Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Big Stuff - Page 7 Toplef10Big Stuff - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Big Stuff - Page 7 I22gcj10Big Stuff - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Big Stuff - Page 7 Toplef10Big Stuff - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Big Stuff - Page 7 I22gcj10Big Stuff - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Big Stuff

+37
quiltbea
mollyhespra
thegreatcob
greatgranny
ericam
gwennifer
cheyannarach
CarolynPhillips
Dunkinjean
memart1
PeonyLover
Pollinator
Lindacol
Belle87ad
SwampCatNana
westie
Triciasgarden
RoOsTeR
southern gardener
walshevak
littlejo
Bluphrog
littlesapphire
donnainzone5
camprn
Kelejan
givvmistamps
Goosegirl
FamilyGardening
Daniel9999
kbb964
lisaphoto
plantoid
Lavender Debs
llama momma
GWN
Josh
41 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Big Stuff - Page 7 Empty Re: Big Stuff

Post  plantoid 7/15/2012, 6:26 pm

" R.I.C. "chubby chumpkins .. I knew your name would be your down fall "Rest In Compost " my dear friend.
Hello Sis !
" Sister Suzy soaking sun for someone ? " Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/15/2012, 6:59 pm

Oh Josh, I Am So Sorry. This "pumpkin business" is really taking us for a ride with its ups and downs. Thank goodness you have "C.C's" little sister to help fulfill your adventure. 54 pounds is still one very good sized squash! I read somewhere to position the vine from the pumpkin at 90 degrees so it doesn't interfere with growth but I can see that little Amanda is sitting at more of an acute angle than that. So now I wonder too...
Now, speaking of ups and downs I have't said much either concerning "Amanda" the last couple days. And for good reason. I couldn't decide if the oldest leaves at the base of the 2 stems should die off like old broccoli leaves, had a disease, or if I had the dreaded svb. Online videos and pictures show a pile of tannish colored frass on stems with large internal grubs. Mine did not have piles of frass but did have Five tiny, 1/8 to 1/4 inch lightly tan discolored stem areas. I would not even call it frass. All were fairly near the soil line where both stems come out of the ground. The key for me was I didn't like the increased wilting of those leaves right near it So I took a knife and performed my first squash surgery on all 5 areas on both stems this morning. And dug out maybe 8, 10, or more 1/4 inch teeny tiny white worms with black heads, heads the size of the period in this exclamation point! I didn't have a syringe to inject bt. I hastily measured out some liquid bt in water and poured it directly in all the surgical holes, buried the stems with my best compost, watered with a liquid combo of worm castings and compost. Blessed the entire mess and walked away. The entire leaves on the one vine collapsed from the experience but now its 7 hours later and all the leaves have stood back up! Thankfully it stayed very cloudy all day and avoided the sun beating on it too. There is a female flower on this vine that should open tomorrow morning but I think the stress of everything I did today it's going to open before sundown tonight. So I grabbed a few of todays wilted males and put them in the fridge, hoping they can still be used for hand pollination tonight. The other vine that Amanda is growing on, seems to be fine after I cut it up, no wilting.
OMG Josh, What the heck did we get ourselves into with these pumpkin kids of ours?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/15/2012, 7:06 pm

Josh wrote:Chubby Chumpkins has died.... he has died from stem detachment. He weighed 54 lbs. What happened was the vine rooted in the ground on both sides of the pumpkin...as Chubby grew it steatched the vine...by it being rooted in the ground the vine would not give and pulled the stem off the pumpkin. Take caution that this doesn't happen to your big pumpkins....not all is lost..Chubby has a sister!

oh man! bummer! I hope his sister takes over and gets BIG! We are still sitting at 4 leaves now, still waiting on our new soil from GroWell. I hope it's not too late to plant when we finally get it Sad Keep us informed how sister does, what's her name?? bounce
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/15/2012, 11:37 pm

josh sorry to hear about Chubby Chumpkins Sad
54 lbs is huge for how young he was.....i hope his baby sister will out grow him!!

LLM hope Amanda is doing ok....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/16/2012, 10:26 am

Hi Rose,
Thanks for asking - Amanda is doing fine after yesterdays surgery. She's bigger than a softball, meaning she wasn't growing real fast. Hopefully now she can grow quickly without those nasty svb worms. I described it in the other post above. This morning I hand pollinated a second female, turned around to grab some tulle, looked back and there was a bee on the flower hopefully reinforcing what I finished. If I grow pumpkins again must remember to hand pollinate everything and keep the vines covered for the first month or so to avoid svb. Have plenty of good soil or compost to cover every leaf node that grows its own roots. And from Josh's experience maybe? not let the leaf nodes root near it and also keep the baby at a 90 degree angle away from the vine or risk that it will detach.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 7/16/2012, 4:36 pm

Thanks Rose and everyone,
This is how we learn... Sad...but if we all pull together and share what happens this year...maybe next year we can have a real contest and with some really BIG STUFF!

I too had the svb problem, and I read the post about injecting the bt and just in time too! My dad works at the grain co and they had the syringes so he brought me one home and I gave it an injection and the next day it looked much better!!
At the base of the stem where it came out of the ground was 3 soft brownish looking brown spots about the size of a quarter, I cut off the mushy brown and sprayed it with fungicide and one spot made a complete hole into the vine, I injected the bt in that area, the next day the leaves on the vine had improved and continue to look better. A BIG thank you to whoever that was who posted how to inject the bt in the vine!!! I have lost where that post was.

So do you think we should inject the bt into the vine even before signs of the svb as a prevention? Or do you have to wait till you see svb damage first?

A sad picture....Sad
Big Stuff - Page 7 ThedeathofChubby7-15-12
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/16/2012, 7:41 pm

I read that post too about doing injections but can't recall who it was. Also read that injections can certainly be done as prevention too. I'm convinced the threat of svb cannot be treated casually. From now on I'm going to treat it very seriously and prepare for it. I also read that in the south the svb occurs twice in the season. In the north we're suppose to prepare for it once from June through mid July. The problem is I don't know if the source was accurate. Another thing, someone on youtube said once you cut the vine like I did, usually the growth will no longer be as vigorous, resulting of course in smaller fruit. So we'll see about that. At this point I'll be happy with one live pumpkin come October. Any size.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/16/2012, 8:07 pm

I found this.

http://yardener.com/YardenersPlantProblemSolver/DealingWithPestInsects/PestInsectsInTheVegetableGarden/SquashVineBorer/SolutionsforSquashVineBorer

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/16/2012, 8:19 pm

Kay I've seen that! Thanks, now I will save it.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/16/2012, 8:27 pm

Josh wrote:

A sad picture....Sad
Big Stuff - Page 7 ThedeathofChubby7-15-12
UGH! Gutted!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Big Stuff - Page 7 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 7/17/2012, 12:18 pm

I pulled up my carrots today, and this was what I got, all of them were grown in a SFG, I have one black carrot in the picture, all the other black carrots are flowering.
Big Stuff - Page 7 Carrots7-17-12

I had one pretty good size, but only measured 10 3/4 inches long. I added the picture in the BIG STUFF photo album, I will be watching to see who else has a big carrot, that shouldn't be hard to top! Very Happy

Big Stuff - Page 7 10threfouthinchcarrot7-17-12

Big Stuff - Page 7 Carrot7-17-12
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/17/2012, 1:15 pm

Yesterday's hand pollination worked.
Amanda has a new sister this morning, Betty Boop. I went out to take a picture then turned around because it was already too humid/hot to walk to the side of the property. Will post a photo this evening before sundown.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/17/2012, 1:24 pm

Hey Josh ,
Where did you find the metric ruler ? Laughing Laughing Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/18/2012, 11:16 am

That was a lot of Great Big Stuff reading and hats off to those growing big. I have some big stuff growing but it doesn't count cause when i added fresh compost, I dug it in deep which brought earthy soil to the surface and of course my pumpkin vines took root to regular soil past the main 4x10 area... Sigh. I will enjoy watching yall. I will be growing a giant cabbage and giant carrots this fall in a mels mix bed but I cheat with the carrots and add bone meal and other stuff.

happy gardening
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/18/2012, 2:31 pm

CP -- I would certainly count in your big stuff, there is no hard rules here about that. My pumpkins were put in straight compost since I didn't have a box for it. The compost ends up in Mels mix anyway. I simply don't have the peat and vermiculite in the compost. I'd love to see what you have!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 7/19/2012, 10:02 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:That was a lot of Great Big Stuff reading and hats off to those growing big. I have some big stuff growing but it doesn't count cause when i added fresh compost, I dug it in deep which brought earthy soil to the surface and of course my pumpkin vines took root to regular soil past the main 4x10 area... Sigh. I will enjoy watching yall. I will be growing a giant cabbage and giant carrots this fall in a mels mix bed but I cheat with the carrots and add bone meal and other stuff.

