Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? Toplef10Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? I22gcj10Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? Toplef10Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? I22gcj10Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Why are my radishes not forming bulbs?

+7
Turan
gwennifer
RoOsTeR
southern gardener
landarch
Kelejan
BetsyC
11 posters

Go down

Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? Empty Why are my radishes not forming bulbs?

Post  BetsyC 5/27/2012, 4:26 pm

I have my radishes in a nice, sunny spot in the SFG, and I am getting beautiful, healthy tops but NO radish bulbs thus far. I haven't added any fertilizer to the mix, and I started with Lowes' brand of SFG mix. It hasn't been too hot in VA so far, though it has been the last couple of days. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you.
BetsyC
BetsyC

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? Empty Re: Why are my radishes not forming bulbs?

Post  BetsyC 5/27/2012, 8:29 pm

Anyone, please?
BetsyC
BetsyC

Back to top Go down

Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? Empty Re: Why are my radishes not forming bulbs?

Post  Kelejan 5/27/2012, 8:34 pm

Too much nitrogen, Betsy? I think you need more potassium. (That's off the top of head, put me right someone before Betsy does something wrong).
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 5/27/2012, 8:36 pm

this has not been a good year for my radishes...tops look really bad and the bulbs are so-so...I have noticed that the bulbs come on really quickly...one day there is nothing there, the next day there is some swelling, then in a couple of days a nice small radish is there to pick. So, give them a bit more time unless you want to use that square for something else.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/27/2012, 8:37 pm

I can't answer your question, but I think I am having problems with the Mel's Mix from Lowe's. I have a plant here and there that grow well, but lots are stunted, or grow tops, and no bottoms etc. I have onions that are 2 1/2 feet tall, and no bulbs. Beets with tops, and no bottoms. Tomatoes--one plant is beautiful, picture perfect, and the others are scronny and thin looking. Lettuce that is months old, and has 4 leaves and is 2" high at best. I can't figure it out either...
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/27/2012, 8:43 pm

Could be a variety of things. Heat is usually the culprit. However, overcrowding, and not enough moisture can also affect root growth. Mine have done pretty poorly this spring too. I chalk it up to the inconsistent weather we've had. Way to hot one day, then cold the next. My radishes so far have been hotter than heck. I read that is due to old seed, which I guess could also lead to poor root development.

Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 5/27/2012, 9:03 pm

Thanks, everyone! We have had very inconsistent weather thus far- in the last week and a half, we've had night temps in the low 40's, and today hit 90 . I am a pretty new SFGer, and some of my plants are doing really well- impatiens, tomatoes, peppers, beans and beets. I am tired of planting squash over & over! Something keeps lopping them off at ground level the minute they germinate. My radishes and lettuce are not doing very well. I tried planting mesclun- maybe that is too picky for a beginner like me! I am learning as I go along. For the most part, this has been lots of fun and I am looking on the positive side. cheers
BetsyC
BetsyC

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/27/2012, 9:04 pm

I can't seem to grow a radish this spring either. Tops or bottoms. No
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/28/2012, 12:44 am

I got radishes....... at last. But not much lettuce. I think it is the severe temp changes of this spring.

Betsy, is that something that is lopping off your squash a cut worm or? Maybe plant them in the garden in a solo cup with out a bottom so it makes like a mini wall protecting them?

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 5/28/2012, 1:05 am

Good idea- thanks! I was hoping for at least *some* squash! It's odd, because cucumbers are 'viney' plants too and whatever is destroying my squash hasn't touched the cukes. Strange, huh?
BetsyC
BetsyC

Back to top Go down

Post  mtottle 5/29/2012, 4:24 am

I'm having the same issue. I got a few good ones (red and white) right off the bat, but everything else has decided to go all top/no bulb. They are several feet tall and at this point they are bolting, so I'm just going to let them drop seed for another round. The one good thing is the radish greens seem to have attracted all of the aphids in the yard - which in turn attracted a ton of ladybugs! So that's now my little ladybug sanctuary/breeding ground. Smile
mtottle
mtottle

Male Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Why are my radishes not forming bulbs? Empty Re: Squash plants being lopped off

Post  dmcwriter 6/22/2012, 4:06 pm

I've had this problem too. I've replanted twice already. It keeps happening to my lima beans, too. It occurred to me, when the plants are just coming up, the stems look kind of like a worm until the leaves develop. I'm wondering it it's the grackles/starlings that we seem to have in abundance this year. I just put up a fake owl (my border collies were somewhat alarmed at first!) though the other birds may just laugh themselves silly when they see it. I think I'll try to devise some sort of cover over the squash and limas, at least until the plants are bigger.
dmcwriter
dmcwriter

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 6/22/2012, 4:36 pm

Ditto here. We got a couple teeny-tiny bulbs that we were able to munch on and they were spicy! otherwise really healthy tops and not much else. Good thing radishes are not my fav. I'll try again though as I have a theory that perhaps I will like them more when home-grown! What a Face
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 6/22/2012, 7:53 pm

I have this problem last year in my new box. Discouraged, I added some organic fertilizer. Our drought broke over the fall and by spring the box was well saturated. This spring I planted cherry belles and the other kind and they did great or at least much better. I left them in the ground longer, too - that "25" days listing was way too early for mine. My took 5-6 weeks. However, I still harvested a "no-bulber" every now and then. Water, cooler weather, potassium, and patience are the keys.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/23/2012, 12:26 pm

If your radishes are not growing bulbs you can think of them as a mustard green. They are closely related. All that family, the Brassica, have edible greens. Radish seed while still green are tasty too. We pop them out of the pod into our mouths, have never tried to cook with them but I do not see why not. They would be good in salads.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down