Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What I've Learned So Far This Year Toplef10What I've Learned So Far This Year 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What I've Learned So Far This Year I22gcj10What I've Learned So Far This Year 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What I've Learned So Far This Year Toplef10What I've Learned So Far This Year 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What I've Learned So Far This Year I22gcj10What I've Learned So Far This Year 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What I've Learned So Far This Year

+2
littlesapphire
TejasTerry
6 posters

Go down

What I've Learned So Far This Year Empty What I've Learned So Far This Year

Post  TejasTerry 5/9/2012, 8:24 am

My husband and I were just talking about what we've learned so far this year, our first year gardening EVER, and what we're going to do different next year.

1. Squash needs a lot of room to grow. For some reason I thought I could plant 1 squash plant per square foot. What was I thinking? We are getting squash, but I think our yields would be much greater if they had a lot more room. They are going crazy taking over my other squares of stuff like green beans, etc.

2. Tomato plants will be planted every other square also. They are much too crowded and it is making it hard to pull off suckers, etc. We also built our tomato cages too short.

3. Lettuce will have it's own bed. In fact a lot of things will have their own beds. I think because we are new at this, we had no idea that certain plants are really taller than we thought, and they are hiding the sun from other plants. For instance, I thought bush beans were small and compact. They are taller than I thought, and are covering my lettuce, which is not doing well now. It did great and we got several yields for a while, but not so much now.

4. I need to get better at trimming tomato plants. I need to really keep up with them every day so that they are more "single stalk", than branching out everywhere.

I know all this stuff is pretty basic with you experienced gardeners, but I thought maybe some newbies my benefit from our observations. I guess some of you are in zones that are just starting your garden, but here in zone 8b, we are way into all of this. Despite our mistakes, it sure is fun !!! albino Here is a pic of the garden and back yard. We are getting some incredible rain this week, and this was taken yesterday while rainingWhat I've Learned So Far This Year 355843c0:
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

Back to top Go down

What I've Learned So Far This Year Empty Re: What I've Learned So Far This Year

Post  littlesapphire 5/9/2012, 9:40 am

Your garden looks great so far! I can't wait until mine looks like that, too Smile Those first couple of years gardening are the hardest, let me tell you! Just make sure to keep records so you don't make the same mistake twice Very Happy
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 5/9/2012, 10:49 am

littlesapphire wrote:Your garden looks great so far! I can't wait until mine looks like that, too Smile Those first couple of years gardening are the hardest, let me tell you! Just make sure to keep records so you don't make the same mistake twice Very Happy

yes, keeping lots of notes on everything. We planted so many different heirloom tomato plants, can't wait for some of the fruit to ripen so we can taste which ones we like best.

I'm hoping to triple the size of my garden (at least) next year. There are 2 vacant wooded lots next to us, and at one point they were for sale, but never sold. Hoping to buy them and have them fenced in by next year (deer are crazy here), so that we will have a small farm..lol

I've also recently developed an interest in growing mushrooms, but that is a whole different forum. Laughing
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/9/2012, 6:32 pm

Terry, are you sure the lettuce isn't doing poorly because of the heat? It's pretty hot for lettuce now, so I've been told that giving lettuce morning sun but afternoon shade, or using a shade cloth over your lettuce, is better. I'm definitely with you on all the other stuff...including wanting to at least triple the growing space next year! Very Happy

I love your garden!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/9/2012, 6:56 pm

Terry, I love, love LOVE YOUR GARDEN!!!! What a fabulous space. You ARE A GARDENER! cheers

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What I've Learned So Far This Year WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 5/9/2012, 8:22 pm

givvmistamps wrote:Terry, are you sure the lettuce isn't doing poorly because of the heat? It's pretty hot for lettuce now, so I've been told that giving lettuce morning sun but afternoon shade, or using a shade cloth over your lettuce, is better. I'm definitely with you on all the other stuff...including wanting to at least triple the growing space next year! Very Happy

I love your garden!

you're probably right about the lettuce and heat issue. But it is also buried now under squash vines. I totally goofed on the squash plants and spacing... Rolling Eyes Thanks for "loving" my garden.. What I've Learned So Far This Year 3170584802
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 5/9/2012, 8:24 pm

camprn wrote:Terry, I love, love LOVE YOUR GARDEN!!!! What a fabulous space. You ARE A GARDENER! cheers

WOW, thanks for being excited about my garden! I LOVE LOVE LOVE you !! I love you
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 5/9/2012, 11:25 pm

Your garden is incredible! I wish you continued success!
BetsyC
BetsyC

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/10/2012, 3:33 am

When I heard Mel speak recently he kind of chuckled that people still treat SFGs like row gardens. There is no need to have separate beds for lettuce or any other single crop. Just remember the general heights and plan accordingly. That said, I do have the zucchini in a pot next to the main bed. They are just crazy.

All the plants look so sweet when they are seedlings - it is shocking how bug they get, huh?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 5/10/2012, 8:30 am

Chopper wrote:When I heard Mel speak recently he kind of chuckled that people still treat SFGs like row gardens. There is no need to have separate beds for lettuce or any other single crop. Just remember the general heights and plan accordingly. That said, I do have the zucchini in a pot next to the main bed. They are just crazy.

All the plants look so sweet when they are seedlings - it is shocking how bug they get, huh?

I have never had row gardens, or any garden for that matter, prior to this one. I planned it like he said in the book, with different plants mixed in together as you see. I think I don't have the experience level to know the general heights yet, as you mentioned. So for me, having boxes with lettuce, boxes with squash, etc., will be a little easier at this skill level. No doubt I will have a few things mixed in with those that I know will be ok and not overshadow or get overshadowed by the main plant in that bed. Yes it IS shocking how big they get. Most of my plants I raised under lights as seedlings, and had no clue how they would look a few months later...
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum