Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Magical Mornings in our Gardens
by trolleydriver Today at 5:23 pm

» Pests...How to keep at bay
by jimmy cee Today at 5:17 pm

» Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?
by ispinwool Today at 4:55 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 4:43 pm

» On the Road
by sanderson Today at 4:13 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 4:07 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2018
by Turan Today at 3:49 pm

» Mr. Booker's Garden -2018
by Turan Today at 3:39 pm

» Any tips growing with Jiffy Pots
by Turan Today at 3:19 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018
by Kelejan Today at 12:27 pm

» N&C Midwest - MAY! Spring has sprung!
by farmersgranddaughter Today at 8:48 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 6:49 am

» Just starting in NW Conneticut
by farmersgranddaughter Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 4:11 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:10 pm

» New SFG box-Humanitarian way
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Lurking newby
by farmersgranddaughter Yesterday at 8:30 am

» Powdery Mildew already striking
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:50 am

» Greenbeards Grove 2018
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:29 am

» Compost pile in Schwenksville PA.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:17 am

» Help! Onion Maggots!
by Sunsanvil Tue 22 May 2018, 5:53 pm

» Situation in Hawaii
by CapeCoddess Tue 22 May 2018, 4:29 pm

» New England May 2018
by CapeCoddess Tue 22 May 2018, 3:43 pm

» Just Completed my Garden.....What Should I Plant NOW!
by ispinwool Tue 22 May 2018, 11:09 am

» Hi from Buffalo
by ispinwool Mon 21 May 2018, 2:20 pm

» Hi from Burrrrlington Vermont!
by ispinwool Mon 21 May 2018, 2:07 pm

» Volunteer Mushroom
by Windsor.Parker Mon 21 May 2018, 9:16 am

» 2018 SFG in Brooks, GA
by yolos Sun 20 May 2018, 10:16 pm

» Potato growing
by Scorpio Rising Sun 20 May 2018, 9:49 am

» Aero Garden for starting seeds?
by Windsor.Parker Thu 17 May 2018, 3:44 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

compost sources in East TN

Go down

compost sources in East TN

Post  SherrieLou on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:29 pm

Hi All, I am just getting started but am struggling to find compost. Does anyone have any sources for compost in East TN?
avatar
SherrieLou

Female Posts : 22
Join date : 2012-03-31
Location : East TN, at the foot of The Smokies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  TN_GARDENER on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:45 pm

I saw what looked to be a couple different bags of compost at one of the garden center stores. Monterey Mushroom is in Loudon and several garden centers carry their compost.

I also think I've seen the commercial black cow n black chicken stuff at the home improvement stores.

I've seen folks list manure on craigslist. I've even seen folks list aged animal manure (chicken, rabbit, horse, etc.).

If you are real anxious, you can get the hydroponic stores to order bat guano.

TN_GARDENER

Posts : 228
Join date : 2011-06-16
Location : TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  jennifer37918 on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

Here's what I found where in Knoxville (after trying to drive everywhere). I wasn't thrilled with my 5 types, but it's better than not having 5 types.

Cow - Home Depot and Lowe's both stocked a cow product: Moonure and Black Kow respectively.

Mushroom - I only found this at Home Depot

Chicken - I only found this at Lowe's (Black Hen). Some of the stores had it stocked with the lawn improvement products like Lime and some had it near the mulch and potting soil.

Humus & Manure - I bought this at Lowe's; can't remember if anyone else had it. I'm not sure what the ingredients are and would have left this out if I'd had the option.

Soil conditioner - I bought this at Home Depot, I think. I think it's ingredients list forest compost, but I can't remember for sure. I would have also replace this one if I'd had another option.


I tried Ace Hardware. They said they has compost, but there wasn't any on the aisle they pointed me to.

I also asked at the Knox Coop on Asheville Hwy. They said they had cow and mushroom, but I already had those by then. I did buy my coarse vermiculite from them.

If you find any other options, let me know! So far, what I've planted seems to be thriving, but I don't know how long it takes a bad mix to prove unworthy. (This is my first year.)

Soil Conditioner -
avatar
jennifer37918

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-03-03
Location : Knoxville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  walshevak on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm

@jennifer37918 wrote:Here's what I found where in Knoxville (after trying to drive everywhere). I wasn't thrilled with my 5 types, but it's better than not having 5 types.

Cow - Home Depot and Lowe's both stocked a cow product: Moonure and Black Kow respectively.

Mushroom - I only found this at Home Depot

Chicken - I only found this at Lowe's (Black Hen). Some of the stores had it stocked with the lawn improvement products like Lime and some had it near the mulch and potting soil.

Humus & Manure - I bought this at Lowe's; can't remember if anyone else had it. I'm not sure what the ingredients are and would have left this out if I'd had the option.

Soil conditioner - I bought this at Home Depot, I think. I think it's ingredients list forest compost, but I can't remember for sure. I would have also replace this one if I'd had another option.




I tried Ace Hardware. They said they has compost, but there wasn't any on the aisle they pointed me to.

I also asked at the Knox Coop on Asheville Hwy. They said they had cow and mushroom, but I already had those by then. I did buy my coarse vermiculite from them.

If you find any other options, let me know! So far, what I've planted seems to be thriving, but I don't know how long it takes a bad mix to prove unworthy. (This is my first year.)

Soil Conditioner -

You have basically the same mix I have and it does great. Black Kow and Black Hen are real work horses.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
avatar
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4365
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 75
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  TN_GARDENER on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:16 am

Check on Craigslist. There's a few folks on there with manure (rabbit, chicken, horse, etc.).

I know there are alpaca farms in East TN, also.

I seem to recall seeing some other stuff at Mayo's (haven't been to Pope's, yet).

TN_GARDENER

Posts : 228
Join date : 2011-06-16
Location : TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Compost Sources in East TN

Post  SherrieLou on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

Thanks for all of the help!!

I found the Black Cow Manure and Vermiculite at Out of Eden on Rt 411 (they were listed in the database). They also had "Wiggle Worm" organic worm casings. Since I don't have my own compost yet I went for it.

Found the Mushroom Compost at Home Depot and also bought the Organic Soil Conditioner (from forestation). It made me nervouse but was getting desperate at that point and thought it was better then nothing. Been debating whether to return it or not. ?? Currently it makes #5 on my list but if I find a better replacement I may still ditch it.

Will check out Craig's List and am headed to Lowes for "Black Hen".

I'll let you know if my quest uncovers anything interesting. sunny
avatar
SherrieLou

Female Posts : 22
Join date : 2012-03-31
Location : East TN, at the foot of The Smokies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  TN_GARDENER on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:27 pm

You can also find some stuff at:

Innovative Hydroponic Supply

3286 North Park Blvd., Unit G


Alcoa, TN 37701

If they don't have it, ask them to order it.

Might also check with Pope's.

TN_GARDENER

Posts : 228
Join date : 2011-06-16
Location : TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thanks! didn't know about IHS, great idea!

Post  SherrieLou on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:18 pm

@TN_GARDENER wrote:You can also find some stuff at:

Innovative Hydroponic Supply
3286 North Park Blvd., Unit G


Alcoa, TN 37701

If they don't have it, ask them to order it.

Might also check with Pope's.
avatar
SherrieLou

Female Posts : 22
Join date : 2012-03-31
Location : East TN, at the foot of The Smokies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  toddvol on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:07 am

Blount County Co-op has Humus and course 4 cu. ft. vermiculite. They also have the 4'x4'x7" cedar raised bed kits made by Greenes for $39 I believe.

Man..that hen manure from Lowes sure does smell nice Laughing

When I bought Black Hen the lady at the outdoor checkout immediately got a whiff. She asked what that awful smell was and I told her chicken..... The replied Chicken Shhh..? She almost said it. Very Happy
avatar
toddvol

Posts : 7
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : East TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  mapspringer on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:58 am

@toddvol wrote:Blount County Co-op has Humus and course 4 cu. ft. vermiculite. They also have the 4'x4'x7" cedar raised bed kits made by Greenes for $39 I believe.

Man..that hen manure from Lowes sure does smell nice Laughing

When I bought Black Hen the lady at the outdoor checkout immediately got a whiff. She asked what that awful smell was and I told her chicken..... The replied Chicken Shhh..? She almost said it. Very Happy

It's my understanding that composted material should have no smell, or at least only an earthy smell, and that you shouldn't use it unless it is fully decomposed (composted.) I could have purchased some Chickity-Doo brand manure, but didn't because is wreaked something awful. If I'm wrong on this, someone do please correct me.
avatar
mapspringer

Male Posts : 66
Join date : 2012-04-01
Location : Middle Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  walshevak on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:03 pm

Black Hen is fully composted and will not burn, but when you first open the bag is smells to high heaven. (I checked with the producer) After mixing with all the rest and sitting in the open a few days the smell goes away. I saw elsewhere on the forum that Chickity doo doo is the same. Black Hen really boosts your growing power.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
avatar
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4365
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 75
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  TN_GARDENER on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

@walshevak wrote:Black Hen is fully composted and will not burn, but when you first open the bag is smells to high heaven. (I checked with the producer) After mixing with all the rest and sitting in the open a few days the smell goes away. I saw elsewhere on the forum that Chickity doo doo is the same. Black Hen really boosts your growing power.

Kay

Read something on the interweb about manure n compost smell. Fella said it's foolish to spread the stuff and let the gases escape. Said something about that smell is the nutrients (nitrogen/ammonia) leeching out. Says he prefers to work it in to the soil and let it rest a couple days or so instead. I read that, and I wondered if that might not be wise?

TN_GARDENER

Posts : 228
Join date : 2011-06-16
Location : TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thank you for the resources

Post  michellentn on Mon 14 May 2012, 11:44 am

awesome list...i picked up the mushroom compost at HD the other day.
avatar
michellentn

Female Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-04-24
Location : Knoxville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

great sources! thanks!

Post  sassykat&joe on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 5:29 pm

I too am a newbie, wanting to set up my first box. I'm north of Knoxville, so was planning on looking from Lafollette (so far found Black Kow and Black hen at Lowes in Lafollette) down to Knoxville, and over to Oak Ridge and to Morristown. This list has saved me major aggravation.
avatar
sassykat&joe

Posts : 10
Join date : 2012-07-15
Location : the hills of east Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  walshevak on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:05 pm

@TN_GARDENER wrote:
@walshevak wrote:Black Hen is fully composted and will not burn, but when you first open the bag is smells to high heaven. (I checked with the producer) After mixing with all the rest and sitting in the open a few days the smell goes away. I saw elsewhere on the forum that Chickity doo doo is the same. Black Hen really boosts your growing power.

Kay

Read something on the interweb about manure n compost smell. Fella said it's foolish to spread the stuff and let the gases escape. Said something about that smell is the nutrients (nitrogen/ammonia) leeching out. Says he prefers to work it in to the soil and let it rest a couple days or so instead. I read that, and I wondered if that might not be wise?

Making up the MM is basically doing that. I didn't get my MM into the boxes the same day I mixed, and by the time I did, the smell had almost disappeared. But I wouldn't hesitate to put into the box and plant right away.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
avatar
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4365
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 75
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  jennifer37918 on Fri 07 Sep 2012, 3:24 am

I found one more type for sale locally: Earthworm Castings. I found it at Three Rivers Market and at the Farmers Market at Market Square. It's the most expensive so far. I'm leaning toward getting my own worms instead of paying so much for it.
avatar
jennifer37918

Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-03-03
Location : Knoxville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: compost sources in East TN

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum