Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... Toplef10Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... I22gcj10Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... Toplef10Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... I22gcj10Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises...

+4
quiltbea
camprn
curio
Tuxdad
8 posters

Go down

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... Empty Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises...

Post  Tuxdad 3/31/2012, 10:57 am

Been reading thru some of the posts on trellis set-ups and how some are having troubles with multible plants trying to grow up on trellis..

I'll be having peppers, two types of 'maters, and two type of pole beans..

What would you do ??
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... Empty Re: Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises...

Post  curio 3/31/2012, 11:43 am

peppers don't need trellising, as they grow as a bush type plant.
The tomatoes and pole beans will need something to support them as they grow (such as trellises)
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... Empty Re: Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises...

Post  camprn 3/31/2012, 11:46 am

I stake my peppers. I used a Florida weave trellis for my determinate cherry tomatoes, to keep them contained, I had overhead trellis for indeterminate tomatoes and straight up trellis for bean and peas. I used a near upright trellis for my space master cukes.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 3/31/2012, 12:04 pm

So I'll be picking up some extra pvc in the next few weeks then I guess...lol
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/31/2012, 9:13 pm

I use tall metal fence posts at either end of all my beds with strings for training up the tomatoes. I can tie trellis netting between the posts for the peas and vining beans. Then I can switch them the following year for rotation of the crops.

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 07-04-17
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 4/1/2012, 10:19 am

I was trying not to spend a lot on this(in case things don't go so well with it.. Pvc seemed cheapest and if things go well I'll go with something a bit more permanent for next year..

Thanks for the idea..

I guess I'll be making a separate trellis for my 'maters, and beans..Smile
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/1/2012, 10:29 am

I found these at home depot. They're not exactly the same - and were only $3.99 each...

http://www.gardeners.com/Tomato-Support-Cages/15172,default,pd.html

Thought they'd be great for the cherry tomatoes I want to plant...
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/1/2012, 10:56 am

Hi Kittykat!

Those do seem like nice cages. The one thing I would take into consideration about those cages is it appears that they are barely 3' tall - only 32 inches once placed in the ground, according to the specifications. They do say you can stack them.

If it were me, I would check the package on your cherry tomatoes and see if they are determinate or indeterminate. If they are indeterminate, i.e. large and vining, plan for your plants to be 6' tall or more depending on your climate so you would need to have two of these stacked for that purpose.

Determinate tomatoes might do fine in just one. If you have indeterminates and don't want to invest in stacking your cages, there are some pretty neat ways to trellis them.

These might including stringing, Florida weave, tomato swirl stakes, tomato netting, etc. One member, Acara, even tied them to a trellis made of the type of plastic lattice you put under a porch and kept them well pruned, so as to appease his HOA... Another member, squatjohnson, has these nifty "swingset frame" looking structures that support the strings to string his tomatoes...

Defintely use the white search bar in the upper left of this page and look for some of the terms above and you should find some pictures that members have posted... Smile

You've got me so longing for cherry tomatoes...LOVE those little guys... Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/1/2012, 11:36 am

@kittykat......Most cherry tomatoes are indeterminates so will grow to 6' on their vines. If you want the shorter ones, try Determinate varieties. I have some that only grow 2' to 2 1/2' tall but will give me normal-sized tomatoes (Sophie's Choice) and others grow about 3' to 4' tall and no taller. Read the packet labels.

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 07-30-21

Sophie's Choice in a pot last year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/1/2012, 1:27 pm

@quiltbea & UnderTheBlackWalnut - thanks so much for all the info! I'm just going to buy plants already started at the nursery when it's time, so I'll be sure to double-check that they are determinate cherry tomatoes...

You input is MUCH appreciated! Thanks!!

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 109486
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/1/2012, 1:35 pm

As QB said, most cherry tomatoes are indeterminates. If you have your heart set on cherry, you may want to contact your nursery and see if they plan to propagate any indeterminate cherries (as there are not many kinds at all). Otherwise if you want determinate tomatoes you will need to go with the small fruited varieties of "standard" determinate tomatoes.

Check out this site - I have never ordered from them but I find them to be fairly comprehensive with their info...they have a separate seed section just for determinates... Smile
TomatoFest
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/1/2012, 1:53 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:As QB said, most cherry tomatoes are indeterminates. If you have your heart set on cherry, you may want to contact your nursery and see if they plan to propagate any indeterminate cherries (as there are not many kinds at all). Otherwise if you want determinate tomatoes you will need to go with the small fruited varieties of "standard" determinate tomatoes.

Check out this site - I have never ordered from them but I find them to be fairly comprehensive with their info...they have a separate seed section just for determinates... Smile
TomatoFest

I can vouch for TomatoFest. I bought half of my tomato seeds there. The ordering is quick and you get them delivered pretty quick too. They break down all of their tomato varieties by different categories. Browsing them is a snap.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/1/2012, 1:55 pm

Thanks TTT - I do really like their site! Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/1/2012, 1:59 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:Thanks TTT - I do really like their site! Smile

You're welcome Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 3170584802 Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 3170584802
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... Empty Early Cherry is Determinate

Post  quiltbea 4/11/2012, 9:11 am

I had one cherry that was Determinate last year, lots of toms and great flavor. Its called Early Cherry.

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... 07-30-22

This is Early Cherry in a pot with a tomato cage around it last year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 4/11/2012, 10:09 am

Tuxdad wrote:I was trying not to spend a lot on this(in case things don't go so well with it.. Pvc seemed cheapest and if things go well I'll go with something a bit more permanent for next year..

Thanks for the idea..

I guess I'll be making a separate trellis for my 'maters, and beans..Smile

I'm panning to make some tomato supports from bamboo, scrap wood & cheap furring strips. I envision some sort of A-frame to support my 4 tomatoes. I will make horizontal supports from the scrap wood, tree limbs, bamboo & string. I suspect I will spend $6 on the 5 furring strips that I will make my A-frame from.

This is not mine, but this is sorta the idea:

Got a feeling I'll be putting up multiple trellises... Trellis-LB1004-6247
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down