Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ticks Toplef10Ticks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ticks I22gcj10Ticks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ticks Toplef10Ticks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ticks I22gcj10Ticks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ticks

+21
plantoid
GWN
ETNRedClay
newtgirl
jazzycat
NHGardener
llama momma
quiltbea
mollyhespra
R&R 1011
donnainzone5
elysia
walshevak
ericam
elliephant
Grandpop
KDeus
givvmistamps
littlejo
RoOsTeR
camprn
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ticks Empty Ticks

Post  camprn 4/25/2012, 8:00 pm

Well its shaping up to be a bumper crop of ticks this year and many of us will be exposed to them so I thought I would post this thread for info on ticks and get out some information so we all can stay well. I will start with this article.
http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/2012/04/24/tick-bites/

This one is more of a scientific bent and for some folks may be TMI (too much info). Nonetheless, it has some important information.
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/needham/tickgone.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Ticks WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Ticks Empty Re: Ticks

Post  RoOsTeR 4/25/2012, 8:07 pm

Do you have ticks pretty bad there camp?
We don't really have a tick problem where I live, yet if you drive several miles up to the foothills they're all over Rolling Eyes

What about skeeters? Aren't they the size of birds there in NH Razz

Ticks Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/25/2012, 8:15 pm

It was on the national news a few days ago that this year will be bad for ticks and skeeters, because of the 'light' winter.

The skeeters are the size of small dogs down here.Ticks 889526 Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/25/2012, 8:24 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Do you have ticks pretty bad there camp?
We don't really have a tick problem where I live, yet if you drive several miles up to the foothills they're all over Rolling Eyes

What about skeeters? Aren't they the size of birds there in NH Razz
Oh Rooster I think you are thinking of Minnesota Skeeters. Here in northern New England we have black flies the size of parakeets.
Shocked Ticks 671790 Ticks 136416910

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Ticks WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/25/2012, 10:56 pm

Thanks for posting those, Camp! It's important to practice prevention with ticks wherever possible. Unfortunately, like mosquitoes, ticks will be more prevalent this year due to a mild winter in many regions. (Winter was nonexistent here!)

A lot of reliable information about the diseases different tick species can transmit and what their regions are is available on the CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/ This site also has photographs of the different species so you can recognize them, so if they make you queasy, beware of that link from the main tick page.

We haven't "caught" any ticks here in FL so far (that we know of!)...but we haven't been out in the unoccupied woodlands since moving here, either. I remember hearing from the family "old timers" when I was a kid that ticks have certain trees they like to climb, then drop out of the trees onto their prey (I've never found reliable sources that claim that it's only certain tree species). However, my recent reading says you can pick them up from tall grasses as well as walking under trees.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  KDeus 4/26/2012, 9:36 am

So far, we haven't had ticks that we have seen in the yard. We did have a few when we went camping and I got bitten twice (watched very closely). The only time we've had a problem with ticks at the house was when I brought in two large bales of hay for a project. They were a magnet for them. As soon as we took the bales away, they went away, too. Now, the skeeters on the other hand have been another story - they're everywhere and earlier this year than in other years since we only had just a few days of frost this year.
KDeus
KDeus

Female Posts : 71

http://www.mikkeanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpop 4/26/2012, 9:39 am

givvmistamps wrote:
We haven't "caught" any ticks here in FL so far (that we know of!)...but we haven't been out in the unoccupied woodlands since moving here, either. I remember hearing from the family "old timers" when I was a kid that ticks have certain trees they like to climb, then drop out of the trees onto their prey (I've never found reliable sources that claim that it's only certain tree species). However, my recent reading says you can pick them up from tall grasses as well as walking under trees.

I live in West Tennessee and will be more than happy to share as many ticks as you wish. Very Happy It may take a couple of walks around the yard but I think I can get you a large number. Here, they fall out of trees, bushes and grass. To make things worse we have to walk our "son" a couple of times a day and he always picks up some. It's not unusual for the wife and I to be watching television and one of us asks "is this a tick on me."

Seriously, ticks can be bad news if one bites and gets embedded.Be careful. affraid
Grandpop
Grandpop

Male Posts : 79
Location : Newbern, TN, 7A, Extreme West Tn. - 15 Miles from Miss. River.

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/26/2012, 12:56 pm

Grandpop wrote:
I live in West Tennessee and will be more than happy to share as many ticks as you wish. Very Happy It may take a couple of walks around the yard but I think I can get you a large number. Here, they fall out of trees, bushes and grass. To make things worse we have to walk our "son" a couple of times a day and he always picks up some. It's not unusual for the wife and I to be watching television and one of us asks "is this a tick on me."

