Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is this normal? Toplef10Is this normal? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is this normal? I22gcj10Is this normal? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is this normal? Toplef10Is this normal? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is this normal? I22gcj10Is this normal? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is this normal?

+4
H_TX_2
UnderTheBlackWalnut
camprn
jamieb29
8 posters

Go down

Is this normal? Empty Is this normal?

Post  jamieb29 5/11/2012, 12:07 pm

I finally got my box filled with the mix yesterday. I used all composted manure like I was supposed to and there is quite a smell to the whole thing. Will this smell go away after a while? I think the one composted manure that made it smell was the bag of Chickety Doo Doo.

This is my first square foot garden using the mix like it is spelled out in the book and just wondered about the smell. It is far enough away from my house that I can't smell it from the deck.

I also got a surprise when I opened my Oma Grow stuff...I had a few big fat earthworms come out of the bag, so I guess that means I have some worm castings mixed in, huh? LOL!!! Now all I have to do is put up the dividers and get to planting!
jamieb29

Back to top Go down

Is this normal? Empty Re: Is this normal?

Post  camprn 5/11/2012, 12:11 pm

Be assured the odor will simmer down in a few days. And CONGRATS! on getting your mix done! WOOT! cheers

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is this normal? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 5/11/2012, 12:19 pm

I figured it would get better in a few days. Mixing everything on the tarps really helps too! I am really hoping this mix helps me grow radishes this year....every other year I have had no luck with radishes. My daughter refuses to go near the thing until the smell goes away...she is 21 and didn't want to help me shovel poo around!
jamieb29

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/11/2012, 12:53 pm

Yes - it's normal. Chickety-Doo-Doo smells really strong, especially to those of us not used to any kind of "barnyard" or "farm" smell. Smile

I used it as one of my five composts to add to my beds this year before planting and it smelled fairly strong for about the first week. Then it smelled a bit only when I watered it for a little while after that. Now it doesn't smell at all.

Now I am a total novice gardener. I'm on year 2 of my SFG and NEVER had any gardening experience before last year. But here is what is growing in it...

First peas
Is this normal? 2012-022

Broccoli
Is this normal? 2012-023

Tiny head forming - for size the clamp is a 2" clamp (Can you believe I didn't have a coin in my pocket?) Smile
Is this normal? 2012-024

Ok just read your post about the radishes and had to go take another pic... These are French Breakfast radishes and I've had better luck with them than other varieties I tried last year.
Is this normal? 2012-025

So...hang in there. Most of us from the city don't realize that the "farm smell" is what grows us the best goodies. Smile It'll disappear in a short while. Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 5/11/2012, 1:00 pm

I knew the Chickety Doo Doo had a strong odor to it since I work at a Menard's store in the garden center and earlier when we were stocking stuff I had a bag of the Doo Doo break and we had to tape it and I ended up getting it all over my shirt and jeans...I smelled awful for the rest of my shift! LOL!!!

I now have my veggie list done and I will try the breakfast radishes instead of the other ones and see how it goes.

My list includes radish, beans, sugar snap peas, onions, green peppers, hot peppers, tomato, khlorabi, and cauliflower. I may throw in some lettuce to depending on how many squares I have left. I really want to get out there and plant today, but I still need to get my dividers in, so I better not get too ahead of myself. I am going to use some small thin wooden dowels and tie them together so they form the squares.
jamieb29

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 5/11/2012, 1:04 pm

jamieb29,
Add some phosphorous to your MM with something like bonemeal or wood ash. In the fall I had great radish tops but no bulb just wimpy little roots. I sprinkled a little bit of wood ash from my fireplace and the radish bulbs started growing.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 5/11/2012, 1:06 pm

would wood ash from my fire pit outside work? My son has been using it to burn the branches from our trees that have fallen down.
jamieb29

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 5/11/2012, 1:15 pm

I think it would be fine to use that. I have heard you don't want to use ashes from charcoal briquets due to chemicals. Did your son douse the branches in diesel or something like that to burn them? If so some of the chemicals could still be present.

I used ashed from my fireplace and they worked fine. I too the conservative approach that I can always add more if needed as to not add too much because it can throw off the ph if you do.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 5/11/2012, 3:01 pm

I will ask him to make sure just in case he used a little bit of gas from the garage.
jamieb29

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/11/2012, 3:25 pm

If the wood ash is OK also use it sprinkled on the area you're going to sow carrots as well for it is beneficial for them too. not only doe it help growth it also helps keep carrot fly at bay .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/11/2012, 5:27 pm

jamieb29 wrote:I finally got my box filled with the mix yesterday. I used all composted manure like I was supposed to and there is quite a smell to the whole thing. Will this smell go away after a while? I think the one composted manure that made it smell was the bag of Chickety Doo Doo.

Crack open a bottle of fish emulsion fertilizer and you'll find the smell from your compost will disappear immediately Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

... no, don't do that ...LOL
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/11/2012, 5:37 pm

acara wrote:
jamieb29 wrote:I finally got my box filled with the mix yesterday. I used all composted manure like I was supposed to and there is quite a smell to the whole thing. Will this smell go away after a while? I think the one composted manure that made it smell was the bag of Chickety Doo Doo.

Crack open a bottle of fish emulsion fertilizer and you'll find the smell from your compost will disappear immediately Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

rofl rofl Oh my Gosh Acara...You crack me up! Smile Yup and I have both in my shed - Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  jamieb29 5/11/2012, 5:45 pm

I know what that kind of fish fertilizer smells like from working in a garden center....LOL!!!
jamieb29

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/11/2012, 5:45 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:
Is this normal? 656620 Is this normal? 656620 Oh my Gosh Acara...You crack me up! Smile Yup and I have both in my shed - Smile

We'll keep it there & don't get it on your clothes and then come inside and toss you clothes in the family hamper.

Unfortunately, I don't own a shed ..... and it was chilly on the couple of nights I had to sleep outside, while mama calmed down.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/11/2012, 5:48 pm

acara wrote:

Is this normal? 656620 Is this normal? 656620 Oh my Gosh Acara...You crack me up! Smile Yup and I have both in my shed - Smile
LOL, an effective, if not somewhat cruel lesson in olfactory sensibility. Glad to have you back Acara! Wink Like a Star @ heaven

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is this normal? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  zomo 5/11/2012, 7:01 pm

acara wrote:

We'll keep it there & don't get it on your clothes and then come inside and toss you clothes in the family hamper.

Unfortunately, I don't own a shed ..... and it was chilly on the couple of nights I had to sleep outside, while mama calmed down.
Does that come close to how you smell when you just washed a skunky kitteh ? cyclops
zomo
zomo

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/11/2012, 7:57 pm

acara wrote:

[GAG] Is this normal? 889526 Childhood memories!!! Dad only used it one year that I remember from my childhood. That was about 40 years ago. I have never felt the need to stoop that low in my gardening ventures! I think I will go back to eating processed cheese spread before I pop open a bottle of that in my neighborhood!Is this normal? 889526

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down