Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... Toplef10Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... I22gcj10Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... Toplef10Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... I22gcj10Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year....

+3
Lavender Debs
gwennifer
tomperrin
7 posters

Go down

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... Empty Thinking of adding fruit trees this year....

Post  tomperrin 2/26/2012, 9:03 pm

Are there any really stupid things I can avoid from the outset? Is it safe buying from a box store like Home Depot, or should I go direct to a nursery or fruit farm.

Fruit farming is in our family history. But all the knowledge died with my grandfather. He's the kid on the left of the tall guy in the hat (my great-grandfather), about 1899. The photo is of their packing house on the family fruit farm in Milton, Ulster County, NY.

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 6787176886_614d43f696

I've got enough room for a couple of apple trees and maybe a pear tree.

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... Empty Re: Thinking of adding fruit trees this year....

Post  gwennifer 2/26/2012, 11:46 pm

That is such a neat photo! Wow! Too bad about the knowledge dying off. Sad

I don't see anything wrong with buying from Home Depot or some other box store, so long as you know what you're buying since they are often guilty of buying the same things for all of their stores and you want to make sure you get something that will thrive in your area.. I research recommended varieties of things before shopping for them, and if I find them at a big box store for a great price - yep, I'll buy it there. I just scored a Compact Stella cherry tree from Lowes.

I will watch your thread for advice from others since I don't know how to take care of it yet! Good luck with your fruit tree journey!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... Empty Re: Thinking of adding fruit trees this year....

Post  Lavender Debs 2/26/2012, 11:53 pm

If the tree is good for your area than go to the BBS.

These are things to be careful of. My local Costco keeps all their plants inside the hot, dry store under the lights. It seems like that cannot be good for the poor tree but they probably recover in a year or two. I like when they are stacked outside and would choose that over inside trees.

Here's to pie!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/27/2012, 12:07 am

I've put in a few dwarf trees along our driveway in the last couple of years, 3 apple, 1 cherry and 1 peach but all bought online. This way I could get the ones I wanted and not depend on the few available at the box stores locally.

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 04-06-14

My dwarf tree line buried in snow in early April last year. The first one is the only cherry tree.

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 05-14-13

A month plus later, here that same Almaden Duke Cherry last May in its 2nd spring. The snow didn't hurt it. But the birds got all the cherries.

I got my Stark Bros catalog this year and they have several types of fruits in dwarf and semi-dwarf varieties but if you don't buy early, they are out of stock pretty fast.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/27/2012, 5:48 am

Tom that is one wonderful photo. I love the tree idea. Just learn about what to look for in a tree first and then have fun shopping. Quiltbee that is a beautiful tree. If I were not a renter I would be growing figs and plums right now.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/27/2012, 8:54 am

I like Miller Nurseries; it's mailorder. I got 2 semi-dwarf apple trees and 3 blueberry bushes last year from them.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/27/2012, 12:22 pm

Unfortunately, my local sources didn't have varieties I wanted. They also had much larger trees I could not transport safely in my t-bird. Online ships younger whips so the hole dug is smaller and its easier to handle and plant. They also send along instructions on the planting and care of their trees.

The biggest changes are not to refill the hole with special soil. Backfill mostly with the same soil you dug out to make the hole. They want the trees to get used to their new home soil conditions and not need pampering. You can add compost all around the drip line of the tree and nearly up to the bark though. Also mulch is kept away from the base of the tree so little critters don't make their homes there and burrow into the tree stump. And no staking, unless you are in an ultra windy area. The gentle movement of the tree in the wind strengthens the roots. I never staked mine from day one and they are sturdy little gals.

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 05-22-26
My tree line early May before the last tree, a peach, was planted last spring.

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 05-08-11

My new peach whip on 5/22 after planting last year. The tomato cage around it keeps our golden away from it. She loves to eat tree limbs.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... Empty Soil conditions

Post  tomperrin 2/27/2012, 1:42 pm

quiltbea wrote:The biggest changes are not to refill the hole with special soil. Backfill mostly with the same soil you dug out to make the hole. They want the trees to get used to their new home soil conditions and not need pampering.

My back will thank you for this every time I look at the trees.

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... Empty On a related note...

Post  JenJ 2/27/2012, 3:00 pm

I'm thinking of planting dwarf or compact fruit trees in 1/2 whiskey barrels. Periodic root pruning will be needed so the tree doesn't outgrow the barrel, and other than this being a pain I don't see where it'd be a bad idea. I'm gleaning all the info everyone is posting here and wondering if anyone has experience with this specifically?

This is my first year (in the last 20 years) having a garden. I am SO EXCITED! It'll be the first year of SFG which I'm also super excited about. Last week I found 23+ year old polaroid pics of my Granddaddy's SFG.... pretty inspirational! Very Happy
JenJ
JenJ

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 2/27/2012, 4:49 pm

JenJ, I was wondering the same thing - about container planting my new ultra dwarf cherry tree. Then we could take it with us if we ever move.

Introduce yourself on the Welcome Mat and show us those pictures of your grandfather's SFG! You can just take a picture of the polaroids with your digital camera - that's how I get around not having a scanner. I really want to see them!

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to gardening!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/28/2012, 4:04 am

JenJ wrote:
This is my first year (in the last 20 years) having a garden. I am SO EXCITED! It'll be the first year of SFG which I'm also super excited about. Last week I found 23+ year old polaroid pics of my Granddaddy's SFG.... pretty inspirational! Very Happy
Thinking of adding fruit trees this year.... 3170584802 to your SFG and your Granddaddy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum