Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Look who I found living in my yard! Toplef10Look who I found living in my yard! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Look who I found living in my yard! I22gcj10Look who I found living in my yard! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Look who I found living in my yard! Toplef10Look who I found living in my yard! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Look who I found living in my yard! I22gcj10Look who I found living in my yard! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Look who I found living in my yard!

3 posters

Go down

Look who I found living in my yard! Empty Look who I found living in my yard!

Post  givvmistamps 4/20/2012, 5:49 pm

A few days ago, we found a Green Tree Frog who had decided the back of our house was a nice place to hang out...he's now my avatar, but I'll share him here so you can see a larger version:

2012TreeFrog
Today we made two new critter discoveries, and we think we'll be happy co-habitating with these new friends...These first three photos are of a pair of what we think might be some type of forest salamanders. They're quite pretty, and I'm relatively certain they'll be good neighbors to have.

Salamander1

Salamander2

Salamander3
Then, when we were standing near the place that will soon become a raised flower bed discussing options, we spied something suspicious through a hole in the weed cloth we had laid down hoping to kill the weeds in that zone. (Must be really cheap weed cloth; it tore within days of laying it down. Evil or Very Mad You can see just how well that plan worked on crab grass!) Anyway, we moved the cloth away to see what exactly we'd found...

SnakeSkin1

So, we wanted to find out just how long this snake was when he decided the weed cloth made a great hiding place to molt. I moved it to the path so we could see it better, cleaned it off a bit, and stretched it out gently. My husband put out a tape measure to compare; it's around 4' long. (BTW, I live with three guys in this house, ages 40, 10, and 5, and I (a woman) was the only person willing to touch it! Look who I found living in my yard! 889526 ):

SnakeSkin2

That skin probably came from a snake we found in our yard when we bought this house two years ago. We found it up in a very tall bush on the side of the house the first week we lived here, but we think it's since moved to a new home. I call it a Black Snake and my husband calls a King Snake. They're well known for eating other snakes we don't want around, like copperheads, and they also like mice and rats. Definitely nice to see he's still around!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Look who I found living in my yard! Empty Re: Look who I found living in my yard!

Post  H_TX_2 4/20/2012, 6:02 pm

The fat neck, stubby skinny legs and red throat makes me think the second set of photos are of a skink. We have those around here in Houston and I wouldn't be surprised if you had them in Florida also.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Look who I found living in my yard! Empty Re: Look who I found living in my yard!

Post  givvmistamps 4/20/2012, 7:19 pm

Thanks for the hint H_TX_2! I got a chance to look the lizard-like guys up, and it turns out they're a Broad-headed Skink. Very Happy They like bugs, so we like these skinks. Not sure I would've been able to identify these if they hadn't been males showing their orange colors during the mating season. I just hope our black snake doesn't eat them and the frog.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/20/2012, 10:25 pm

They would get so teased at my house lol..I have two ball pythons, one is 4' long and is a spoiled baby. The other is 5' long and I will only handle her the week after she has been fed...she is a little grumpy lol..
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/21/2012, 12:41 pm

CindiLou wrote:They would get so teased at my house lol..I have two ball pythons, one is 4' long and is a spoiled baby. The other is 5' long and I will only handle her the week after she has been fed...she is a little grumpy lol..

The skin is now hanging on a nail in our screened porch. Very Happy I did manage to talk my sons into touching the skin eventually. Once my younger son was convinced it was no longer holding a live snake he was fine with it. My older son gets creeped out by bugs and other things, especially spiders, so I wasn't overly surprised at his reticence. I don't know why my husband wouldn't touch it...
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down