Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Garden (and plan), pls look/help Toplef10First Garden (and plan), pls look/help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Garden (and plan), pls look/help I22gcj10First Garden (and plan), pls look/help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Garden (and plan), pls look/help Toplef10First Garden (and plan), pls look/help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Garden (and plan), pls look/help I22gcj10First Garden (and plan), pls look/help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First Garden (and plan), pls look/help

+2
Nicola
jbaumer2345
6 posters

Go down

First Garden (and plan), pls look/help Empty First Garden (and plan), pls look/help

Post  jbaumer2345 4/19/2012, 6:16 pm

Hi there! I'm new to gardening and have already built our boxes and am putting together our plan now. Could you please take a look and give me any critique, advice or help Very Happy

Oh and we're a family of five (if that helps).

Thanks so much!!

First Garden (and plan), pls look/help 352qexk
jbaumer2345
jbaumer2345

Back to top Go down

First Garden (and plan), pls look/help Empty Re: First Garden (and plan), pls look/help

Post  Nicola 4/20/2012, 2:15 am

First I was going to suggest that you switch the tomatoes with the peppers and garlic, because (indeterminate) tomatoes will grow tall, and need trellising. Then I realized you also have cucumbers shown, on your south side. They, too, will likely overshadow other veggies, as the tomatoes do.
Is it possible to turn your vegetable box sideways, so all of the above can form the tall, overshadowing, trellis-needing "wall" that they need? (Of course, I see 10 squares of that type, and only 8 actual squares available--maybe some of your tomatoes are the non-jungle-ish, determinate kinds?). But then there's the corn to wonder about. I hope to see others' ideas and suggestions later.
I only have 2, 4x4 boxes next to each other, so maybe I'm just overwhelmed with your plans. I've never even thought about raspberries and the like in a SFG, either. My strawberries are in a "strawberry planter" in the front yard--at least for now. Maybe a pyramid box in the future
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

First Garden (and plan), pls look/help Empty Re: First Garden (and plan), pls look/help

Post  quiltbea 4/20/2012, 8:25 am

Welcome to the forum.

Tall vining plants, like tomatoes, cucumbers and sugar peas and pole beans should be in the north rows, whether they are trellised or staked, so they don't shade out the other plants. In Zone 4 you are going to need all the sunshine you can get. Unless you are going to allow your cucumbers to lay on the ground and trail off the bed, they need to be moved.

That goes for your sunflowers as well. Don't place them where they will shade other plants.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/20/2012, 11:09 am

It depends on where you are if it matters because the summer sun is so high in the sky all growing season. I do this with no problems, the only shade in my garden is on the west in the morning and the east on the afternoon.
I would suggest grouping the pole beans together. Maybe use a tipi to trellis them in a 4 square block? You need to be able to reach into the center of the bed to harvest bush beans and greens. The cherry tomato plants might get in the way of that, especially if there are bean trellis on the other side. Garlic can be put in the center because it does not need much fussing with. So maybe switch it to where the spinach is, put the spinach where the cherry tomatoes are and the tomatoes together on the end.

My only other consideration would be that it is nice to put cherry tomatoes and peas near major pathways so the family snacks on them as they go by. I figure any vegtable that gets in a kid is good and if I do not have to prep/cook that much better Very Happy
First Garden (and plan), pls look/help 396615
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  jbaumer2345 4/20/2012, 1:40 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Made a couple changes to the plan, but have a few questions:

Can the carrots stay with the corn and potatoes or should I move it to the other veggie box?

I wasn't sure how many tomato plants to plant for our family. I'd like to make salsa and possibly pasta sauce. Also our three kids all love tomatoes. How do I know how many each plant will yield? (in terms of quantity, not weight) Do you think I have the right amount or too many?

Are the cucs and peppers okay next to each other? Would appreciate any input on how the plan looks now or suggestions.

Thanks!

First Garden (and plan), pls look/help Screenshot2012-04-20at123401PM

jbaumer2345
jbaumer2345

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga 4/20/2012, 2:30 pm

I have a thought about the fruit SFG. The raspberries and blackberries will usually become a big bush overtime which might make it difficult to get into the middle strawberry plants to pick the fruits eventually. I don't have any real experience with these in a SFG, just past experience with berry bushes.
laufenberga
laufenberga

Male Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 4/20/2012, 3:46 pm

My thoughts: skip the perennials in the bed and put them in the ground. Yes, they will grow(and they may even grow better), but they do just fine in a regular bed. If you're heart is set on growing the canes and strawberries in an SFG environment, then I'd probably space the strawberries out a little further to allow them to send out runners for new plants. This is assuming that strawberries are perennials in your area. I'd check the amount per square also, 4 seems a lot.

The cucumbers will vine out a lot. I personally prefer them on a trellis. You probably won't have a good harvest with 8 tomato plants so close together either. I like to give mine space, and that usually means leaving the squares surrounding it empty.

Save yourself some money and go 6" deep only. I grow my potatoes in 6" of MM and they just mound up naturally(it's quite fun to watch actually, and at least I know that the tubers are forming).

If that were my garden, that slim bed would be on the opposite side(the north side) of the 2 regular beds and would hold my tomatoes and cucumbers.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/21/2012, 12:51 am

I would move the carrots to your empty spots in the main bed. Then maybe fill in with more corn or a summer squash. Yes the tomatoes are a lot for the space, they will need pruning to stay in that space but it is well doable, which is why it is what Mel recommends.

I think the garden planner used here is the Territorial seed garden planner in SFG mode. Those are the amounts per square programed in to it.

cheers
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum