Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? Toplef10Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? I22gcj10Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? Toplef10Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? I22gcj10Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood?

+4
llama momma
yolos
minervalong
sfg4uKim
8 posters

Go down

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? Empty Do pallets contain pressure treated wood?

Post  sfg4uKim 3/29/2012, 9:14 am

There was a question on the SFG Facebook page. A woman wanted to make a pallet compost bin and said that she's heard that pallets contain pressure-treated wood.

I know there is such a thing as "HT" (heat treated) which does not use chemicals and it's posted on the pallet.

I searched "pallet danger" and "pallet chemical" on the Forum & didn't see anything. Did I miss the info, or can someone help with this issue?

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? Empty re: pallet made with pressure treated

Post  minervalong 3/29/2012, 9:26 am

good morning kim,

i work for the worlds largest retailer and as you can imagine keeping a 200k square foot store stocked requires pallets loads of things every night. i've never seen any that came through our store that had the appearance of pressure treated, just rough cut pine these days. some places make pallets out of a harder wood because of the weight of the items shipped, so you might see some of oak. i don't know why anyone would use pt, it increases the expense and the lifespan of them is determined by how many times they are hit with a pallet jack not being in the weather.

Last edited by minervalong on 3/29/2012, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out dimensions)
minervalong
minervalong

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? Empty Re: Do pallets contain pressure treated wood?

Post  yolos 3/29/2012, 9:55 am

I work for a pallet manufacturing company on the Southside of Atlanta, Ga. Very rarely we have a customer who may want a pallet made from pressure treated wood (but not very often and we do not stock pressure treated wood because it is used so seldom). The majority of our pallets are made from oak. Kiln dried pine is also used.

The one problem with pallets would be if they were treated with a chemical (Methal Bromide) to kill any insects which may be inside the wood. If the pallets are being sent out of (or into) the USA, they have to be treated for wood boring insects. Most pallet companies that I am familiar with heat treat the pallets to kill the insects rather than using a chemical. If the pallets are heat treated, they are stamped with a symbol and the initials HT. If the pallets are treated with Methal Bromide they are stamped with a symbol and the initials MB.

Another possible problem with pallets are chemicals used by the pallet companies to retard mold. We occasionally have a customer who will ask to have the pallets treated for mold because they will be shipping the pallets overseas in containers (or for other reasons) and they may want them treated for mold. We use freshly cut lumber so there is a great deal of moisture still in the wood which will lead to mold in humid conditions. There are no stamps or other indications on the pallets showing they have been treated for mold. We use a brand name chemical called X-mold. I do not know what chemicals other companies use. If the pallet is made from pine, they will not be treated with this chemical because the pine is all kiln dried.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? Empty Re: Do pallets contain pressure treated wood?

Post  sfg4uKim 3/29/2012, 10:19 am

THANK YOU! I didn't want to give out wrong information.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/29/2012, 10:21 am

Yolos
Enjoyed your excellent lesson on wooden pallets.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? Empty re: pallet made with pressure treated

Post  minervalong 3/29/2012, 10:23 am

Thanks yolo, I was just going on what I saw at work. It continually amazes me the depth of professions, experience and knowledge of the folks on this forum who are all so generous with their expertise.
minervalong
minervalong

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/29/2012, 10:30 am

One small change to the information I posted earlier. I was incorrect, not all pine is kiln dried so it is possible that it has been treated with Methal Bromide but it will be stamped with the initials MB.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/29/2012, 10:31 am

Bravo for the good info! Thank you!
I use any oak pallets I can lay my hands on!!!! Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Do pallets contain pressure treated wood? Empty I need an 8ft oak pallet insect treated

Post  walshevak 3/29/2012, 3:22 pm

Where should I look to find an insect treated oak pallet. I am shipping a very heavy piece of resturant equipment to the Philippines. I'm trying to make a crate myself. Have the plans.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/29/2012, 3:38 pm

I do not know which countries now require a pallet/crate be treated before allowing the pallet/crate into the country. So you should first start by finding out whether the Phillipines require it to be treated.

Then if required, if it were me, I would call a local pallet company who may be able to help you out. Our company periodically heat treats a pallet/crate for someone who does not want to buy a pallet but just wants something heat treated. As far as I know, there is no requirement that it be an oak pallet. The pallet/crate must have a stamp on it (designating that it has been treated) to be allowed into many countries. Only companies who have been certified are allowed to treat the pallets. The companies are inspected every month to make sure they are in compliance with all the rules. Therefore, they are going to charge for the treatment. Our company charges between .50 and $3.00 depending on the size and thickness of the wood.

Therefore, if the Phillipines require treatment, and if you want to build your own pallet/crate and can find a company to treat it, you are good to go.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/29/2012, 3:42 pm

One of my pallets had HT(yay) on it but I found others with different lettering. HP and the other TP. Wonder what that is? Maybe pallet company abbreviations?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/29/2012, 4:09 pm

I just went and looked at our heat treatment stamps. There is a HT (meaning heat treated) and TP (stands for the company that inspects us - Timber Products Co.). Both of these sets of initials are on each stamp. I do not know what HP stands for.

If you are shipping overseas, you must have a new stamp on the pallets. The port authorities do not know whether you used an old pallet that has a stamp on it and then replaced one board that was broken that may not have been heat treated. This one board may harbor bad insects. Therefore, it must be newly stamped. I don't know how they tell whether it is an old or new stamp though.

But this designation only affects shipping into other countries. The majority of the pallets in our country are not heat treated or treated with Methal Bromide.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/29/2012, 4:55 pm

OK and Thanks!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 3/31/2012, 2:18 am

walshevak wrote:Where should I look to find an insect treated oak pallet. I am shipping a very heavy piece of resturant equipment to the Philippines. I'm trying to make a crate myself. Have the plans.

Kay

You might wanna look into plastic export pallets. There less of a headache to ship overseas as you don't have to worry about insect infestation issues with plastic and are exempt from ISPM-15 regulations.

The company I work for uses plastic export pallets made by Nelson.

http://www.nelsoncompany.com/prodplasticpallets.cfm
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianDorry55 10/9/2013, 12:29 pm

Thanks for the information minervalong and yolos!

I am about to make two "pallet gardens" and it is nice to know that I shouldn't have to worry about any chemicals leeching into my veggies from the wood.
BrianDorry55
BrianDorry55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down