Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
starting to get potatoes - Page 2 Toplef10starting to get potatoes - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

starting to get potatoes - Page 2 I22gcj10starting to get potatoes - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
starting to get potatoes - Page 2 Toplef10starting to get potatoes - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

starting to get potatoes - Page 2 I22gcj10starting to get potatoes - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

starting to get potatoes

+11
CharlesB
yolos
gregrenee88
walshevak
AvaDGardner
michellentn
efirvin
Turan
Nonna.PapaVino
FamilyGardening
Josh
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

starting to get potatoes - Page 2 Empty Re: starting to get potatoes

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/17/2012, 1:35 pm

Wow, Josh, your haul is amazing. A real poster child for SFG! Thanks for the pics. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/17/2012, 2:00 pm

Josh, you are such an inspiration to us "older" folks. I haven't had the courage to dig into my potatoes. I want to be surprised or disappointed all at once and get it over with. Wink

The vines on my potatoes are still blooming and are drooping over the highrises so much that I had to move them over to give the carrots some sunshine. I have never had potatoes get that high.

greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 7/17/2012, 5:20 pm

southern gardener wrote:wow! that's impressive Josh! wtg!! what do you have in your compost mix that you think is working so well? We are trying to get a "really good" compost pile going for filling up squares as we plant. Thanks!!
I plant the potatoes in the same SFG every year, that may not be the thing to do, but that's what I do. In the spring I "fluff" up the Mel's mix, and add one thing to it, rabbit poop. The potatoes don't get any special caring for, I don't give them worm compost or tea, I don't always water them as much as I do the other SFGs, the potatoes are pretty much on their own, they grow or they don't. I add some rabbit poop to them maybe 2 - 3 times more until they bloom, sometimes they don't always bloom, but they always have potatoes. Since we had such a dry garden year, and I didn't always water them, they might have gotten bigger if I had watered them, but even small they are still good to eat! There was no bad ones in the bunch, bug and disease free. The white ones are a smaller round white potato and the red ones were from store bought red potatoes.

I use a lot of rabbit poop in the SFGs. I use worm compost and tea on special things to me that I want to do extra well, like tomatoes, big pumpkins, carrots, things like that. I have one 4 x 4 SFG that has a worm tube, and I must say it puts out pretty nice stuff.

Southern gardener, if you don't have rabbits and you don't want to raise rabbits, look for someone in your area that sells rabbits, I bet if you find someone they will give you some rabbit poop. It can go right on the garden, you don't have to compost it first.

Be sure to keep me posted greatgranny on your results, maybe you will be the one with the biggest potato for the BIG STUFF

click here to see my fertilizer maker:
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/17/2012, 6:50 pm

thanks Josh for the info. I have access to about all the alpaca manure I want, is it close to rabbit manure? Not too many rabbit people around here pale
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/17/2012, 6:55 pm

Josh wrote:
southern gardener wrote:wow! that's impressive Josh! wtg!! what do you have in your compost mix that you think is working so well? We are trying to get a "really good" compost pile going for filling up squares as we plant. Thanks!!
I plant the potatoes in the same SFG every year, that may not be the thing to do, but that's what I do. In the spring I "fluff" up the Mel's mix, and add one thing to it, rabbit poop. The potatoes don't get any special caring for, I don't give them worm compost or tea, I don't always water them as much as I do the other SFGs, the potatoes are pretty much on their own, they grow or they don't. I add some rabbit poop to them maybe 2 - 3 times more until they bloom, sometimes they don't always bloom, but they always have potatoes. Since we had such a dry garden year, and I didn't always water them, they might have gotten bigger if I had watered them, but even small they are still good to eat! There was no bad ones in the bunch, bug and disease free. The white ones are a smaller round white potato and the red ones were from store bought red potatoes.

I use a lot of rabbit poop in the SFGs. I use worm compost and tea on special things to me that I want to do extra well, like tomatoes, big pumpkins, carrots, things like that. I have one 4 x 4 SFG that has a worm tube, and I must say it puts out pretty nice stuff.

Southern gardener, if you don't have rabbits and you don't want to raise rabbits, look for someone in your area that sells rabbits, I bet if you find someone they will give you some rabbit poop. It can go right on the garden, you don't have to compost it first.

Be sure to keep me posted greatgranny on your results, maybe you will be the one with the biggest potato for the BIG STUFF

click here to see my fertilizer maker:

Cute pic of bunny. I love rabbits as long as they stay out of my garden. My cats keep them away.

Don't have to compost it? That is good to know. Now I just have to find a rabbit farmer. Wink Think I'll check out the area for free rabbit "turds" - as my kids would say. Do you just drop them in the MM without breaking them up? Hope so.

I too have not been watering my potatoes as much as the rest of the garden. I recall wet years when gardening the "other" way. The potatoes were not good. Some even seemed to be rotting right in the ground.

greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/17/2012, 11:49 pm

yolos wrote:My potatoes never flowered. The tops eventually died and I dug them up. One variety was red pontiac and they were a good size for that variety. The other were white baking type (can't remember the name) and on the small size but still big enough for me.

My potatoes were the same as yours! I didn't get flowers either but I am getting potatoes like you, mostly smaller but a few were bigger. I planted a 4' x 6' and I should have planted closer.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/17/2012, 11:51 pm

walshevak wrote:Here's this years harvest of potatos from my house.
from the orange potato sack
starting to get potatoes - Page 2 Dscn0823

and the blue bin along with todays harvest. tomato, lettuce, green beans, eggplant, thai basil, potatos, carrots and broccoli greens.

starting to get potatoes - Page 2 Dscn0824

Kay

Very nice harvest Kay! Beautiful!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2