Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Central Ohio Toplef10Hello from Central Ohio 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Central Ohio I22gcj10Hello from Central Ohio 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Central Ohio Toplef10Hello from Central Ohio 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Central Ohio I22gcj10Hello from Central Ohio 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Central Ohio

+4
Cornerstone
WardinWake
choksaw
Cheryllsm
8 posters

Go down

Hello from Central Ohio Empty Hello from Central Ohio

Post  Cheryllsm 4/4/2010, 11:44 pm

Hi,
My name is Cheryl. I am new to gardening, have always wanted one but haven't had the land. Where we live now moss grows in the backyard, so good luck getting anything else to grow back there.
Well we are moving next month & the landlord has agreed to letting me have a garden...even has 2"x6" wood laying around Hello from Central Ohio Icon_biggrin & since it is an old farmhouse we even have a root cellar (plan on learning how to can too)
I'm pretty sure I live in a 5b area...it's in Columbus so we are right smack dab in the middle; I know I'll be starting late but I'm hopeful.

I found 4cubic foot bags of peat moss for $6 something at Walmart, also heard that Home Depot was having a sale on compost
Cheryllsm

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central Ohio Empty Re: Hello from Central Ohio

Post  choksaw 4/5/2010, 4:04 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums cheryllsm glad things worked out and you can enjoy in the experience of garedning free materials is always a good thing and the root cellar will definatly come in handy. fell free to ask any and all questions there are alot of experienced and creative people here and we are all here to help eachother
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/5/2010, 5:22 pm

Cheryllsm wrote:Hi,
My name is Cheryl. I am new to gardening, have always wanted one but haven't had the land. Where we live now moss grows in the backyard, so good luck getting anything else to grow back there.
Well we are moving next month & the landlord has agreed to letting me have a garden...even has 2"x6" wood laying around Hello from Central Ohio Icon_biggrin & since it is an old farmhouse we even have a root cellar (plan on learning how to can too)
I'm pretty sure I live in a 5b area...it's in Columbus so we are right smack dab in the middle; I know I'll be starting late but I'm hopeful.

I found 4cubic foot bags of peat moss for $6 something at Walmart, also heard that Home Depot was having a sale on compost

Hello from Central Ohio 396615 CHERYL:

Glad to have you on the Forum. Many times we get handed a present in this life and sometimes we do not recognize that it is a gift. It is wonderful that you see the move to an old farmhouse with a root cellar as a blessing. If you have children living at home it will be a double blessing as you will be able to teach them where food comes from and that growing it does not have to involve a lot of hard labor. When kids see how easy and fun it can be they will actually eat veggies, many times right out of the garden. Be sure to read the book, "ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening" and read it to the kids too. If you do not have any kids at home I'm sure there are some nearby who would love to help. Build each kid their own box to select the plants for and be responsible for. They will be learning and having fun at the same time.

Again Welcome,

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central Ohio Empty Welcome

Post  Cornerstone 4/6/2010, 12:15 am

Welcome Cheryllsm
I started with (and still using) free wood. I could not be happier Smile.

Welcome to the forum.
Cornerstone
Cornerstone

Male Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/8/2010, 8:00 am

Hi Cheryllsm and welcome to the Forums Hello from Central Ohio 61949,

I'm a fellow Ohioan and we have lots of SFGers in and around Columbus. Check in at the Regional Forum if you haven't already (Northern & Central Midwest).

I'll look for you there and hope you will post lots of pictures when you get started with your SFG.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/8/2010, 8:24 am

hi from newark!

so glad you found this forum!

cedars lawn and garden supply in newark seems to have the best price on vermiculite. might want to check that out. and if you do, come and visit at my house - i'm right down the road from that garden store. *smile*
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheryllsm 4/24/2010, 9:53 am

happyfrog wrote:hi from newark!

cedars lawn and garden supply in newark seems to have the best price on vermiculite. might want to check that out. and if you do, come and visit at my house - i'm right down the road from that garden store. *smile*

I'm going to be over in the Reynoldsburg/Pataskala area. you practically be my neighbor
I've found Strader's Garden center has it for $22 for 4cf
Cheryllsm

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/24/2010, 11:52 am

Cheryllsm wrote:
happyfrog wrote:hi from newark!

I'm going to be over in the Reynoldsburg/Pataskala area. you practically be my neighbor
I've found Strader's Garden center has it for $22 for 4cf

cedar's in newark is cheaper. so it's an excuse to come to my neighborhood. *grin*
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheryllsm 4/24/2010, 3:14 pm

I called Cedar's & they said it was 16.99 a bag. But I think I would spend the $ I saved on the gas to get out there...darn
Cheryllsm

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/24/2010, 5:53 pm

Cheryllsm wrote:I called Cedar's & they said it was 16.99 a bag. But I think I would spend the $ I saved on the gas to get out there...darn

cedar's also has a nice selection of compost!

chicken, steer (i think)
posy power, hay, cow . . .

and they have some really nice plants available - some are unique - and their flat prices are quite reasonable - $22/flat (if i remember correctly - i was out there recently). . .

oh and reynoldsburg is just under 30 miles to cedars in newark. depending on your gas mileage, it will cost 1 gallon of gas each way. . .or less if you have fuel efficient vehicle. . .

if you schedule it right, you can even have lunch at my place on your way back home again. *smiles* i do baked potatoes for lunch a LOT - or a fresh salad from my garden. *very big grin*
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/24/2010, 5:55 pm

oh, yeah almost forgot.

cedar's vermiculite is $5 CHEAPER than your source. that's equiv to two gallons of gas. buy 2 or more bags of vermiculite and it's worth the drive. Smile

and did i mention lunch is free? *grin*
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheryllsm 4/24/2010, 6:45 pm

I'm sitting here chuckling so hard DH is wondering what's wrong.
(I should be downstairs eating dinner, just came up to enter in a code word on another site) I do believe I need to make a trip just for the compost & I'll be driving my parents borrowed suburban which is I *think* a '96 or '94...it gets 10 miles to the gallon...
you are killing me with the fresh garden. We move the wk of may 17 & I have a crap load to still pack up (ie everything but the 10 boxes I already have packed. how you get anything done with 3 kids under 6 is beyond me; my 2 that are 5 & 2 have me pulling my hair out....another story another time...this is quickly turning into an out of the box talk...but I do that a lot too) Let me see how much I get done tomorrow & how much work we need to do over at the other place (we are also working off part of our deposit)
Cheryllsm

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central Ohio Empty Welcome from your Indiana neighbor

Post  jenjehle 4/24/2010, 9:30 pm

Hi Cheryl~

Welcome to the forums! And good luck with your SFG'ing experience. I'm sure you'll find it as enjoyable as all of us do. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding.

I'm in NE Indiana, Fort Wayne to be exact. So I'm a neighbor just next door. I have 5 kids age 12 and under and it is a struggle getting things done for me as well.

I found that my trick is to deligate, deligate, deligate. Many hands make light work! Your kids are still young but as they grow older they will be able to do more and help out.

My kids love to garden b/c they enjoy the fruits of our labor. Hello from Central Ohio Icon_wink They're favorite thing to grow is pickling cucumbers; but not to pickle, just to eat. They are smaller with very few seeds. All my children get to pick each year what they want to grow and be in charge of that particular plant all summer long. Lots of fun!

If I were you, I'd take happyfrog up on the offer of lunch! Sounds like a nice break from all the work of packing and unpacking! Smile

Best of luck!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheryllsm 4/24/2010, 9:41 pm

Hi Jenny,
I know where Ft Wayne is; DH went to college up by Warsaw.
& yes I was going through the list of what to grow & the number one thing was sweet pickles...had to explain that I need cucumbers to make pickles; but we'll see. & for the most part they do help; but i think will all the chaos of moving & me stressing it's just making them more stressed. & the little one loves to pack anything & everything around gets put into a box so I've had to go rummaging around for shoes, socks, hairbrushes... he even put the cat food bowl in one the other day. LOL
Cheryllsm

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 4/25/2010, 6:24 am

As long as he doesn't pack the cat. haha
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheryllsm 4/25/2010, 8:47 am

nidiyao wrote:As long as he doesn't pack the cat. haha

LOL that would be pretty funny; the one is quite heavy I think he would topple over trying to get her inside the box
Cheryllsm

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central Ohio Empty Moving

Post  jenjehle 4/26/2010, 10:43 am

I think that moving is one of the biggest, most stressful things for a family to have to do! Our move to our current house was 6 years ago. At the time, I had a 6 yo, 4 yo, 3 yo and an 11 month old, all very active boys! We showed our house 18 times before we found a buyer!! I will never forget how much complete chaos that caused for our family. I swore I'd never move again with small children.

Back then, our kids were all too small to really help with much moving. It was a struggle to pack and keep the kids out of the boxes already packed up. I remember finally packing up their toys; I thought the world would end Smile

Happy Packing and Happy Gardening once you get settled!!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down