Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? Toplef10How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? I22gcj10How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? Toplef10How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? I22gcj10How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix?

5 posters

Go down

How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? Empty How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix?

Post  greenmama 3/4/2012, 10:06 am

I'm looking at the chart for continuous planting, and this is the week for lettuce--yeah!

I want to do a few types of loose leaf lettuce, as well as a salad mix. How do you know how many seeds to put in the cup of verm.? And when sprouts come up, how many do you plant in the cup of soil, and then into the ground? I think it's a bit more tricky than when you are planting a head of lettuce.

Any tips?
Thanks!
greenmama
greenmama

Female Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? Empty Re: How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix?

Post  jkahn2eb 3/4/2012, 11:52 am

I threw a bunch of seeds in vermiculite and then just lifted them and placed in to cups once they had their first leaves. They grew fine and bountiful. It's hard to screw 'em up.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? Empty Re: How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix?

Post  Windsor.Parker 3/4/2012, 12:51 pm

greenmama wrote:
I want to do a few types of loose leaf lettuce, as well as a salad mix. How do you know how many seeds to put in the cup of verm.? And when sprouts come up, how many do you plant in the cup of soil, and then into the ground? I think it's a bit more tricky than when you are planting a head of lettuce.
Any tips?
Thanks!
greenmama,
Keep your seed count low for each variety you want to grow. Use a separate cup for each variety, and be sure to label each cup.
Once they've sprouted and have seed leaves move the strongest plants into a separate cup of soil Mel's Mix for each.
If too few for your plan, start more seed. If too many for your plan, eat the extras. tongue
Allow the seedlings to grow in these cups until you've "hardened off" each plant. Afterwards you will transplant each according to ANSFG plant spacing. Leaf Lettuce is considered large so 4/sq. (ANSFG pg. 108).
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/4/2012, 1:16 pm

And remember.....lettuce is one of the few veggies that needs light in order to germinate so a sunny window is fine.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/4/2012, 3:05 pm

Today I just transplanted some lettuce from vermiculite germination trays (leftover cherry tomato baskets in a plastic tray from some refrigerated food I had purchased) into my Round Foot Garden which is a 24 inch round bowl planter with Drunken Women Frizzy Headed lettuce and Parris Island Cos Romaine. Planted about 5 inches apart.
How to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? Parris11
This seedling tray has Calabrese Broccoli transplanted about 2 weeks ago and Parris Island Cos Romaine transplanted todayHow to ?: Indoor seed starts for loose leaf lettuce & salad mix? Calabr10
These are all residing on my enclosed but unheated porch. Minimum temperature all winter has been 40 degrees F. The vericulite germinating tray in the lower left corner of the photo still has Drunken Woman Frizzy Headed Lettuce babies to be transplanted to another seedling tray. Excess baby plants will be donted to the Master Gardener at our Community Garden.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down