Seriously, ticks can be bad news if one bites and gets embedded.Be careful. affraid
Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass! I have enough health problems without getting one of those nasty diseases they transmit.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 4/26/2012, 4:09 pm

We are battling ticks like crazy in our yard Sad I try to check the dog at least once a day and there are almost always a few on him. And far too often I find them on me and the kids. Fortunately none of the humans have been bitten yet, but I'm really beginning to get frustrated with the situation. We've been treating the yard and were using Frontline Plus on the dog, this last month switched Advantix, but the same old story of it only lasting about 10 days before finding them again.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 4/26/2012, 8:05 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:What about skeeters? Aren't they the size of birds there in NH Razz

What are skeeters? I haven't heard that term before...
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/26/2012, 8:07 pm

mosquitos.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 4/26/2012, 8:14 pm

Thanks Kay, that thought did occur to me after I posted. Very Happy

We call them mozzies here and they were really bad this year as we had a very wet summer. Not good when your child has an allergy to them and swells up like a balloon every time he gets bitten! Poor kid spent half the summer on antihistamines.

No ticks at my place but I do have to check the kids when we've been at my sister's place as they get lots of them.
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/26/2012, 10:07 pm

Don't you just love the differences in the English language. It is so varied even within a country. I spent 3 years in England and was facinated.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 4/27/2012, 10:46 am

Ticks are in full swing out here. 8/ So are the crickets as a matter of fact! It's way too early for either (well it's always too early for the ticks in my book!) Evil or Very Mad
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/27/2012, 1:36 pm

I agree Elysia! When I had to do a leaf-litter study in college, the ticks and mites we caught in the leaf litter had me carefully breathing in & out so I wouldn't embarrass myself (I was the only woman in the class) by running for the ladies room. We had to examine them under a microscope, and that just wasn't my idea of fun...too close for comfort, even if we did have them dead in a petri dish full off goo.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/27/2012, 1:51 pm

By my late brother and I, large "skeeters" were referred to as "B-52s."
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/26/2013, 9:35 pm

I wanted to bump this as a reminder to protect yourselves. I've pulled 2 ticks off me in the past 3 days. I was only outside for 15 min. today. Im so grossed out Im taking a break from outside for a few days. We did have a pretty mild winter again, so they might be in full force this year.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 4/26/2013, 10:50 pm

Oooh! You read my mind, R&R. I thought about posting about ticks earlier this week but you beat me to the punch!

I now know 3 people (and a 4th being tested for it) with confirmed Lyme Disease from tick bites. Lyme is an EVIL disease, and I don't use that word lightly.

If anyone hasn't seen the documentary "Under our Skin" (website: http://www.underourskin.com/) and you live anywhere where there are ticks around, please check it out.

You'll probably (like me) be skeeved out and paranoid for the rest of your life about ticks, but better skeeved than sick, IMHO.

Evil or Very Mad ticks...
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/27/2013, 12:38 am

Im not a fan of bugs as it is let alone nasty bugs that dig into your skin. Im a little freaked out and will definitely be watching for signs of any illness. One was found on my scalp and the other on my shoulder after just coming out of the bath.

Im watching the documentary you linked on Netflix right now. Good info. on Lyme disease, but they arent touching on ticks much so far. I grew up around woods and dont remember ever having problems with ticks.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/27/2013, 1:01 am

We had a long, cold, white winter, and still the other day I came inside, sat down in front of the puter to upload some pics and a tic fell on the desk in front of me. Ugh. So they are around whether you have snow or don't.
Last year I've even found a couple on me after spraying myself before going out, with DeepWoods Off flea and tick spray. They seemed to be drugged so maybe the spray helps even when they jump on for the ride.
Just be sure to check yourself all over when you come inside. They even stayed on my skin during a shower before.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/27/2013, 5:13 am

givvmistamps wrote:I agree Elysia! When I had to do a leaf-litter study in college,
Are you saying ticks are attracted to leaf litter? I shudder to think of my two prized leaf corrals out back. No
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/27/2013, 2:08 pm

llama momma wrote:
givvmistamps wrote:I agree Elysia! When I had to do a leaf-litter study in college,
Are you saying ticks are attracted to leaf litter? I shudder to think of my two prized leaf corrals out back. No
Yep! Think anywhere dark and moist. They love leaf piles, compost piles, wood chips, long grass, bushes, trees, anywhere shady, etc.

Ive been researching how to get them out of your yard & keep them off of you. There are a ton of websites with great info.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 4/27/2013, 2:58 pm

3 ticks crawling on me in the past couple weeks. I'm pretty sure the chickens do a number on the ticks, but we still have plenty. About 5 yrs. back my husband came down with Lyme Disease so I got guineas, but the neighbor hated those things (they roam a lot), so now it's chickens.

There are also tick tubes you can put around your yard (ticktubes.com).

NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/27/2013, 3:25 pm

Try this. It is for mosquitoes, but it also works on ticks and various other insects. Completely nontoxic, as it's pure garlic juice. Garlic is deadly to ticks. You could plant garlic all around your yard as well.

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com

We don't really have a problem here, but when I go to NC, they are everywhere. I found 4 crawling on me once within the space of a few minutes. (For some reason, they are attracted to me.) I must've disturbed a bed of them or something. It is way out in the wilderness though, pretty much. soooo...
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  newtgirl 6/26/2013, 6:55 pm

Here's a fun little bump: went for a hike yesterday, and between hubs, dog and I, we had about 75 ticks. And that's after a healthy dose of neem over all of us. I just keep telling myself "You love the prairie!"
newtgirl
newtgirl

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next