Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis Toplef10Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis I22gcj10Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis Toplef10Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis I22gcj10Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis

4 posters

Go down

Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis Empty Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis

Post  Hasselback 5/15/2012, 9:13 pm

Hello all.

I've been told by the seed distributor, that the Zephyr squash that I've ordered can be trained to climb a trellis. Can anyone give me any guidance on the best way to do this? Also, what (if any) pruning is advisable for this type of plant. I'm short on space...aren't we all...so I'd really like to get these guys vertical.

G.
Hasselback
Hasselback

Back to top Go down

Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis Empty Re: Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis

Post  givvmistamps 5/16/2012, 1:29 am

Hi Hasselback! I have been training my pumpkins up a trellis quite successfully! I'm using a nylon net on a metal electrical conduit frame fitted over rebar pounded into the ground. It's pretty easy to train them once they get tall enough. Just wrap the nylon net around the newest growth (gently) and then the little tendrils will grip onto the nylon to strengthen it's hold. Here's a photo of four pumpkin plants at different stages of growth:

Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis 7207695300_03a8f3acd7

My plants had extensive damage in a hailstorm, causing me to have to trim a lot of large leaves off, so they look a bit thin/leggy. The advantage is that you can see how I've gotten them trained. They seem quite happy to grow up the trellis instead of taking over a small hill, and I've managed to get four pumpkin plants into a 1'x4' box instead of having to take up a 4'x4' space for one plant. The two on the right have already put out buds, and I expect they'll bloom pretty soon. The two on the left are a couple weeks younger (and a different variety); they just got tall enough for me to start wrapping the netting around them a few days ago.

Hope that helps!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis Empty Re: Training Zephyr Squash To Climb A Trellis

Post  Hasselback 5/16/2012, 1:39 am

Thanks a million for the input.

Do you prune them at all? Are there secondary growth points that need to come off, like you pull the suckers off of tomatoes?

G.
Hasselback
Hasselback

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/16/2012, 3:44 am

My garden got hit pretty hard by a hailstorm ten days ago, so my pruning has all been to remove severely damaged leaves. You can see that some of the leaves I left on the plants have holes in them where the hail ripped right through them. I would not have pruned these plants if it hadn't been for that freak storm, followed by insects and diseases taking advantage of the weakened state of the plants.

They're only growing one vine so far, so no suckers like tomatoes. (Hopefully someone else will chime in, as this is my first year growing squash, but my experience so far says there aren't suckers.) I will note that these pumpkins have much smaller leaves than my other squash, but the other squash I'm growing are not the vining type like the pumpkins are so that may account for the leaf size difference.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  MorningSong 5/19/2012, 5:05 pm

I've grown pumpkins and winter squash vertically for years.

I usually don't prune the vines until they get to the top of my trellis. As soon as I do, secondary vines will start growing from the main one. If they get too out of hand, I crop them too, and usually they will try to put out new shoots off the secondary vines....

You really shouldn't cut the secondary vines off (like tomatoe suckers). The secondary growth will ensure a continuous harvest for the whole season.

Yet, if you have a very short growing season, that is another story... you might want to remove the secondary growth to ensure that the fruit on the main vine matures in time for harvest.
MorningSong
MorningSong

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/19/2012, 6:11 pm

Thanks for the information MorningSong. Glad to learn something today.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down