happy gardening

Carolyn you should go for it, my pumpkin patch has also rooted outside the SFG. I look forward to seeing your pumpkins, cabbage and carrots. I think there is an exception factor in growing the big stuff, even though MM is great, the really big stuff is going to have to have some of the extras, like bone mean and other stuff....so Join us and keep us posted on your BIG STUFF!!! Get some pictures of just starting off and what you end up with, it's fun to see how they grow. Keep track of what you did and how you did it to share with all the other BIG STUFF growers, then look out next year, who knows what kind of BIG STUFF we can grow!!
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/19/2012, 8:47 pm

Silly Amateur Pumpkin Poetry:
The Big Pumpkin Patch in the Sky
Chubby Chumpkin and Amanda now reside
Do not despair, if you look over there
Betty Boop and some friends have arrived.

Soo it looks like the squash vine borer removal was a success but Amanda didn't make it.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 7/19/2012, 9:36 pm

llama momma wrote:Silly Amateur Pumpkin Poetry:
The Big Pumpkin Patch in the Sky
Chubby Chumpkin and Amanda now reside
Do not despair, if you look over there
Betty Boop and some friends have arrived.

Soo it looks like the squash vine borer removal was a success but Amanda didn't make it.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Amanda, I hope Betty Boop takes off for you!

Here is Sister Suzy, can't tell yet if she is going to take off or not, should know in a few days.
Big Stuff - Page 7 SisterSuzy
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/19/2012, 9:43 pm

So we lost our first ones, may the next round with Sister Suzy go much better! Congrats!
Long before Betty Boop was pollinated she was very different looking with mild looking stripes instead of solid yellow like Sister Suzy and Amanda. I don't know what to make of that.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/21/2012, 2:28 pm

Well. My big pumpkin stopped growing at day 25 and estimated 145 pounds. I do not know why it stopped growing. The plant was healthy other than a few patches of powdery mildew. I have not cut it from the vine yet... was heart broken.
I had to grow my giant pumpkin under a shade cloth structure to keep the squash vine borers from killing it.
I will have to upload a couple pictures just to high light what I had to do. I only fed the plant Kelp and Fish emulsion until the pumpkin stopped growing and I thought maybe it was out of nutrients in the main bed area so i gave it some Miracle grow but that did nothing for it.
As much as I love giant pumpkins, I will not grow Atlantic giants in the future. Maybe a few field pumpkins......i dunno. I think right now I am so disappointing that I just want to quit for now but you know how things start rolling when a new spring comes around.
I also grew a few North Carolina Giant Cantalopes. The only thing I did for them was put rich compost, bone meal, and lime in the 4x4 area and fed it some fish emulsion and Kelp every now and then. That was it. (same with the pumpkin)
I have several giant cantaloupes growing now. One is really big considering it was my first try.

ill go upload some pics.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/21/2012, 2:45 pm

June 30 patch view. Two pumpkin plants growing in there. It is much fuller now. But I am about to pull the plants so I can make sfg beds for fall crops.
I had also buried some fish in the surrounding areas of the grow bed. By the time the vines get out there and take root, the fish has partially decayed and ready to feed the plant. Very Happy
Big Stuff - Page 7 100_3274
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/21/2012, 2:46 pm

the pumpkin Sad

Big Stuff - Page 7 100_3399
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/21/2012, 2:53 pm

The North Carolina Giant Cantaloupe.
44 inch circumference today...with a total of 104 inches Over The Top. Estimating 30 pounds. Growing about 1 inch in circumference each day now and slowing down a lot. A few days last week it was growing 3 inches a day.
This picture was taken July 20th. Seed came from a 27.5 pound cantaloupe grown by a man named Joe Gerchy in Illinois.

Big Stuff - Page 7 100_3441
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/21/2012, 3:11 pm

Wishing everyone Lots and Lots of luck with your giants. They are always exciting to watch grow.

This is my Russian Mammoth Sunflower. She just started blooming this week.
Growing in barnyard compost, rabbit manure, bone meal, fed fish emulsion and kelp. She only stands 9.5 to 10ft tall. I wanted more bloom than height. If you want tallest sunflower, you give it lots of nitrogen. If you want largest flower, you feed it lots of phosphorus.
Big Stuff - Page 7 100_3451
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/21/2012, 8:19 pm

wow Carolyn you certainly have some HUGE plants.
I am hoping my brandy wines are going to be as large as they were last year, they were about 2 lbs each last year, but it is going to be awhile before they are even ripe
What are you going to do with that cantaloupe ?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next