Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New In Delaware Toplef10New In Delaware 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New In Delaware I22gcj10New In Delaware 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New In Delaware Toplef10New In Delaware 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New In Delaware I22gcj10New In Delaware 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New In Delaware

+2
sfg4uKim
kristinz
6 posters

Go down

New In Delaware Empty New In Delaware

Post  kristinz 4/28/2012, 8:07 am

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to SQF - I remember my dad talking about this when I was a kid - and last fall decided to get the latest book...unfortunately I just started to read this about 2 weeks ago and feel we are already behind. Last year we did our first garden - an 8x8 crowded mess. Not quite row gardening, but more like 'sections'. We did ok, got a few peppers, tons of cherry tomatoes and a few beefsteaks - when the squirrels didn't get to them first. Oh, and a ton of tobasco peppers - which the squirrels refused to eat. This year, we are going to try our first SFG. Due to other projects in the yard, we haven't decided where to put the garden. We are waiting on a new shed to be delivered and I am afraid it will shadow over our current location. Also, I've been trying to find all the supplies for the MM and get the best deals. I am hoping we are able to get something planted for the summer crop, then have a good fall crop to plant. I also want it to look pretty - like most girls do. I've enjoyed looking at all the pictures posted of gardens and seeing how creative people are with using materials and space. Please keep posting pictures - they inspire us all! I will post as soon as we get something started.
We are going to build our boxes next weekend, and after the shed comes on 5/7, we will determine where to put them. If anyone is from this area and knows places to get ingredients for MM, please let me know, us newbies can use all the help we can get!
I've already learned lots from this forum in the couple of days I've been on here, and I know there is a lot more information I will be able to get as I go further!
Happy Gardening everyone!
kristinz
kristinz

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

New In Delaware Empty Re: New In Delaware

Post  sfg4uKim 4/28/2012, 9:08 am

New In Delaware 61949Kristin and welcome to the Forum.

You have the VERY BEST blended compost about 1 hour from you in Aberdeen, MD. VETERAN COMPOST

I didn't see any vermiculite sources in Delaware, but you can look in neighboring states on the VERMICULITE DATABASE. You can also contact JP AUSTIN to see if they have a distributor in your area. They are located in Western PA, but ship it all over the area.

Peat will be simple to find.

If you go to the Forum Home page and scroll down, you'll see that we also have Regional Forums, so join us there to get info about our area.

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

New In Delaware WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kristinz 4/28/2012, 10:04 am

Thank you so much for this information! We will definitely be giving them a call and get our compost from there! Just to make sure I understand - the compost already has at least 5 different types so I don't need to worry about finding different types to make my compost mix?
kristinz
kristinz

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/28/2012, 10:37 am

Mel says that the best compost is that which you make yourself from your kitchen scraps & (non-chemical) yard waste. This is EXACTLY what you get with Veteran Compost. I know that Justen has the compost tested OFTEN. Make sure to pick up extra as you will need to add a large trowelful of compost to each square after you harvest it.

There are almost always worms in the compost that I get from him. Speaking of worms, he also had great worm castings (vermicompost). If you'd like to give your plants an extra boost, you can use the extra compost (or vermicompost) to make compost tea.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

New In Delaware WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  kristinz 4/29/2012, 8:48 am

Thank you so much for this information! It definitely gives us a great starting point! We are so excited to start our garden and will be sure to post pictures of the progress!
kristinz
kristinz

Back to top Go down

Post  clho 5/7/2012, 9:58 pm

Hi Kritinz,

I'm pretty close to you near Elsmere. I'm just getting started with SFG, too. I found a bunch of different compost products at Delaware Seed, a little local gardening store on Kirkwood Highway in the same shopping center as Panera. They have peat and small bags of vermiculite, too. In fact, that's where I learned about SFG and bought the book. I'm going to start with a square of strawberries.
clho
clho

Back to top Go down

Post  clho 5/9/2012, 11:16 pm

Thanks for the tip on Veteran Compost. I picked up some there today. Justen was very helpful!
clho
clho

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/10/2012, 7:07 am

clho wrote:Thanks for the tip on Veteran Compost. I picked up some there today. Justen was very helpful!

I'm SO glad. Enjoy!

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 5/10/2012, 2:26 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:
clho wrote:Thanks for the tip on Veteran Compost. I picked up some there today. Justen was very helpful!

I'm SO glad. Enjoy!

What would be the latest you can plant strawberries?
Renee thinking
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

New In Delaware Empty latest plant date for strawberries

Post  tomperrin 5/10/2012, 7:51 pm

They are a perennial, and the nurseries still have them in stock. I would plant them anytime, bearing in mind that they probably won't do really well until next year anyway.

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/10/2012, 9:23 pm

tomperrin wrote:They are a perennial, and the nurseries still have them in stock. I would plant them anytime, bearing in mind that they probably won't do really well until next year anyway.

Tom

+1
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: