Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 Toplef10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 I22gcj10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 Toplef10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 I22gcj10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

+59
Kiwidave
ralitaco
AtlantaMarie
milt48
Scorpio Rising
SFGHealthCoach
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
FRED58
MitchHardy
Yardslave
Marc Iverson
sanderson
dk54321
tomthebuilder
jimmy cee
sfgteachers
H_TX_2
Muckmuck
Windmere
donnainzone5
DirtFarmer
sfg4uKim
ddemeo
Windsor.Parker
bnoles
llama momma
Lindacol
BertieFox
Triciasgarden
toledobend
Kelejan
plantoid
GWN
Unmutual
walshevak
brenda g
ramarks
SwampCatNana
sweetgale
Nicola
CharlesB
nanny
J_in_HamiltonON
Laydera
westie
squaredeal
landarch
cheyannarach
claudiamedic
memart1
CapeCoddess
Goosegirl
RoOsTeR
rowena___.
camprn
southern gardener
greatgranny
crs
63 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  tomthebuilder 12/29/2013, 8:43 pm

how about saw dust and wood shavings from a wood planner. bounce
tomthebuilder
tomthebuilder

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  camprn 12/29/2013, 8:48 pm

tomthebuilder wrote:how about saw dust and wood shavings from a wood planner. bounce
I would save those for mulching, but a little bit won't hurt. Add too much and it will sap some of the nitrogen out of the pile.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/29/2013, 10:46 pm

I was given a couple of pounds of old shredded coconut.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/29/2013, 11:04 pm

Kelejan wrote:I was given a couple of pounds of old shredded coconut.
That would be a good addition to a compost pile, for sure! Nice gift! What a Face 

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/30/2013, 1:28 am

tomthebuilder wrote:how about saw dust and wood shavings from a wood planner. bounce

I got some great compost that was sawdust and crab and shrimp shells. The heap was allowed to sit for a year before being sold. I added it to my regular compost pile at the end of the summer so all would be ready in spring. I saw a garden that was made from an earlier heap and it was lush.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/30/2013, 6:30 am

walshevak wrote:

I got some great compost that was sawdust and crab and shrimp shells.  The heap was allowed to sit for a year before being sold.  I added it to my regular compost pile at the end of the summer so all would be ready in spring.  I saw a garden that was made from an earlier heap and it was lush.

Kay
nice! I love the lobster compost from my region, which includes forest products. Tom, can you get any shrimp hull waste?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/30/2013, 12:42 pm

camprn wrote:
Kelejan wrote:I was given a couple of pounds of old shredded coconut.
That would be a good addition to a compost pile, for sure! Nice gift! What a Face 
That was from my neighbour friend Persis who lives just down the road.  She faithfully saves for me every scrap of compostable stuff; egg shells, tea leaves and coffee grounds, orange peels banana skins, greens, just about everything one can think of.  She has an excellent varied diet with plenty of vegetables and her health is great. Does not have a car but walks  everywhere she can or else takes the bus and often walks back home; nearly every day. She was visiting her family this Christmas and brought back even more stuff. She takes a huge interest in the products of my compost piles and my Worm Hilton.  During the summer I have the grass cuttings from her lawn no pesticides). She is my treasure.
Becasue of her I have cleared a pathway to my current compost pile so the I can pile the stuff on as she gives it to me. Last year I put the stuff in the old freezer I have in my utility room, but I thought it would be a better idea to put it straight on the heap so the by the time spring arrives some of it will be composting away.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  dk54321 1/29/2014, 10:42 am

One year, my wife's workplace decorated for Halloween with pumpkins, straw bales, and a scarecrow stuffed with straw. When they took them down, the pumpkins weren't really usable because they'd sat outside for a month. The boss was wondering how to recycle them, so when my wife said I could compost them, she was thrilled. I threw all the pumpkins and straw into my compost bin. The next year, I had pumpkin vines in my compost bin. They were very productive, and even escaped into the lawn. I kept cutting them back to keep them in the compost pile, but once when I was mowing the lawn, I ran over two pumpkins.
dk54321
dk54321

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/29/2014, 1:12 pm

Only a composter would have pumpkins to accidentally run over with a lawn mower!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/29/2014, 6:55 pm

Heh, that suggests a pretty comical image -- I can see how you could accidentally run over a grape with a lawn mower, but accidentally running over a pumpkin? Very Happy

Musta been babies, I guess?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/29/2014, 7:17 pm

Had the same event with trailing marrow vines last year the things grew five feet across the lawn in the 14 days we were away .
So I cut the baby marrows ( courgettes ) off and showed them what an 1800 watt 240 volt rotary mower with grass box feels like .

