Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Toplef10Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 I22gcj10Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Toplef10Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 I22gcj10Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG

+32
rabbithutch
plantoid
brainchasm
Jahluka
TxGramma
sanderson
Marc Iverson
LittleGardener
Lindacol
Turan
Turnip
R&R 1011
llama momma
johnsonjlj
cheyannarach
quiltbea
mollyhespra
CapeCoddess
Goosegirl
Nonna.PapaVino
JustMe
GWN
Unmutual
1airdoc
elysia
doneal
CharlesB
trukrebew
kittykat
marc-in-pa
JennAndCompany
jmsieglaff
36 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Empty Re: Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG

Post  jmsieglaff 5/18/2013, 10:20 pm

I enjoy sharing pictures of my SFG because I know how much I enjoy posts with pictures. Hopefully it gives someone an idea or someone sees something and throws some advice my way. Anyway as of May 17 everything has been planted.

Northeast bed: Tomatoes (black krim, solar flare, sungold and sweet million), cucumber seeds along the trellis, marigolds, some various herbs in the construction block holes.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 May17_10

Southeast bed: Way behind compared to last year at this time....spinach along the periphery squares, radishes in the center squares and super sugar snap peas along the trellis, and some stuff in the construction block holes.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 May17_11

Southwest bed: Lettuce--some from seed and some raised as seedlings, beets just coming up and planted three 'hills' of vining summer squash along the trellis (lemon, table dainty, and tatume).
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 May17_12

Northwest bed: Lemon, table dainty, and tatume seeds along the trellis, Atlantis broccoli, 1 square softneck garlic, 1 square Chensok red (the big ones), Copra onions, 1 lone Siberian garlic that survived the winter and trying an Okra plant.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 May17_13

Deck bed: This is a 12'x2' bed. Far are two tomatillos, then 8 Yummy Mix peppers, then 8 leeks, finally 2 King of the North Bell Pepper, 1 Wisconsin Lakes Bell Pepper and 2 Serrano pepper.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 May17_14

Our son's garden: 1/2 whiskey barrel--Blue lake bush beans and calliope blend of carrots. I told him he could anything besides tomatoes because we have enough of those--him and I demolish two Sungold plants worth (mom doesn't like raw tomatoes).
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 May17_15

Other random things--we're doing another Sungold tomato in a 5 gallon bucket on the deck--did great there last year and easy for a 3 year old to pick. Also trying red burgundy amaranth in the cinder block holes by cucumbers (I've read cucumber beetles will eat that over the cucumbers). And also trying one plant of New Zealand spinach in a cinder block hole that I'll let grow on the trellis with the squash. If we like it we'll grow more next year.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Empty Re: Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG

Post  LittleGardener 5/19/2013, 2:44 am

I saw your ingenious Wink & productive garden pictures last year, (whilst still recovering from abdominal surgery). And thought I too will do this. What an inspiration you are to many. Thank you! for continually sharing Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Empty June 14 pictures

Post  jmsieglaff 6/14/2013, 6:30 pm

What a difference a month makes!  The garden is coming along! 

Deck bed:  Peppers are doing very well, leeks are starting to get big and the tomatillos grow like the weeds they are.

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1410

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1411

NE bed:  Tomatoes are doing well and cucumbers getting ready grow up the trellis!  Some red burgundy amaranth that I'll be thinning to one per cinder block cell as an experiment.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1412

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1413

SE bed:  Wall of peas with the harvest about to start--end of the spinach and radishes will be replaced with sweet corn seed.

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1414

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1415

SW bed:  Vining summer squash and lettuce and beets are varying stages of maturity.  Big salads this weekend!
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1416

NW bed:  Broccolini, swiss chard, onions, garlic and vining summer squash--garlic scapes will be ready very soon!

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1418

Deck plantings of Sungold tomato and carrots and beans in the whiskey barrel.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1420

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 June1419
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 6/15/2013, 11:35 am

Sowed what will be 24 plants (2 per square) of Native Gem SE Hybrid sweet corn this morning where the radish/spinach finished.  Anyone ever grow this variety?  I choose it because I was looking for a SE hybrid and a shorter growth (66 days) because I'm planting in mid June.  Originally was going to go for Peaches and Cream SE hybrid, but being 83 days I was afraid it may not finish if the summer was cool.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Empty July Update

Post  jmsieglaff 7/13/2013, 8:17 pm

Some things are doing great this year, others not the best--just depends on the weather I suppose.

Chesnok Red garlic harvest!  I'm quite happy with this, we'll see how the flavor is.  Since the Siberian didn't overwinter (aside from one plant) so I planted some softneck which I'll harvest in a week or so.

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 July1310

On to the other beds.....

Northeast bed:  Cukes are behind last year, but doing well.  The tomatoes having been doing great, so far gotten a few Sungolds.  First sweet million looks about 5 days out--still waiting on Solar Flare and Black Krim.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 July1311

Southeast:  Native Gem Sweet Corn doing well (planted June 15) and newly planted squash where the peas were (it was a great year for peas here in southern WI).  The spinach and radishes that were here before, the radishes did well this year, but the spinach season was subpar--took for ever to warm up and get the plants growing and then the day length sent the plants to seed.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 July1312

Southwest:  Squash are growing well and flowering well, but the bees are not doing their job.  I'll probably do some manual pollinating in the mornings soon.  Much of the empty space has very small lettuce seedlings coming up, this spring/early summer have been a great year for lettuce--no matter how to I try to succession plant, the day length and summer heat tends to make lettuce come in bunches.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 July1313

Northwest:  Broccoli did well here, Chesnok reds come out today, onions grew well but did not get very big, I think they were a little soggy there.  The onions in the holes of the cinder blocks have been doing better.  Squash along the trellis.  Have bean seeds (3 squares) and 1 square of radishes along the south end.  The softneck garlic will come out in the next week or so, so I've got 4 more squares I'll probably plant spinach seeds in early August.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 July1314

Deck bed:  They're not ripe yet, but so far this looks like the best pepper year in a while.  The leeks are doing real well and the tomatillos are growing like the weeds they are, with husks starting to fill out.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 July1315
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 July1316

Anyone else having similar good years with certain stuff and worse years for other crops?
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/17/2013, 12:09 am

You've got your succession planting going along on a nice clip. It's my first year, and in a neighbor's non-SFG garden, so I have to research more on how to do that.

I am growing a couple of tomatillo plants. Yours are a bit taller, but mine are nice and wide at the top too, with plenty of flowers. Got dozens and dozens of flowers on some cherry tomatoes too, but they tend to spring up and drop off, or just hang there doing nothing for a very long time. Hope I don't lose the latest flush of them.

My neighbor plants in concrete blocks like yours. He does the best of anyone around. Tells me that the concrete holds heat nicely and lets him prolong his season, too, his tomatoes ripening right up until the first snow.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Empty Peak of harvest!

Post  jmsieglaff 8/15/2013, 1:43 pm

Today's harvest, I'd say we're at our peak.  The mid June planted sweet corn seems to be doing well--hoping to be ready right around Sept. 1.  Cleared out one square of squash because of powdery mildew and put in a bunch spinach, lettuce, and radish seeds for a fall crop.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Aug15_10
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/15/2013, 2:22 pm

Very nice bounty!  okay   Are those tomatillas?  Are you going to make Chile Verde sauce?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 8/15/2013, 3:54 pm

Yes they are tomatillos.  We make roasted tomatillo salsa and freeze it (easier and we like the taste better than canning it).  Got about 2.5# in the fridge so it's time to whip up a batch before we start picking them by the pound.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 9/29/2013, 9:34 am

With the season winding down here in southern Wisconsin just wanted to share a few thoughts about the 2013 garden.

It was the best year I've had for sweet peppers in, well maybe ever. Not sure if it was the weather or the varieties, but I'll definitely be growing Yummy and King of the North peppers again next year. The serranos went and are still going crazy as they always do.

The Native Gem corn was good, but think I'm done with corn--just not enough yield for the space, especially with good corn stands around here.

The fall crop of lettuce and spinach was non-existant. The very warm weather from mid August - mid September is probably the main reason, that and the stupid neighbor's cat that jumps into the garden and tramples the seedlings. The fall radishes did very well however, as did some bush beans.

Table dainty, Tatume, and Lemon summer squash were winners and will return in 2014.

Sweet Million cherry tomatoes were good, but we all liked Sungold the best, so back to all Sungold next year. While the black krim and solar flare tomatoes were good, will grow one Celebrity again next year purely for volume (along with a black krim).

Leeks are huge and looking forward to using them in some fall soups. Probably will do a few of those again next year.

Chesnok red garlic is great--adding another square of that next year.

Tomatillos are weeds--they grow like mad and self-seed like mad.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 9/29/2013, 12:56 pm

Great update! Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on your garden...lots of good info. Just love gardening and all it teaches us.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Empty 2014 Garden

Post  jmsieglaff 2/8/2014, 11:13 pm

So this year I'll be making two changes to my cattle panel and cinder block garden.

The first change is the garden.  I had 4 4'x4' beds, 1 12'x2' bed and 1 18'x3' asparagus bed.  I'm connecting two sets of 4'x4' boxes along the east-west dimension, so instead of 4 4x4 beds, I'll have 2 4x11 beds--basically room that was occupied by a path and some cinder block will now be useful garden space--an extra 27 sq ft.  I will not be putting cattle panels along these new 3' sections for better access to the beds.

The second is a grow light, which has the 2014 garden started.

My setup here--4' grow light.  I made some cardboard 'walls' lined with foil to reflect light back at the plants (idea from New Seed Starters Handbook).  And yes it's empty now--but nothing else will be sowed until March 5-10 (lettuce, parsley, broccoli).

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Onions10

And my first year starting onions, these pictures are almost a week old.  Most have now pulled out of the ground and are 2-3" tall.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Onions11
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Empty vertical supports

Post  Jahluka 3/6/2014, 6:33 pm

jmsieglaff wrote:Hello,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to post a few pictures.

We bought a house a couple years ago that had an 8'x8' timber lined garden.  The soil was pretty good, a bit too much clay if I dug deep enough.  Last winter I stumbled on the SFG method, so I basically gave it a try within part of that garden last summer.  I thought it was a success so I decided to go all-in and redo my garden last fall and finish it this spring.

I made 4 4'x4' plots with 8"x8"x16" split faced construction block with 2 foot paths.  To the existing soil which was pretty good I added some compost and peat moss.  I filled all the holes of the blocks with compost and soil.  You can see rabbit guard fence around each bed.  For vertical supports I used 1/2" electric conduit, elbow connectors, and cattle panels.  I cut the cattle panels to size (the panels are 52" wide, so I cut them to 5' height).  I wove the conduit through the cattle panel and connected the conduit with the elbows.  The frames are placed over 3' rebar that is pounded into the ground.  You'll also see an extra bed off the deck that is 12'x2' (but no vertical support on that bed).  Below are pictures!

So what am I growing?
lettuce (leaf and bibb), radishes, radicchio, onions, garlic, spinach, swiss chard, peas, tomatoes, tomatillos, bell peppers, serrano peppers, broccoli, winter squash, vining summer squash.  In the holes of the blocks will go marigolds and nasturtiums and a few herbs.  What's missing?  Green beans.........the Japanese beetles just make me too angry!

I hope the pictures can help give someone an idea or at least some viewing enjoyment.

Justin

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Tulips10

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Tulips11

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Tulips12
That was my next project..to building some kind of a trellis..!That is a great idea. Thanks buddy!
Jahluka
Jahluka

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/6/2014, 9:10 pm

Jahluka, Do you have a copy of All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 3/6/2014, 10:24 pm

No problem!  And they've gone through 2 Wisconsin summers and 2 winters and look as good as the day I put them in.  Now only if I can get some help melting the 2+ feet of snow on my garden.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 3/7/2014, 1:42 pm

jmsieglaff wrote:No problem!  And they've gone through 2 Wisconsin summers and 2 winters and look as good as the day I put them in.  Now only if I can get some help melting the 2+ feet of snow on my garden.
Good stuff!  My gardens in Las Vegas are concrete block 4x4s as well.

Interestingly, I'm from Southern WI too!  (Kenosha, for those that are interested)

Maybe us Wisconsinites just have a thing for 8x8x16 concrete block?  Laughing

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/7/2014, 6:28 pm

sanderson wrote:Jahluka,  Do you have a copy of All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew?

If not and you want one check our my strap lines ...... the details for it are in there.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 3/7/2014, 8:24 pm

That block garden is a gem!

I've used block and landscapers bedding soil in past years and had great success.  I'm going into SFG for the first time this year.  I will have 4 table top beds (2x7, 2x10, 4x4, 4x4 and one 4x5 in the ground for asparagus, all with Mel's Mix.  

I had been wondering what to do about trellising.  Those cattle panels are my answer.

Thank you for sharing your gardens and results with us.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/7/2014, 11:24 pm

Cattle panels and tabletops

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 Dscn0711

I didn't have a vine plant in one bed, just onions, so I put some buckets of tomatoes inside the arch and trained them up.  Watermelon and cantaloupe climbing the panel.

FYI it is on the west and east side of the beds because that's how it worked out.  I have some cantelevered trellises on the north of some beds.
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/8/2014, 2:41 am

Kay, I just love that set up.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 3/23/2014, 8:53 am

jmsieglaff - what type of tool do you use to cut the rabbit guard? Did you use one big piece and roll it around your gardens? If so, is it easy to bend open and closed for access?

The green vinyl fencing surround our SFGs have low holes in them and will need to be replaced. We also need the fencing to keep out the deer.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 3/23/2014, 11:08 am

JustMe wrote:jmsieglaff - what type of tool do you use to cut the rabbit guard?  Did you use one big piece and roll it around your gardens?  If so, is it easy to bend open and closed for access?  

The green vinyl fencing surround our SFGs have low holes in them and will need to be replaced.  We also need the fencing to keep out the deer.

I'm not jmseiglaff, but I would suggest that you use bolt cutters on the cattle guard - the larger the better.  You could use a hacksaw or portable saw (circular or jigsaw) with a steel cutting blade, but large bolt cutters are faster and don't require electrickery.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 3/23/2014, 11:28 am

The rabbit guard I use is fairly easily cut with a pair of snips.  It bends/folds easily to any desired shape.  When I snipped to size, I then removed the extra ~2" pieces of metal right up to the vertical piece of wire.  The rabbit guard is nice because of the finer wire mesh at the bottom, rabbits got through the fencing I first used and chewed through plastic snow fence.  I leave mine in place year round and just reach over them--it can be a bit of a stretch to the 4 middle squares, but I tend to put stuff in there that is harvested once or harvested easily (e.g., not cut and come again lettuces or spinach).

If you're referring to the cattle panels, I used a metal cutting blade on a recip saw.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 3/23/2014, 2:16 pm

Whoops!

Senility struck again!

I read "rabbit guard" as "cattle guard."  Sorry for the static.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 3/29/2014, 8:30 pm

I'm expanding the garden a bit this year.  I'm connecting the square beds along the east-west dimension.  Instead of 4 4'x4' beds I'll have 2 4'x11' beds.  Not a huge expansion, but 38% more space!  Room for more lettuce, garlic, onions, tomatoes, a bush zuke and a bit more broccoli.
Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 03-29-10Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 3 03-29-11
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next