Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Jay Bird's Garden Toplef10Jay Bird's Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Jay Bird's Garden I22gcj10Jay Bird's Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Jay Bird's Garden Toplef10Jay Bird's Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Jay Bird's Garden I22gcj10Jay Bird's Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Jay Bird's Garden

5 posters

Go down

Jay Bird's Garden Empty Jay Bird's Garden

Post  Jay Bird 4/8/2010, 10:02 am

Good Morning fellow SFG'ers! I posted to the welcome mat yesterday and decided to add some details about the garden here in the southern forum this morning. Th following is a list of total sqaures planted with what.
54sq onion @ 9 each = 486 onion sets
70 sq Strawberry @ 4 each = 280 plants, we transplanted these from the orchard
48 sq Tomato @ 1 each = 48 plants, these are mixed variety big boy, cherry, early girl etc.
48 sq Cucumber @ 2 each = 96 plants 12 of which were already started purchased at Lowes, the rest are seeds
132 sq Purple Hull Pea @ 4 each = 528 plants , We love purple hulls I expect two crops
24 sq Okra @ 1 each = 24 plants, my normal raised wide bed was double this but SFG means more per plant I may make another 4x12 just for Okra we will see
In process 2 each 2' x 12' Melon boxes to be grown on trellis.

Total sqaures to date 400

I built my boxes out of 2x8 #2 wolmanized ( yea I know chemicals leach out but I wrapped the interiors with clear plastic, in texas not much else holds up and I want these boxes to last forever) I used regular weed stop fabric on the bottoms and since I am a electrician by trade I bought 1/2" EMT and bent the conduit for the top rail and used couplings on the legs. I bought some 2" x 4" sqaure welded wire fencing and tied it to the conduit I couldnt find any of the netting as Mels recommends. I ripped 5/4 deck boards to 1/2" thick for the grids.

The SFG boxes occupy about 1/3 of my last year garden space and I have my fingers crossed that I will harvest 1/3 more yield with half the labor.
I will post some pictures in a day or so,,

I utilize Guineas and chickens for weed and bug control as well as the chicken coop is the main source of compost, we mix in autumn yard leaves with the chicken litter. And let set over winter.
I purchased the vermiculite at Mulberry Creek nursery in Paris for $22 a 4 CF bag as well as that is where I got the peat moss.

Note : we sell fresh veggies at the farmers market and what dosent sell get canned by my lovely wife and sold as pickles etc. Point is garden pays for its self, in these trying times we got to cut every corner.

We started gardening and chicken farming about three years ago (row crop) we also planted Pomegranate's(they grow well in texas) , blackberries, blueberries, and muscedines. The home grown method was our attempt to fight the grocery stores high prices for fresh veggies.

If all works out well I will be SFG gardening in a greenhouse this coming winter Yahoo!!! garden year round.
Happy Gardening Jay Bird's Garden Icon_biggrin
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Jay Bird's Garden Empty Re: Jay Bird's Garden

Post  timwardell 4/8/2010, 10:22 am

Wow JayBird,
You are livin' the SFG dream with garden that size - and a greenhouse to garden year-round. I'm jealous! Shocked
Is this your first year to SFG? What made you switch from row gardening (I mean besides all the weeds, hard work, and sweat)?

Looking forward to the pics as yours is one of the larger SFGs among those on the forum at this point.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 4/8/2010, 10:36 am

Well Tim, I switched to SFG because, Due to the recession I was laid off and sold my tractor and tiller attachment. No way would I even attempt to till with the walk behind. Then I was at books a million and found Mel's new book. A godsend it was, since now I can garden without the expense of a tractor and yes the lack of hard work weeding sweating yada yada makes it a plus. I remember last year crawling thru the bamboo teepee trellis's weeding the cucumber on hands and knees getting eat alive by fire ant's NO MORE! hipee! My wife is excited as well as she was planting last weekend she continued to remark at how much easier it was to plant in the beds.

Some day when I have more $ I want to lay flat flagstone in between the boxes so my rows will be dirt free!
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 4/8/2010, 11:12 am

Just a comment I forgot to mention , My wife decided that she could plant sqaush 1 per sqaure 12 in a row!!! I told her it was way to many. I will send pics of the jungle as they come up. I have a bet with her that she will be thinning in 30 days.

I dont know why she wont listen to me , I read the book!
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/8/2010, 11:22 am

Jay Bird wrote:My wife decided that she could plant sqaush 1 per sqaure 12 in a row!!! I told her it was way to many. I will send pics of the jungle as they come up. I have a bet with her that she will be thinning in 30 days. I dont know why she wont listen to me , I read the book!

Your wife has been talking to my wife! What a squash disaster we had last year. We squished more squash stepping on them while harvesting, than we were able to pick and eat! lol!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 4/8/2010, 2:32 pm

Jay Bird wrote:Just a comment I forgot to mention , My wife decided that she could plant sqaush 1 per sqaure 12 in a row!!! I told her it was way to many. I will send pics of the jungle as they come up. I have a bet with her that she will be thinning in 30 days.
YIKES! I made that mistake last year. This year the yellow summer squash are getting 6 squares each and the zucchini get 9 each! Yes, that's a lot of real estate but I'm doin' it by the book.

So do you have that nice East Texas sandy loam in Mount Vernon or are you far enough north that you still have a bit of black clay? I've got relatives in Palestine so I know East Texas' red dirt and sandy soil pretty well.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 4/8/2010, 2:44 pm

Mostly red clay under the box ! but now i rely totally on mels mix no more soil amendment worries
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 4/8/2010, 4:02 pm

Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 4/8/2010, 5:04 pm

I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all grown up. Shocked
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/8/2010, 5:49 pm

Jay Bird wrote:Good Morning fellow SFG'ers! I posted to the welcome mat yesterday and decided to add some details about the garden here in the southern forum this morning. Total sqaures to date 400
Shocked

Yup, that's quite impressive! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/8/2010, 8:17 pm

Jay Bird wrote:Just a comment I forgot to mention , My wife decided that she could plant sqaush 1 per sqaure 12 in a row!!! I told her it was way to many. I will send pics of the jungle as they come up. I have a bet with her that she will be thinning in 30 days.

Here's 5 spaghetti squash in a 1x8 row-and they weren't done growing yet!

Jay Bird's Garden Spagsq10
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CPN 4/10/2010, 10:50 pm

Hi. Did you plant your tomato plants every 1 square foot?

CPN
CPN

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 4/11/2010, 8:58 am

CPN<
Yes my tomatoes are one per square, I will maintain a single stem pruning method by removing all those suckers. We planted all indeterminante except for two goliath bush varieties and I put thos in the corners. I planted the goliath wednesday last week (bought at Lowes) and they had blooms, Looked at them yesterday and we now have a marble size tomato on each plant WOW!!

The Purple hulls have all broken thru , the cucumbers have started peeking thru all the plants already started have done well in transplant I am really excited.

Went to lowes and purchased another 300' of 1/2" EMT and couplings got all that installed and have started attacheing the weld wire, I hope to finish the trellis's this afternoon after church.

There has been alot of activity about blackberries on the forum, here are my comments we have about 150 linear feet of Thorned and 100' of thornless
Blackberry weeding and runner policing is a huge amount of work I believe that a 2' wide by however long box would be the excellent choice for any new plants simply because it is so hard to keep the grass out of conventional rows. I will post some pics of the blackberry patch the pics will be worth ten thousand words.
Since most thorned blackberries are vining the conduit trellis will be the way to go, I have made my own lumber trellis by ripping lumber down to 3/4" x 3/4" the problem is the wood warps and the nails rust and break, hence I will be replacing 150 feet of trellis this year. I also tried using bamboo since it was free but it dosent look very good and its difficult to attach together much less getting the vines to stay put,, such my opinion on blackberries.

Just another neat tidbit, I have a leanto with clear plastic corrugated roofing, we wrap the lean to in the spring for a small temp greenhouse, well last year I kept sveral potted cherry tomatoes under the roof thru summer, the chickens took up daytime residence under the roof as well and ate as many of the cherry tom's as we did. Well Friday my wife and I were potting some muscedine cutting and we found 3 volunteer cherry tomato plants in a corner where the balck plastic didnt cover all the dirt, I was flbergasted all the hard work , worry and care I give to seedlings in the house and here are 3 beutiful 6" tall cherry plants, MMM ! well they are now in 4" pots waiting their turn to get put in the SFG playground
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Back to top Go down

Post  CPN 4/11/2010, 9:32 am

Great!!! I have gotten mixed messages about the spacing. Of course, SFG book says plant every square. But there are some that say it is too close (even when pruned, maybe) and promotes disease, pest, etc... ALLL of which we have in HOT Alabama. This is my first year doing SFG and when I got the tomato plants in there I just couldnt imagine them having enough space. ALthough, I have never pruned the suckers, so MAYBE that will make the difference.

CPN
CPN

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down