I tend to weekly  harvest our comfrey in a similar manner , if it's over the garden it's theirs , if it's over the lawn it's mine .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  dk54321 1/29/2014, 11:52 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Heh, that suggests a pretty comical image -- I can see how you could accidentally run over a grape with a lawn mower, but accidentally running over a pumpkin?  Very Happy

Musta been babies, I guess?
The grass (and weeds) grow faster around my compost bin, so they were deep enough to hide 4 inch pumpkins!
dk54321
dk54321

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/30/2014, 4:46 pm

I had to stop adding kitchen scraps to the compost pile because of wood rats. They chewed their way in and invited their friends join them. I now save the scraps for my worm bin, and add seaweed that I bring home with me after fishing. I try to break it up with my grungy old food processor to help get it broken down faster.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/30/2014, 6:40 pm

Whenever I have herbal supplements expire, or if I no longer have a need for their services (yay! not working in an old moldy building anymore!) I throw them into the compost. Just a powdered form of dried herbs!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/31/2014, 3:58 pm

Insurance salesmen, girl scouts, Avon ladies, Herbalife touts, census takers, Jehovah's witnesses, curious neighbors, children ignoring the "Enter Not" sign while coming to retrieve a lost frisbee or ball ... the usual, I guess. Private detectives, court summons, sheaves of cryptic ramblings about the coming apocalypse and the advent of Cthulhu's rise from the sunken city of R'lyeh in the ocean depths to begin his billion year reign with earth as his foothold back into our dimension and across the cosmos. I guess the same as everybody else.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/31/2014, 4:48 pm

You forgot solar panel salesman. If they only looked up they might notice something on our roof!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/31/2014, 5:09 pm

Marc Iverson wrote: . . . . sheaves of cryptic ramblings about the coming apocalypse and the advent of Cthulhu's rise from the sunken city of R'lyeh in the ocean depths to begin his billion year reign with earth as his foothold back into our dimension and across the cosmos.  I guess the same as everybody else.

I would be a bit wary of chucking messages from Cthulhu as I believe he can be quite nasty. I doubt you can hide for a billion years. Please be careful.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? - Page 5 Empty Compost method

Post  MitchHardy 4/25/2015, 8:47 pm

I'm brand new on this forum, and this thread is way to long for me to get all the way through it, so this might be old hat.

Anyway, here is my super-sophisticated composting method. I line a paper grocery bag with newspaper and set it on the floor next to my kitchen counter, with more newspaper underneath it "just in case". As I prep meals, clean up, make coffee, etc. all the kitchen wastes (including wet paper towels) go into the paper bag. When it either get's filled up, starts to get too wet, company is coming, or the mood strikes me, I carry it out to the current pile I'm building and toss it on, bag, newspaper, and all. I try to keep some straw or leaves, etc. and a pitch fork near the pile so I can cover up the new addition. All that fresh, wet, green material in the bag is more than enough to enable the digestion of the paper as well as a good portion of the leaves and straw by the next time I turn the pile (with the front-loader on my tractor).
MitchHardy
MitchHardy

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/26/2015, 7:24 am

I love that idea! But I'm afraid we'd be infested with fruit flies. Do you get fruit flies? Then what?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 4/27/2015, 8:17 pm

Great thread, particularly the link to 163 things you can compost. I will be composting for the first time in years. When I did it before, I added small amounts of wood stove ash (mostly from ash trees, so ash ash), selected sawdust  (mostly pine and spruce, never walnut, pressure treated, plywood or cedar), and every spring I would sacrifice a beer to the composter to get it going.

I remember reading somewhere to avoid citrus peel (like cedar, the oil contains a natural preservative).

Did I see something on here about limiting coffee grounds?
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 4/28/2015, 1:15 pm

We put lots of smashed or partially roten citrus in our compost pile every year far more than what any one else would have if ya aint got a bunch of citrus trees around.  It breaks down nicely.  We bury it and in 6 months its soil.  I am talking about a big wheel barow or half a doxen 5 gallon buckets full at a time.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/28/2015, 7:15 pm

Fungi break down the toxic component in citrus oil, so tossing them in compost works, but it is not good to dump the peels in worm composters. The oil is toxic and fresh peels will kill the worms, springtails, mites, and pill bugs in the worm bin; however, over time, fungi break those peels down and the bin bugs and worms will be alright eating that, if they survive the initial exposure.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 4/29/2015, 6:17 am

So, citrus is ok then?
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/29/2015, 7:22 am

I make my own yogurt and strain it to give it the thick texture, so I end up with LOTS of the liquid 'whey' left.  What I don't use in cooking (making bread or waffles) gets poured on my compost pile.  From what I have read, it is supposed to be a decent accelerator.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/29/2015, 7:38 am

Goosegirl wrote:I make my own yogurt and strain it to give it the thick texture, so I end up with LOTS of the liquid 'whey' left.  What I don't use in cooking (making bread or waffles) gets poured on my compost pile.  From what I have read, it is supposed to be a decent accelerator.

OMG!  We should be roommates. I often put the whey in my smoothies. I love it, and will sometimes drink it plain. I  usually end up giving the yogurt cheese to my mom or tossing it in the compost if it´s not organic. Not a big fan of todays dairy.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next