Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/21/2020, 3:11 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:I am not sure because they are carnivores...most carnivorous waste isn’t suitable for composting.

Anyone else?

I'd go with that and add you might research to see if their poop is full of slug & snail eggs as well as all manner of parasitic worms/ worm eggs  that humans don't want or need. . 

Have a read of this :_
https://heavenlyhedgies.com/do-hedgehogs-carry-diseases-harmful-to-humans/
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 Empty parasitic worms/ worm eggs and Diseases

Post  Kiwidave 5/21/2020, 4:29 am

Thank you all for adding to this discussion. Its the best way we can all learn from each other. One thing I forgot to mention which I should have is the temperature of compost can reach in where I live. I leave my compost till it reaches the temperature in which diseases, weeds seed, worm eggs are killed. Where i live it can easily reach over 86 Fahrenheit in the spring and in summer 104-113 Fahrenheit . The compost bins can really get quite hot inside. At times I will leave it for longer than maybe I should.
I liked the hedgehog link.👍  
 A question please or do I ask this in another area
Has anyone come across whether the pesticides used in coffee (the grounds in brewing) are negated by composting? 
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 6 3170584802
Kiwidave
Kiwidave

Male Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/21/2020, 8:46 am

Kiwidave wrote: A question please or do I ask this in another area
Has anyone come across whether the pesticides used in coffee (the grounds in brewing) are negated by composting?

This has been a subject of many a conspiracy theorist for years, and there has never been a clear answer - do the coffee beans contain some of the pesticides that are applied to coffee plants?  Here is a reasonable explanation from the Coffee Review site:

Agricultural Chemicals and Consumer Health. The consumer health issue is simplest to address. Coffee is not eaten raw like lettuce or apples. The bean is the seed of a fruit. The flesh of this fruit is discarded. Along the way the seed is soaked, fermented, and subject to a thorough drying process. Later it is roasted at temperatures exceeding 400°F, and finally broken apart and soaked in near boiling water. This savage history concludes when we consume only the water in which the previously soaked, fermented, dried, roasted, and infused seed was immersed. Given this history of relentless attrition, it hardly seems possible that much if any of the small amounts of pesticide/fungicide residue permitted by law in green coffee ever make it into the cup.

Probably very little of any residue pesticide would survive the hot composting process. But, don't know that anyone has ever tested it.  Meanwhile, the only coffee grounds I use in my gardens and compost is from Starbucks, and they say they only by coffee that is "sustainably" grown, meaning no chemicals were used.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4468

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/21/2020, 11:34 am

Brian
What a great fund raiser for the zoo! I wonder if all zoos do this.
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next