Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pea production finished? Toplef10Pea production finished? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pea production finished? I22gcj10Pea production finished? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pea production finished? Toplef10Pea production finished? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pea production finished? I22gcj10Pea production finished? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pea production finished?

4 posters

Go down

Pea production finished? Empty Pea production finished?

Post  kgooding 5/30/2012, 10:43 am

Brief question about sugar snaps in the spring here in GA. I planted my sugar snaps 5 weeks before my last spring frost date (as instructed in the book) and started harvesting about 5 weeks ago. My harvest was going okay (although 2 squares was not enough of a planting!) but now it's turned hot and I'm not seeing any more flowers. I've giving them quite a bit of water and I've been very careful to harvest frequently and early in hopes of keeping up production but I'm wondering if it's time to just pull them out and plant something else in their squares. The vines are actually looking healthy but I'm not sure if maybe it's just getting too hot for them. If we do have a bit of a cool down will they start flowering again? Is 2 weeks normal for a spring pea harvest in the lower south?

Thanks for the answers!

Katie
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Pea production finished? Empty Re: Pea production finished?

Post  walshevak 5/30/2012, 11:28 am

In the part of NC that I'm familiar with zone 8 coastal region, May is pea harvest month. In fact the local name by oldtimers is May Peas. By the 1st of June the weather is frequently too hot for more pea production. Having said that, I think I may get one more week from the squares I planted on Mar 12. The Jan 28 and Feb 12 plantings are putting out maybe 1 bloom per plant.

So, the answer is yes, I expect the weather has gotten too hot for more pea production and if you got 5 weeks of harvest that's probably about right. So lesson learned, plant many more squares of peas next year, freeze the excess and replace with pole bean as the trellis is already there. I planted 10 squares and still didn't freeze but one batch because the peas never made it in from the garden. I would pick and eat.

Another thing I'm trying this year. About two weeks ago I planted a summer squash in the next square over from the peas, but really close to the north grid of pea roots. It is just showing true leaves and by the time it needs the trellis, the peas will be ready to pull up.

trellis

P P P P

S X X S

X X X X

X Y Y X

Pole beans will replace the two middle Ps and the Xs have greens planted already. Mustard, turnip, and chard. The Y is a butternut squash and will sprawl over the edge.

Let's hope this works.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  kgooding 5/30/2012, 3:08 pm

I like the idea of having the squash ready to go on the trellis when the peas are done. That's smart. I was planning on just putting some pole beans in there. I already have a few squares, but a few more won't hurt. My only concern is that I would like to do a fall planting of the sugar snaps which according to the book should be planted 10 weeks before my first fall frost date, which for me is a planting date of 8/16. Based on what I'm reading it seams that to pull off having fall peas I'd have to rip out pole beans that are still producing or tomatoes or melons that I also have along the trellis, so I kind of hesitate to do that. I guess next spring I will try planting a bit earlier and covering as needed to try to get closer to the 5 weeks of production in the spring! The hardest part of this project is that I grew up in WI with a gardening grandma and zone 3B acts just a bit different than mine! Heck, I don't think she got her peas in the ground until the end of May, beginning of June!

Thanks for the help!
kgooding
kgooding

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/30/2012, 4:26 pm

Then squash might work because I've never been able to keep my squash away from the dreaded SVB past Aug. Although I'm going to try like crazy this year.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  kgooding 6/7/2012, 7:22 pm

Just as an FYI in case anyone finds this thread/question in a future thread, before pulling out the peas I checked the weather and saw we were going to have a few cool rainy days in the near future so I decided to leave them and see what happens. Glad I didn't pull them out, they are blooming again happily and I'm seeing more peas! After this round of flowering I think they will have to come out though, July/August in Hotlanta just don't see many cool days!
kgooding
kgooding

Back to top Go down

Post  marietta mike 7/16/2012, 2:01 am

Katie

Mike from Marietta here. I had the same issue. Peas were putting out like gang busters then the temp went up. I watered them twice a day trying to help them out, but i finely just threw up my hands. With my watering and the overnight rains we have been getting they still would not flower so this pasted Saturday 7/14 i pulled them up.
I knew it was time. They were looking wilted and were letting go of their support. (trellises) The last few pods i got were dull in color as well. I set them in a window for a couple days but not much help. I am going to make sure that i plant a bit earlier next spring. As a new SFG i read the book and was ready to go, but i kept getting advice from old timers who told me to wait another frost is due and i would loose my crop. 2 weeks after the last frost i put my seeds in the ground. Next spring i will plant by the info in the Almanac and my SFG'ing book !!

mike
marietta mike
marietta mike

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/16/2012, 11:17 am

Peas can go in up to 5 weeks BEFORE your last frost so you got a late start if you planted after. They are one of the few crops that likes some cold weather. Start earlier next year and sow more seeds every 2 weeks til frost so you can spread out your harvest. They don't grow well in summer.
My last planting was May 12th and they are doing great right now but will peter out soon.
Pea production finished? 07-09-19
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/16/2012, 5:48 pm

I pulled the last of mine before I left town and the squash was starting to invade the space as planned. The earliest pea vines were pulled in late June and replanted with lima beans. Those plants were just starting to reach the trellis when I left.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down