Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( Toplef10Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( I22gcj10Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( Toplef10Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( I22gcj10Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by markqz Today at 9:57 am

» Think Spring 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 9:08 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :(

2 posters

Go down

Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( Empty Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :(

Post  trprince 6/6/2012, 6:10 am

Within a week of our fabulous box being built and some transplants going in, other direct sow goodies...our seeds were sprouting and then one week after that, insects too. Sad I was able to take some pictures yesterday and would love any help/advice yall have identifying and where to look for learning what I need to about getting these gone (unless they are good but I am not holding out much hope for that) Smile

These were taking with a macro lens so I could get right on the plant and the dirt

Here goes...thinking this is an aphid...
Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( 2012ga11

Then my bean leaves on one of the 8 plants went from pretty and new to this...
Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( 2012ga12

and these super tiny and fast moving somethings are crawling ALL throughout our box. They are not in the Mel's mix I have in other pots (we had a ton left over after mixing) they are only in my main planting garden.
Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( 2012ga13
Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( 2012ga14

Thanks so much for your help! I look forward to growing as a gardener in community with you all!
Smile Teresa
trprince
trprince

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( Empty Re: Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :(

Post  Unmutual 6/6/2012, 7:43 am

Go here and check your planting dates. I know for Louisiana, the early planting dates are there to avoid most insect population booms during the summer months, so you can expect something to harvest without spraying.

I can't overstate the usefulness of the County Agents and their Master Gardener volunteers, along with any publications that are available, mostly for free! Feel free to look at other Land grant university websites for generic information(such as composting, propagation and generic methods of gardening, especially ideas on vertical growing) and also extension.org for free webinars on organic farming(which most of the information can be used on a garden scale).

I'm not sure about Alabama, but the Louisiana vegetable guide also has fertilizer recommendations, which you can cheerfully ignore since you're growing in compost! Though I guess knowing what plants are heavy feeders may help, since a side dressing of a specific nutrient might be important.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :( Empty Re: Two weeks in to gardening ever and learning about insects :(

Post  trprince 6/6/2012, 7:57 am

Thank you SO much! I am such a newbie I did not know anything like that was in place! I am off to check that out...I appreciate your help Smile
trprince
trprince

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down