Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Who is Victoria ??? Toplef10Who is Victoria ??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Who is Victoria ??? I22gcj10Who is Victoria ??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Who is Victoria ??? Toplef10Who is Victoria ??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Who is Victoria ??? I22gcj10Who is Victoria ??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 9:36 pm

» Seedling Identification
by OhioGardener Today at 6:39 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 4:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:13 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Who is Victoria ???

+3
Chopper
januaryX
victoria
7 posters

Go down

Who is Victoria ??? Empty Who is Victoria ???

Post  victoria 2/24/2012, 10:05 pm

Hi all - so - I inadvertently helped contribute to some confusion this week here in the forum. - after a few people asked who I was and where I fit in I thought how about I introduce myself here at the welcome mat ???

So - I am Victoria and I am the CEO of The Square Foot Gardening Foundation. Basically the man behind the curtain ( I do love the Wizard of Oz ) I pretty much just listen and oversee the goings on here in the forum and allow it to grow naturally - much like we all do for our plants and veggies. I am so proud of the growth and diversity that is found here and support and more importantly encourage all to participate in open discussions. The sharing of experience is crucial - we all live in Different climates and regions - who better to reach out to then your neighbor ? Where else can SFG find so open a venue to make a difference in ever the smallest way to hopefully making a difference I. Every corner of the globe?
So to answer the question - who is Victoria - I am simply one of you.

I ask you to always look to the moderators here as the volunteer thier time and talents to keep this forum breathing - I am a 5 year veteran of the foundation and in my 3 rd year of Certified Teaching. Mel has asked me to take over his speaking engagements and secure the future of the Foundation. If you ever need me - I am here - quietly sitting in the background - I am very proud of the forum and all the members - thank you all for making this a great place for all.

( please forgive any typos / my iPhone has a mind of its own!!! )
victoria
victoria

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Who is Victoria ??? Empty Re: Who is Victoria ???

Post  januaryX 2/24/2012, 10:58 pm

Nice to meet you. If you're a CEO of anything, you must be busy. I don't understand what your purpose here is 'quietly sitting in the background.' Are there certain things you know how to do here that others don't? Do we have two administratorls now? Who does what? I look forward to your participation. That's how we get to know each other here.

P.S. I understand the curtain in the WOO, what curtain here are you talking about?
januaryX
januaryX

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 2/24/2012, 11:55 pm

I saw Victoria speak in San Diego and was very impressed with the public SFGs she has started in Columbia. She is a dedicated SFGer and real force to be reckoned with! A dynamo, if you will. We are in good hands and it gives me much security to know that Mel has entrusted his foundation to such good people.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/25/2012, 4:51 am

Is Mel doing alright? I know he had a bad spell what with the hip and all.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 2/25/2012, 5:18 am

The site moderator is nkdrooster abd a volunteer. Victoria works for the foundation and is an avid SFGer as well as a CEO. She gets money for her contributions. Smile Generally we do not hear from anyone in the foundation directly, but this time we did.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 2/25/2012, 7:01 am

OK. Victoria is the head of "The SFG Foundation" (SFGF). NR is the head if "The Forum".

Victoria took over for Mel after his fall because he was unable to fulfil the day-to-day duties of the SFGF. Like Mel, she is a force of nature and dedicated to Mel's dream.

And like Mel, she does not micromanage this Forum. You did not see Mel post here, you will probably not see Victoria post here (except in dire circumstances).

If you've ever been to an event where Mel is speaking, you would fully understand here "man behind the curtain" reference. She made sure everything was prepared for Mel and keeps him on track. Frankly, Mel couldn't do what he does w/o Victoria.

Hope this helps.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Who is Victoria ??? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rrsmith60 2/25/2012, 8:26 am

Victoria, (and Mel) and to all of the forum volunteers, THANK YOU for all you do for us.

I’ve been involved in raised bed gardening since 1990. In the beginning, it was on a commercial basis, on a small organic farm we owned in Washington State. We didn’t have boxes, but we cultivated raised beds with highly amended soil (much like Mel’s Mix) 8-9” above ground level and 4’ wide.

Several years ago, after a life changing event, I found myself in Kentucky living in a townhome. I was going crazy not having my fingers in the dirt, so a new friend of mine gave me Mel’s SFG book and I was reborn.

This may seem silly to some, but Mel’s book and the idea that I could micro farm without the farm, gave me back my spirit. I now live in the country on a large lot, with an abundance of happy SFG boxes.

The forum for me is a place to meander through with like minded people, to learn from and on occasion teach from my experiences.

So I don’t care who gets paid or who doesn't, I don’t care who's behind or in front of curtains. What ever is being done at the forum is working! I do hope Mel is well and I sincerely wish Victoria all the success possible with SFG and in continuing this wonderful forum

Who is Victoria ??? 109486

rrsmith60
rrsmith60

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 2/25/2012, 1:27 pm

I knew who you were! Hi Victoria! Who is Victoria ??? 61949

I like your avatar. In my head I'm always saying "changing the world, one square at at time". Feeding the world makes more sense! Hope to see it on a t-shirt soon.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  victoria 2/25/2012, 6:50 pm

Ok let's see if I can cover everything else -
Mel is amazingly fine and healthy ! He healed from his fall and I am back to running to keep up with him. We are on the verge of writing a new book of FAQs for release this Fall and are going to update the ANSFG book for Spring of 2013 - the same time the Square Metre SFG Editions hit. New pictures and updated styling - more to come on that as we get closer to 2013.
@Kim -Howdy Lady ! Did you get your trowels ? I have more here should you need them. I am glad you explained things so moch better then me. Thank you. Can't wait to see your gardens this year - you always do such a great Job. PS - we updated the look of our SFG certificates - to match the new look and feel of the .org and .com - would you like me to get Mel to sign a new one with it dated to your graduation date ?
@chopper your reply made me smile - thank you - and I have been very impressed with how active you are on here - great job -
@ rrsmith - thank you for sharing a very sweet and inspiring story You sound so sincere and I wish you many blessings and much happiness
@ Gweniffer a resounding hello back And the avatar was part of the visual mock ups for the new colors and look we are embracing. Cami is a San Diego native who has a passion for changing the world I envy and she has taken on our mission - I will pass on your words to her if that's ok? And YES we are working on a whole line of SFG logo tees with cute garden sayings and new artwork and stuff. It's way fun and we are open to ideas and suggestions !
victoria
victoria

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 2/26/2012, 2:48 am

The trowels came, I think, but they needed delivery confirmation so the mail carrier didn't leave them. Too bad cuz I wanted to present my hostess with one yesterday. There were about 20+ in the class (SFG 101 in the AM & SFG 201 in the PM) and one of my students from the Baltimore Symposium co-taught with me. I'll just mail it to her. They are going to be SUPERB host(ess) gifts.

Would LOVE the "new" certificate.

I'm finishing up a 4-class series at the local senior center this week and then giving a couple seminars at the MD Home & Garden Show the next couple weekends (I've been told the classes are 75-100 plus those "milling around")!

I feel like the shoemaker's children who don't have shoes . . . I haven't really started MY garden yet. Just a few seedlings planted in the house.

My mom is also doing great since breaking her hip (shortly after her 90th birthday in November). Tell Mel we all love him.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Who is Victoria ??? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 2/27/2012, 2:38 pm

Yes Victoria, of course it's okay to pass it on (but please edit my typo when you do! Laughing )

Didn't they only just update the colors and graphics and stuff last year? At least for this site they did... I think the tilted nine square with the veggie sillhouetes and Mel's hat is so cute. And I really like the colors here.

Anyway, kudos to you for handling yourself with grace after your coming out caused such confusion. I like it here. A fellow Washingtonian has been after you folks to hold a symposium out this way. If it ever happens I sure hope to be able to attend. (I've got babies at home though, so my time is not my own.)
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 2/27/2012, 3:46 pm

gwennifer wrote: A fellow Washingtonian has been after you folks to hold a symposium out this way. If it ever happens I sure hope to be able to attend. (I've got babies at home though, so my time is not my own.)

Gwennifer: Usually the Foundation doesn't just "host a symposium", they need someone from that area to agree to be the host and they send the teachers there. For instance, I wanted a symposium here in the Baltimore area so I did the legwork for the Foundation - researched hotels and conference space and arranged for meals to be brought in.

Perhaps you and the "fellow Washingtonian" would be willing to co-host a symposium? This way it would be convenient for YOU as you would choose where and when it would be.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 2/27/2012, 4:44 pm

sfg4uKim, you misquoted me - I said "hold", not "host". Wink Actually, the guy here in Vancouver is user EatYourVeggies, who is indeed already working on finding space for them to hold the symposium if they'll come out. Last he told me, the place he thinks he lined up is actually quite close by. The problem for me is, I'm the sole caretaker of my three children. I have no family here, and though I have a couple of neighbors who watch one or two kids for me for an hour or two every now and then, that's different than all three all day for three days in a row! I imagine that kind of commitment is aimed more at retiree's, but what do I know. I just know for me, it will be a different season in my life that I can attend things like that. I think the best thing for me would be the home study course. I guess I shouldn't have brought it up actually! Embarassed
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 2/27/2012, 4:58 pm

My reply was supposed to be "light-hearted" and I'm sorry if it came out differently. I certainly didn't mean to make you feel badly.

I was hoping that by you helping to choose a time & place it would have HELPED you. I have the utmost respect for single parents and fully understand and appreciate your priorities.

Initially I took the correspondence course and I think you'd enjoy it.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down