Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. Toplef10My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. I22gcj10My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. Toplef10My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. I22gcj10My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow.

+3
stripesmom
elliephant
Coelli
7 posters

Go down

My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. Empty My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow.

Post  Coelli 5/28/2012, 5:20 pm

Hoping someone can help identify this as I am not quite sure whether I am having a problem with disease or the after-effects of overwatering. Here's the patient:

My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. 7289807826_21382e6f7e

The zucchini is still a baby, and I was probably overwatering it until recently (I finally got a moisture meter). It's planted in a 2x3 cement mixing tub with plenty of holes in the bottom and is elevated to help with drainage.

The white parts are not powdery mildew - they're the way the leaves are colored. It's *in* the leaf, not on it, if that makes sense.

This happens to the bottom leaves. I've been removing them when they get to about this state. The base of the plant(s - I think there might be two together) is full of new growth.

Any thoughts on whether this is disease or if it's possibly from too much water? There doesn't seem to be anything on the surface of the leaves (like rust spores). The zucchini is in full sun for about 9-10 hours a day right now. I should add that this is not planted in MM - it's a mishmash of leftover, too-sandy MM and a couple of different kinds of compost.

Thanks!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. Empty Re: My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow.

Post  elliephant 5/28/2012, 6:03 pm

Is there anything on the underside of the leaves?
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. Empty Re: My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow.

Post  stripesmom 5/28/2012, 6:39 pm

Your soil may need potassium.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/28/2012, 7:09 pm

It does look like it's missing something. This may be one of the times when a bit of the oh my gosh Miracle Gro might be needed. Rowena was also posting about using epsom salts on yellow leaves. Hope she sees this.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/28/2012, 7:17 pm

elliephant, there's nothing on the underside of the leaves either which is why I'm puzzled at the cause.

Potassium hmm? I will look into that!
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 5/28/2012, 8:00 pm

I agree with Kay, I do use Miracle Grow and it helps when there are deficencies. I know some people are opposed to it, so it's up to you. You could also try some wood ash. Not too much, or it will sweeten the soil.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/28/2012, 10:50 pm

In another thread there was talk about that silvering, turned out it is damage from white flys. Those are really tiny and would be sapping the energy of your young plants. A light spray with a couple drops of soap and mineral oil in it should take care of them.

Squash are heavy feeders also. They can live easily and happily in a compost pile. So give it a feeding to help it out grow whatever. It will love some compost/worm/fish/miracle gro tea.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/28/2012, 11:22 pm

The white parts are normal mottling of some squash. Here is a good link with pictures:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gourds/msg0409541710037.html
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/29/2012, 12:12 am

In California there is something called the silverleaf white fly. I, also, thought that the silvery color that shows up at vein junctures on zucchini was just normal to that plant. But a thread here showed me other wise. I still wonder if it is not normal for some as well.... but yellowed, stressed leaves with silvering sounds pretty damning evidense of white fly. Next step is to look for them.

Another thread on this~ Silverleaf on squash

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/29/2012, 12:54 am

I'll keep looking, but I haven't seen any pests really. I did spray the plant down with a neem and soap solution a week or so ago, just in case - it's probably due again, so I'll do it tomorrow.

The nutrient deficiency sounds promising, too. I have some fish emulsion I'll use tomorrow (the tomatoes would probably appreciate it too!).
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/29/2012, 1:25 am

Turan wrote:In California there is something called the silverleaf white fly. I, also, thought that the silvery color that shows up at vein junctures on zucchini was just normal to that plant. But a thread here showed me other wise. I still wonder if it is not normal for some as well.... but yellowed, stressed leaves with silvering sounds pretty damning evidense of white fly. Next step is to look for them.

Another thread on this~ Silverleaf on squash

Check this link. The mottled pattern caused by the sliverleaf white fly is quite different from the normal mottling:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef319.asp

Here is more interesting info on possible causes:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/diseases/viruses.aspx
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/29/2012, 1:31 am

Thanks for those links! I am pretty sure that the markings on my zucchini are normal variegations and not disease or pests (all in all it's pretty pest-free). The yellowing however is definitely something else. I'll give it a good boost of fertilizer and see if that helps resolve any deficiencies first, then go from there!
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/29/2012, 1:46 am

Good infos!
I have been looking at pictures in seed catalogs because I had this sneaky feeling that some varieties intentionally have this.

My Black Beauty zucchini keeps trying to turn yellow. Sq810
Patio Star Zuccini

So I think when I see this I will watch for whiteflys and think it pretty.

Coelli, sounds like a good plan.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/29/2012, 10:32 am

walshevak wrote:It does look like it's missing something. This may be one of the times when a bit of the oh my gosh Miracle Gro might be needed.

in my opinion, no home gardener should ever feel bad about using a little miracle gro! or for using a little synthetic pesticide if needed. sure, we want to be as organic as possible, but we also want to grow food and no home gardener i know will just indiscriminately use herbicides, pesticides, or synthetic fertilizers in the same careless and liberal way they are used in agriculture. home gardeners use what is needed only when it is needed, in the amounts needed, and they stop using it when it is no longer needed. the food you grow in your own garden will ALWAYS be better, more nutritious, healthier, cheaper, than anything you can buy in any store, even in a farmers market, because unless you truly have to go to the back 40 to harvest your dinner, you are probably not even getting in the car to get it.

Rowena was also posting about using epsom salts on yellow leaves. Hope she sees this.

to my knowledge epsom salts is only indicated for yellowing leaves in tomatoes and peppers. i haven't heard of it being used for squashes but i'll be happy to ask the folks i consult at the ag center in nashville and the TN extension office.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/31/2012, 9:42 am

rowena___. wrote:to my knowledge epsom salts is only indicated for yellowing leaves in tomatoes and peppers. i haven't heard of it being used for squashes but i'll be happy to ask the folks i consult at the ag center in nashville and the TN extension office.

ok, i checked my regular sources and they suggest that epsom salts is only indicated for squash if they are experiencing blossom end rot or trouble with fruit set. otherwise, it doesn't have any practical purpose.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/31/2012, 12:24 pm

Thanks for checking! I worked some organic fertilizer into the soil (this one), and stuck a few Jobe's Organics spikes (half the recommended amount) around it for now. I hesitated to use the fish emulsion yet because I think you need to dilute it in water, and I'm trying to be careful of how much water it's getting. I don't want to drench it on top of what it's getting from the drip irrigation system.

Still no pests on it either, btw - I have been checking. My garden has stayed remarkably pest-free so far (other than a thirsty digging squirrel). I'm a little shocked. Of course, I shouldn't have said that...

Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down