Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 Toplef10Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 I22gcj10Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 Toplef10Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 I22gcj10Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6

3 posters

Go down

Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 Empty Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6

Post  michellentn 5/14/2012, 11:39 am

Hello!

I just decided to garden this year and had a 15' x 30' garden tilled from the yard that had not had a garden in 8 years or so.

I had it tilled before I picked up the Square Foot Gardening book or I wouldn't have done it.

anyhow-i am learning so much from the book and browsing topics that people have posted on here and decided to log in after i remembered my password.

Thanks for having such a great group of gardeners and loving the topic on the redworm towers and what people have done with that. So cool.

Looking forward to learning more from all of you. I will be on here and gardening Monday-Thursday as I work 3 12 hour shifts Friday thru Saturday.

Michelle
michellentn
michellentn

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 Empty Re: Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6

Post  walshevak 5/14/2012, 12:51 pm

Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 654548 Michelle. Aren't you glad you picked up the book before planting. When you say tilled, I am assuming you had someone with a nice big rotatiller come over and chew it all up, no you out there digging. (been there, done that on a 12x15 plot) At least the tilling is not wasted. You have a clean slate on which to put your new boxes. A good layer of newspaper and/or cardboard should be enough to kill any lurking weeds under the boxes. Have you built your boxes and how many are you planning to have? Are you going to have to put mole/vole protective wire on the bottoms. What are you planting? Curious folks on this forum get real nosey about gardens. Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 930802

Seriously, if you have been browsing, I'm sure you have figgered out that we will help with questions, problems, and just general atta girls.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6 Empty Re: Hello from Knoxville Tennessee Zone 6

Post  michellentn 5/14/2012, 4:31 pm

Hello Kay,

yes-I hired someone to till it and I had to stop him from tilling anymore because he kept on tilling more yard. 15' x 30' was more than enough. I made pathways which also made raised beds. I wished I had read the ANSFG book before I started but I did some spacing recommended. I have been browsing on here and reading some good topics and enjoyed the pics posted. Looking forward to hearing more from our region as well.
michellentn
michellentn

Back to top Go down

Post  michellentn 5/14/2012, 4:39 pm

the only animals that i have to worry about is deer and birds and of course, the usual insects.

i have planted:

5 cukes, 4 eggplants, 3 green peppers, 2 jalapenos, 2 summer squash, 2 zucchinis, 5 romas, 5 better boys, 6 swiss chard, spinach, romaine and bibb, radishes, carrots, onion sets, 2 watermelon, basil, oregano, marigolds, nasturtiums, zinnias, 3 different size sunflowers. Marigolds are the only thing i bought as transplants. everything has sprouted except the bush beans and soybeans which i planted 4 days ago.
michellentn
michellentn

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 5/14/2012, 9:41 pm

Welcome to the board! We've lived in many places, including Farragut. We just visited our old stomping grounds earlier in April and were bowled over by all that is Turkey Creek! (It stopped at CarMax when we left in 2005.)

Although I only did pots of tomatoes and herbs because our lot was super shady, I do miss these two gardening places:

http://www.erinsmeadowherbfarm.com/
in Clinton for herbs and classes

http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/
in Corryton for daylilies
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  michellentn 5/15/2012, 1:22 pm

Hello JustMe,

I live about 3 miles from Turkey Creek but I had a garden tilled at my boyfriend's house in Coalfield because he has almost 4 acres. No rabbits or squirrels or cats around. Just some deer and his dog, Molly,

Glad to hear you are familiar with West Knox. Yes-it keeps growing by leaps and bounds.

I plan on going to the Biscuit Festival this weekend and hopefully take my grandson to the Children's Festival of Reading.

Thanks for making me feel welcomed on here. Love reading the various posts and seeing the great gardens growing. Wonderful community!
michellentn
michellentn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down