Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? Toplef10Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? I22gcj10Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? Toplef10Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? I22gcj10Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed?

+2
Goosegirl
cjrweb
6 posters

Go down

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? Empty Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed?

Post  cjrweb 4/14/2012, 11:09 pm

Hi,

I did my first SFG last summer and loved having nearly zero weeds. We are hoping to put in a perennial flower border in front of the house this summer. I was thinking of just digging 6 in down, covering with weed cloth and filling with MM and planting my flowers in there. Any thoughts on this? Can perennials thrive in only 6 in of soil? Will they come back every year?

Thanks.
cjrweb

Back to top Go down

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? Empty Re: Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed?

Post  Goosegirl 4/15/2012, 7:32 am

cjrweb wrote:Hi,

I did my first SFG last summer and loved having nearly zero weeds. We are hoping to put in a perennial flower border in front of the house this summer. I was thinking of just digging 6 in down, covering with weed cloth and filling with MM and planting my flowers in there. Any thoughts on this? Can perennials thrive in only 6 in of soil? Will they come back every year?

Thanks.

Absolutely give it a try! Most perennials do not have long taproots (hollyhocks are an exception, I know), and if they do, they will just force their way through the weed cloth eventually.

Take before and after pics (and during Very Happy ) - we LOVE pics!

GG

PS - I see you are in ND. What section of the state? I am in the far NE corner of SD.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? Empty Re: Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed?

Post  camprn 4/15/2012, 9:32 am

cjrweb wrote:Hi,

Thanks.
I do this and also add a bit of wood ash, bone meal and dried blood. I do not usually add vermiculite or perlite to native soil flower beds I am amending. The perennials wil perform beautifully. Top dress with homemade compost for regular brilliance every year. when the plants get big you can lift and split them then make bore beds or trade with gardening friends for different plants. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/15/2012, 9:40 am

My perennial beds are definitely benefiting from my SFG experience. I haven't gotten to the point of making SFG beds for them, but they are getting an extremely healthy top dressing of my 5-composted-manure mix this year. I have a few beds where the soil is terrible - almost all sand - and yet the perennials survive. Can't wait to see what a little love will do for 'em!

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 274447 Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 274447 Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 274447
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 4/15/2012, 10:22 am

Last year my mom assigned me the task of converting her perennial flower garden over to SFG, the same as we do with a SFG vegetable garden, including a grid. I dug up all the flowers, made the SFG boxes and mix, then replanted them. They did really good last year, but this year my mom said the plants have never looked so good. Some things are starting to bloom now. What she likes best is no weeds!
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/15/2012, 10:27 am

Any bed will get weeds after they blow into the MelsMix after a year or so. Some perennials thrive in native soils to there may not be a need to go through the cost of Mels Mix.

Perennials may also re-seed so there may be a little maintenance in the future removing unwanted volunteers.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/15/2012, 11:00 am

The unwanted volunteers are my favourite part of perennial gardening! I love to see the same plants blooming at the same times in all the areas of my yard. I'm always moving volunteers into places that need more colour as the season goes on... Plus - I LOVE free plants! LOL... And when I have too many volunteers, it's not hard just to toss them - I know there are more coming!

Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 274447 Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 274447 Use SFG approach in perennial flower bed? 274447
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down