Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  Toplef10Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  I22gcj10Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  Toplef10Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  I22gcj10Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Errr... the dog (and other problems)!

+6
plantoid
kbb964
Lindacol
GWN
KDeus
jheriot
10 posters

Go down

Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  Empty Errr... the dog (and other problems)!

Post  jheriot 4/30/2012, 9:49 am

Going to preface this by saying hubby and I are brand new to gardening. Just built our first one and filled it with MM this weekend and put the grid on last night. Planning to plant some seeds today. I've been wanting to build a hoop house for the beds (to put tulle or netting on, then plastic when needed) and now I think I really need to get a jump on that.

Here's a pic of our new beds from last night:
Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  Photo-43

Imagine the steam rolling out of my ears when I caught this (below) WALKING through it this morning affraid :
Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  Photo-44

That giant beast is Zoe. She's our 1 1/2yr old Bernese Mountain Dog. As sweet as she may appear, she has no regard for where she should and shouldn't be. And she's too tempted by the suddenly new structure in our backyard to just simply ignore it.

I'm in the Twin Cities (Hudson, WI) and we get a lot of storms in the spring/summer (in fact, we're due tomorrow for heavy rain and possible hail). I'm thinking having the hoop houses with plastic over them will at least protect the new seeds/seedlings and keep the dog out?? However, the temps this week are supposed to be warmer (70) so I don't want to bake my little seeds either. Do I just open the ends of the hoop house during the day? Would tulle or netting (instead of plastic) help protect at all against heavy rain or hail?

Another concern, if I do the hoop houses, what do I do with them once my tomato, cucs and other plants are put in and growing? They can't fit under the hoop house obviously - so how do I provide some protection against "the elements (dog included)" while allowing the vining veggies to grow?

Sorry for the length of this post - looking forward to some suggestions so I can be armed and ready to defend the garden! Very Happy
jheriot
jheriot

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  Empty Re: Errr... the dog (and other problems)!

Post  KDeus 4/30/2012, 10:11 am

Aww... what a cutie! I wish I could say that the dogs get used to having the beds there, but from my experience with my Boston, it's a fun place to play. Last year, we bought several of this type of fence panels (the ones we got were 2 to a pack) and partitioned off the area of the yard where the garden was. One of the panels can be set to swing open as a gate (we use one of those velcro wraps to secure it shut because if it's not latched, she can push it open). I wanted something nice looking that was tall enough she couldn't jump over. The only thing is, if we don't close the gate while she's out there, she'll go running around the garden like it's a forbidden play place Rolling Eyes
KDeus
KDeus

Female Posts : 71

http://www.mikkeanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  Empty Re: Errr... the dog (and other problems)!

Post  GWN 4/30/2012, 10:29 am

Dogs really seem to like nice soft dirt. Yesterday I was weeding one of my older beds (non sfg) and my dog came and "fluffed up" the bed right next to me, he likes to be next to me.
However that bed was already planted with potatoes growing..... they got fluffed up too.

One thing I have found is that once the plants are well established my dogs did not go into the beds.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/30/2012, 12:15 pm

You have a beautiful big dog. I have always admired Bernese Mountain Dogs. How big is she?

Plastic or tulle would not keep my big dogs out. In fact chicken wire, unless very firmly secured would not work for mine (ask me how I know.) Your garden looks to be a corner of your yard that you could fence off. Or maybe install one of those invisible fences used to keep dogs in or out of a certian area.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  jheriot 4/30/2012, 2:32 pm

Lindacol wrote:You have a beautiful big dog. I have always admired Bernese Mountain Dogs. How big is she?

Plastic or tulle would not keep my big dogs out. In fact chicken wire, unless very firmly secured would not work for mine (ask me how I know.) Your garden looks to be a corner of your yard that you could fence off. Or maybe install one of those invisible fences used to keep dogs in or out of a certian area.

Oh thank you Very Happy She's about 100lbs. She's a big girl and we do love her to pieces... believe it or not she's a big baby. Will not even step over the vacuum cord if it's in her way. So I think a hoop house, chicken wire or plastic would work well for her. I'm headin' to Home Depot to scout out some supplies - hoping an employee will help me out (I'm 7mo's pregnant) haha
jheriot
jheriot

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/30/2012, 7:09 pm

aw, how can you be cross when looking at those eyes! bless her

I do feel sorry for you though. Luckily my dog has not dug anything , yet, but he enjoys peeing on the sides of the hoop house!!
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/30/2012, 7:24 pm

Seeing you alreay have two sides to a full fence why not make the area fullly fenced with the same materials , giving yourself plenty of space to move around when your biggest crop is full grown
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic 4/30/2012, 9:59 pm

I have a rat terrier, so I know all about dogs digging tunnels to China in the garden.
I ended up just fencing in the main garden
As far as the weather, remember that soft structures can be blown down and hurt plants also. I see a lot of stuff around there has survived rain and wind, your garden should be fine
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/30/2012, 10:12 pm

Our golden decided she loved the new asparagus bed last year and made herself right at home digging a cool hollow for herself a few times. Luckily putting up the short plastic fences you get for a buck each were enough to keep her from repeating it.

Errr... the dog (and other problems)!  04-24-12

These would work fine along the inside of any raised boxes as well.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  manda99 5/1/2012, 12:41 pm

Not any help, but just sharing that my lovely goldendoodle was unknowingly following behind me as I planted onion starters a couple weekends ago... nibbling them out of the ground as I planted... Like a little doodle buffet.

Of course, being a new dog owner, I didn't realize onions are toxic to dogs. So after googling, I ended up with a $65 call to the ASPCA animal poison control line. The good news is that he's okay and my (replanted) onions are, too. But, OY!! I immediately went out and had to cobble together a dog guard around the box with the onions!
manda99
manda99

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/1/2012, 2:37 pm

Welcome Manda! Nice to see another Illinoisian here... I'm from that part of Illinois south of I-80. Smile I had to laugh about your story, since I know your doodle is ok. Smile

I have six dogs, two of which are MM eaters. I finally took a corner of the yard similar to the OP's, and just fenced it off as was suggested. We had some materials we took out of another part of the yard. We used 4 foot tall picket fence panels and since we weren't sure of what we wanted the permanent size to be, we actually just zip tied them to t-posts (u-posts) temporarily so I can see what I think for size this year without having to put the 4x4 posts in the ground. Smile We don't get bad winds here and the actual yard fence is a 6 foot privacy fence so the area is fairly well sheltered.

My husband put a gate on it and it's been heaven having an area that dogs aren't digging in... Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 5/1/2012, 3:02 pm

manda99 wrote:Not any help, but just sharing that my lovely goldendoodle was unknowingly following behind me as I planted onion starters a couple weekends ago... nibbling them out of the ground as I planted... Like a little doodle buffet.

Of course, being a new dog owner, I didn't realize onions are toxic to dogs. So after googling, I ended up with a $65 call to the ASPCA animal poison control line. The good news is that he's okay and my (replanted) onions are, too. But, OY!! I immediately went out and had to cobble together a dog guard around the box with the onions!

Manda, so sorry about your onions, this made me chuckle though. Next time save the $65 charge the poison control line makes and first try to call your local Humane society or any local vet hospital. They should be able to give you the advice for free,.
My bad dog ate ten months supply of heartworm tablets 4 weeks ago. I called poison control and declined to pay that charge. Humane society laughed when i told them what Patch had done but both they and the local animal hospital gave me a free and fast answer to the dilema.

kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum