Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? Toplef10Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? I22gcj10Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? Toplef10Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? I22gcj10Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atlantic: April 2012 - What's UP?

+10
walshevak
Moreman78
Andrea13
moswell
billamj
Dunkinjean
Too Tall Tomatoes
Tuxdad
Mikesgardn
sfg4uKim
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? Empty Mid-Atlantic: April 2012 - What's UP?

Post  sfg4uKim 4/5/2012, 8:31 pm

Hey Mid Atlanticers!

What's up (or about to come up) in your garden? Any problems? Successes?

I've been so busy with my SFG business that I haven't gotten MY garden done yet! Very Happy Isn't that always the way? I even had to take out some of my version of MM (someone asked so let me explain . . . unless we have an agreement with the Foundation, we're not allowed to call what we sell Mel's Mix) out of my bed to give to a customer so I've only got about 2'x8' of my 23' long bed planted.

So far I've planted cabbage, lettuce, beets, onions, marigolds, spinach, garlic, snap peas, beans and radishes. The worst "pests" have been my Beagles Scout & Sophie. They jump over the short fence so they can chase the rabbit in the next yard. When they're not doing that, they're eating the mix. So I will have to replant a significant number of plants.

We've had a few nights where the temperature has gotten down into the mid 30s, but NOT down to freezing yet.

I received my shipment of dwarf fruit trees from Gurneys earlier than expected and wasn't ready for them. SO I basically just threw them all into a huge pot. Even though they were covered well, I may have lost the banana.

OH, I almost forgot, I also planted pansies and lettuce in boxes on my front porch railing and they seem to be doing well.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? Empty Re: Mid-Atlantic: April 2012 - What's UP?

Post  Mikesgardn 4/5/2012, 8:46 pm

I planted lettuce, spinach, snap peas, radishes, and beets in my garden. I planted the seeds directly in the ground, not seedlings. I notice that my lettuce is growing slowly. I planted on March 15, but the plants only have the two seed leaves, about 1/4" in length. They've been the same size all week. Maybe I'm rushing things.

The peas look like they are doing well. I tried pre-sprouting the seeds this year. I placed them between wet paper towels, and put them in a baggie on top of my water heater for warmth. That worked very well. Once they sprouted, I planted them in the ground, and all the seeds have been growing well.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? Empty Re: Mid-Atlantic: April 2012 - What's UP?

Post  Tuxdad 4/5/2012, 9:51 pm

I planted 2 squares(each) of onionsand carrots about 3 weeks ago, and they're going nuts !!

I've got Asters, regular and dwarf marigolds(just one of the dwarf versions has sprouted), two types of 'maters, nasturtium have all sprouted in under my DIY growlight.. Waiting to see what happens with my 2 types of okra and pole beans, nothing yet, with them..Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 601593

Gonna have to make another growlight here soon to give the sprouts room to grow while I wait on the other seeds to take off... May look at making some small ones this time rather than the large one I did up...

Last edited by Tuxdad on 4/5/2012, 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just needed to add something..)
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/5/2012, 10:43 pm

I'm still waiting for two things to happen:

1) building my boxes
2) finishing the compost

I'm actually building the boxes this weekend. My brother-in-law's coming up to help me. Or maybe I should say, I'm helping him because I'm such a tool tard.

The compost is almost done. It will definitely be ready by the end of April.

Then comes the fun part. Even though my own compost has an awesome selection of ingredients(rabbit manure, alpaca manure, horse manure, fish parts, A LOT of leaves, and the usual compost ingredients) which would be fine for the 5-ingredient blend, I still want at least two more composts. I have a source of duck manure compost. I have to pick that up in New Jersey. I also want cow manure compost. That's easy enough to get locally. Blend that with my compost and I will have some top-notch stuff. If I happen to find chicken manure compost around here(I know I saw it at a garden center around here), then that'll go into the mix as well.
Peat moss is easy enough to get around here too. If the price is decent, I'll get it at the feed store in town. I found a decent price on vermiculite at another garden center that's within 45 minutes of my house.
After I gather all of the ingredients, then comes the blend-and-fill part of gardening.

What a Face
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 4/6/2012, 1:00 pm

Just checked my sprouts this morning and one of my pole beans has "punched" through..Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 53366

I'm not having much faith in the okras right now, after reading that they have a storage life of about 2 yrs.. If they sprout I'll have to let one of the pods get big so as to use it for seeds the following year...
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 4/6/2012, 9:29 pm

I planted about 2-3 weeks ago carrots, radishes, beets, 3 different kinds of lettuce, and peas all direct from seed.

Next week I will plant beans and cucumbers. (I just got an email stating I can plant cucumbers now - I have previously waited until May 10th). Maybe that is why my cucumbers always horrible - it was too hot when they matured.

Also, planted garlic past fall for the first time.

Arrived in DC yesterday and spending the weeking with our son and daughter-in-law. They have a large plot in a community garden and today we cleaned it up, added compost, and made the grids. Tomorrow we will be planting!

Best of luck everyone! sunny
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/6/2012, 11:28 pm

Wow....looks like I'm bringing up the rear. Embarassed
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 4/7/2012, 8:22 am

Nah, you're watching our backs is all...Wink Besides, it's not a race...Smile
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/7/2012, 8:35 am

Tuxdad wrote:Nah, you're watching our backs is all...Wink Besides, it's not a race...Smile

I guess someone's gotta watch your backs huh?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. My brother-in-law's coming this morning to help me build my boxes. I'll take pictures during the construction process and post them here.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 4/7/2012, 9:52 am

Too Tall Tomatoes,

It is not a race, I am planting sooner than before and am very excited. Also, being in Washington, DC this weekend, we have to plant today for my son and daughter-in-law while visiting. It is a family project since their garden plot is so large. It is their 2nd year. They are still alittle unsure, they just don't realize they know do know what they are doing. It is also an organic garden.

You are building you boxes now so before you know it, they will be filled and have planted seeds and plants. The boxes and filling take the longest, the rest is easy!

Keep us posted on how your progress is going! flower
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 4/7/2012, 12:44 pm

Where in DC are you son and DIL ?? Use to live in NW, DC..
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 4/7/2012, 12:57 pm

Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
Tuxdad wrote:Nah, you're watching our backs is all...Wink Besides, it's not a race...Smile

I guess someone's gotta watch your backs huh?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. My brother-in-law's coming this morning to help me build my boxes. I'll take pictures during the construction process and post them here.

Looking forward to seeing the pics !!Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 61949
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  billamj 4/7/2012, 7:58 pm

I've finally gotten my beds built and filled with MM so I'm going to start planting this week. Very Happy Bed 1 will be my berry bed with 3 different blueberries with strawberries planted as a cover crop below since they both like the same soil ph. Bed 2 is going to be my veggie bed, going with onions, carrots, bush beans, tomatoes and squash in that bed.

Here's a question for the group, should I be concerned about stink buds affecting my beds? We see them all over the place around here, I don't think that you can go more than 2 or 3 days without seeing them. If so, what is the best way of handling them?
billamj
billamj

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/7/2012, 8:53 pm

They haven't found anything that really helps with stink bugs. I used a sheer material to cover my plants (they especially loved my tomatoes and beets) and used a cordless dust buster vacuum to suck the buggers off.

Where are you located? Here in Maryland they don't seem to be as bad as they have in the last 2 years. Maybe they're "moving on"?

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  billamj 4/7/2012, 9:11 pm

We're in Southeastern Pa. not too far from Reading. I can't say that I've seen that many so far this year but from July through November last year they were horrendous.
billamj
billamj

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/7/2012, 10:10 pm

billamj wrote:We're in Southeastern Pa. not too far from Reading. I can't say that I've seen that many so far this year but from July through November last year they were horrendous.

Hey now....another Pennsylvanian. Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 3170584802

I live about 45 minutes north of Reading
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 4/8/2012, 12:00 pm

Like Mike, I've got some lettuces that have sprouted and have two very small real leaves, but they don't seem to be growing further. Other than that, I've got spinach, scallions, peas, and a couple carrots (critters got to most of the carrot seeds I think) that were sown directly into the garden and are growing nicely.

The scallions and thyme I left out (not in Mel's Mix - these were pots pre-SFG for me) are back and growing.

The garlic and shallots I planted in the fall are doing nicely (I think I lost only a couple bulbs out of the several squares I planted).

I bought a few transplants of broccoli, oregano, rosemary, onions, and lettuce. All are doing fine at the moment.

I spent three hours yesterday making more mix and getting my new containers filled. I'll try to post some pics later today!
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 4/8/2012, 5:04 pm

This weekend's been pretty productive as far as my SFG is concerned..

I made a couple more frames to plant my 'maters' and beansMid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 100_0718, along with making a DIY compost sifter .. I'll be finishing the stones this week, sometime.. Gonna decide whether to add gravel or not around the edges..

The sifter's no mechanical wonder but will get the job done, after testing it out...Laughing

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 100_0716

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 100_0717
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/8/2012, 7:53 pm

hey Tuxdad.....that compost sifter is awesome! Since I decided that I should sift my compost, I would love to build a sifter just like yours.

What a Face
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 4/8/2012, 8:00 pm

Go for it.. I'll be sifting a good bit with all the compost I have.. I'll probably use that for my herb sfg set up next to back porch.. Will just have to pick up a bit more vermiculite is all, or figure out an alternative to it...
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  billamj 4/9/2012, 7:57 pm

Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
billamj wrote:We're in Southeastern Pa. not too far from Reading. I can't say that I've seen that many so far this year but from July through November last year they were horrendous.

Hey now....another Pennsylvanian. Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 3170584802

I knew that there had to be neighbors around. bounce Nice meeting you Too Tall Tomatoes. I'm hoping to have that problem at some point this year. Wink jocolor
billamj
billamj

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/9/2012, 9:09 pm

billamj wrote:
Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

I knew that there had to be neighbors around. bounce Nice meeting you Too Tall Tomatoes. I'm hoping to have that problem at some point this year. Wink jocolor

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 3170584802
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 4/16/2012, 12:34 pm

I have some little lettuce and spinach sprouts that are finally looking like something Smile I direct sowed them many weeks ago, and I'm very excited to see what will soon become my first (ever) harvest.

Mid-Atlantic:  April 2012 - What's UP? 832433

Also, my sugar snap peas are doing great....grabbing on to the trellis and everything else in sight!

The Kentucky pole beans are not doing much. I don't know if it got too cold for them or what, but they are just kinda hanging out with a few good size leaves. They don't seem to be going anywhere though.

I keep sticking some more lettuce/spinach seeds in the ground every other week or so, but I suspect soon I should shift my focus on to some summer veggies?
Andrea13
Andrea13

Female Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  billamj 4/16/2012, 12:41 pm

I put in some broccoli plants and onions sets over the weekend and sowed my first crop(s) of bush beans, green and yellow, as well as some carrots and bush cucumbers. It's worth a try anyway. The plants look good two days later. Wink The really big news is that I got my blueberries and strawberries in the bed that I specifically built for them. Very Happy Got them in early on Saturday and they're really looking happy at this point! I'll be putting in tomatoes and vine cucumbers at the end of this month.
billamj
billamj

Back to top Go down

Post  Moreman78 4/24/2012, 1:38 pm

We planted some corn a few weeks ago and it is starting to come up as well as a couple of pumpkin seeds. My kids were excited to start pumpkins, probably way too early, but we are in experiment mode around our garden.

I'm learning that some crops started from seed "cost" more than the benefit derived at harvest time. Such as broccoli. I would sure love to save money and not have to buy broccoli at the store, as well as the satisfaction of growing on my own, but never had much luck with it. It takes up a whole square to plant it and seems like we'd go through it quickly even if we did get a great harvest off of the one plant.

But again, still in experiment mode which is a great part of the fun. After all, isn't that what Mel did to figure out the SFG method?
Moreman78
Moreman78

Male Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next