Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden isn't doing anything Toplef10Garden isn't doing anything 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden isn't doing anything I22gcj10Garden isn't doing anything 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden isn't doing anything Toplef10Garden isn't doing anything 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden isn't doing anything I22gcj10Garden isn't doing anything 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden isn't doing anything

+5
camprn
Unmutual
Grandpop
CharlesB
hockeymom3229
9 posters

Go down

Garden isn't doing anything Empty Garden isn't doing anything

Post  hockeymom3229 6/6/2012, 5:21 pm

I'm a newbie and maybe my expectations are too high. I planted my garden 2 months ago and have had very little activity. The plants came up and have a few leaves but that is it. They aren't progressing. They get about 8 hours of sunlight in the afternoon and filtered light in the morning. I live in West Texas and water every evening. Some of the plants' leaves look burned/dried out. I have mulched. Any ideas to get the process boosted and going again would be appreciated. I am doing a totally organic garden, is that the problem? I really don't want to put chemicals on it as the whole reason for having the garden is so we can have produce that is chemical free. I have invested about $300 so would rally like to reap something from this endeavor. Thanks so much for your shared wisdom.

Alicia

San Angelo, TX
hockeymom3229
hockeymom3229

Back to top Go down

Garden isn't doing anything Empty Pics

Post  CharlesB 6/6/2012, 5:28 pm

Some pics would be helpful. Also your daily temps, high's and lows. Rainfall amounts and if you know it your soil temps.

What did you use for compost? Did you plant seeds or use starts? Where were they from?

Etc.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Garden isn't doing anything Empty Re: Garden isn't doing anything

Post  Grandpop 6/6/2012, 5:47 pm

hockeymom3229 wrote:I'm a newbie and maybe my expectations are too high. I planted my garden 2 months ago and have had very little activity. The plants came up and have a few leaves but that is it. They aren't progressing. They get about 8 hours of sunlight in the afternoon and filtered light in the morning. I live in West Texas and water every evening. Some of the plants' leaves look burned/dried out. I have mulched. Any ideas to get the process boosted and going again would be appreciated. I am doing a totally organic garden, is that the problem? I really don't want to put chemicals on it as the whole reason for having the garden is so we can have produce that is chemical free. I have invested about $300 so would rally like to reap something from this endeavor. Thanks so much for your shared wisdom.

Alicia

San Angelo, TX

Ditto! I spread some lime a week ago in hopes to "cool down" what may be too strong of a manure compost. My plants took off like gang busters, but then just fizzled. thinking
Grandpop
Grandpop

Male Posts : 79
Location : Newbern, TN, 7A, Extreme West Tn. - 15 Miles from Miss. River.

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 6/6/2012, 6:02 pm

It sounds to me like you might have planted seed too late and the hot weather may have set in(we did have an early spring after all). Seedlings can't handle hot weather as well as established plants. Mulching was a first good step. But the problem with mulching and watering is, you have to check the moisture level of the soil itself. Also, water early in the morning(earlier the better, my drip timer is set for 4am) so you can avoid fungal issues and more of the water can move into the soil before heat and evaporation take it away. Since we're dealing with young/stunted plants, remove the mulch around the base of the plant and water deeply around the plant(try not to water ON the plant though). Replace the mulch after.

If you have any way of giving these plants some shade from noon till dusk, I'd do it, just to give them a fighting chance.

Now if watering and heat aren't your issues here, then pictures would definitely help. Knowing what type of plants you are trying to grow will help too(pictures don't always tell what the plant is).
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/6/2012, 6:03 pm

Hi Alicia, Garden isn't doing anything 396615 to the SFG Forum. Did you make Mel's Mix according to the recipe in the All New Square Foot Gardening book? I too am curious about your chosen 5 different composts. As Charles said, a few photos would certainly give us more information to assist you.

Grandpop, with any intervention there will be a reaction and often leads to another intervention... Did you use the manure to top dress the garden? And what led you to make the decision to use the manure now? I hope things bounce back.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Garden isn't doing anything WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 6/6/2012, 6:40 pm

Sometimes there are weeks were nothing seems to be happening. No veggies to pick, no weeds to pull (veggies are too big to let them in). A time to just water and enjoy.

Then POOF, everything grows 6" a week, and there's lots to do.

We know some things about the seasons of a plant's life, but not everything. Sometimes it seems like its a weather condition that causes the 'cycle' and other times it just seems to be a 'cycle.'

The first two weeks of May were "May grey" and everything grew like mad. The last two weeks of May were 82 one day, 65 the next, and they days generally hovered around 70. Not much happened. Our "June gloom" is here, and what will the pattern be as the days get warmer?

Our spring plants are ending, and summer ones are beginning to flower and produce.

Alicia, I agree with Camp. Get into the details of your compost.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Garden isn't doing anything Empty response

Post  hockeymom3229 6/6/2012, 10:17 pm

Thank you all for your help. I am currently in Georgia and hubs is taking care of the gardin until I get home on Sunday. I will get pics to post then. About the other questions...here goes. I used Mel's approved mix for West Texas. It's called Ladybug Mix by John Dromgoole. I spoke to Mel's customer service rep about the mix and they verified that Mel did indeed approve the Ladybug Mix. Cost me $18/bag. I did plant late from seed and it has been hot. Upper 80's to 103. Mulch is not covering the "bowl" around the base of the plant where I water. I can switch my watering from evening to morning. I'm not sure about soil temp as I've never taken it but it feels cool to the touch in the evening when I water and in the mornings when i go outside to drink coffee. There's no way to give afternoon shade, that is the only direct sunlight they get from noon on til sunset. I hope that gives you some more to go on. Thanks again.

a
hockeymom3229
hockeymom3229

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/7/2012, 11:52 am

I'm wondering if you need to water morning and afternoon. Those are some pretty high temps and if you have not been having much rain they could be drying out during the day. If an additional watering perks them up and they start greening up, then some compost tea might give them a boost.
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/7/2012, 12:13 pm

Here is a quick fix for shade and some sun. How about a couple of green metal posts, also called u posts. Put them on the west side, close to the bed(s). Attach burlap from your garden store. It is very lightweight, comes in different lengths and widths, wallah I have found it gives both perfect shade and lets in sun. Recently my baby transplants did fine in several days of hot sunny 90's with just a little help from burlap. It's my new favorite garden helper, love the stuff. I also have critter cages on all the boxes and clothes pinned the burlap on the west side of the cages. Tulle, or bridal veil is often used and praised a lot on this forum too. It can be put right on the plants.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  crs 6/7/2012, 2:48 pm

LLM I am glad to hear about burlap. Went into a discount store and they had it for 5.00 a roll of 3'x24' I bought 4. Wasnt sure what to do with it but now i know one way to use it. Thanks
Connie
crs
crs

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/7/2012, 3:04 pm

Yay! Glad to help.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down