Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Year - Building boxes, garden plan Toplef10First Year - Building boxes, garden plan 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan I22gcj10First Year - Building boxes, garden plan 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Year - Building boxes, garden plan Toplef10First Year - Building boxes, garden plan 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan I22gcj10First Year - Building boxes, garden plan 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan

+8
tomperrin
DevinGoulding
laufenberga
camprn
quiltbea
CindiLou
plantoid
Kate888
12 posters

Go down

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan Empty First Year - Building boxes, garden plan

Post  Kate888 2/23/2012, 6:44 pm

I'd love to get your feedback on the plans I have for my sfg. After
comparing costs of various materials and sizes of boxes, and really
needing to keep the costs down I think I've decided how I want to do
things, but I want to run it by those of you who have more experience.

First,
I've decided to use the 6' cedar pickets that I saw mentioned in
another post. I checked them out at Lowe's and they are very rough, not
nearly as nice as the cedar boards, but a lot cheaper. I calculated
costs on 3x6 boxes vs 4x4 or 4x8 and feel like the 3x6 will be most
economical for us. We need bottoms on our boxes, so I've decided to use
chicken wire to keep out the moles and weed cloth. Both of those items
are cheaper in 3' widths than 4', so the costs really start to be quite
different. Also, I expect to have trellises along one length of each
box since I like growing tomatoes and squash (I'd grow more if I had
more room), so I'm thinking that will make it easier for the children
and me to reach into the box from the other side, if it's only a couple
feet back.

Here are the plans I have come up with. Let me know if you see any problems with them.

Tomato

Tomato

Tomato

Tomato

Brussel Sprouts

Brussel Sprouts

Bell Pepper

Hot Pepper

Lettuce

Lettuce

Spinach

Spinach

Bell Pepper

Bell Pepper

Lettuce

Lettuce

Spinach

Spinach

Peas

Peas

Spaghetti
Squash

Spaghetti
Squash

Beans

Summer
Savory

Broccoli/Beans

Broccoli/Beans

Carrots

Nasturtiums

Beans

Broccoli/Beans

Broccoli/Beans

Broccoli/Beans

Carrots

Nasturtiums

Thanks for the help!
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan Empty Re: First Year - Building boxes, garden plan

Post  plantoid 2/23/2012, 6:52 pm

Kate,

Is north side going to be at the top of each box ?.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan Empty Re: First Year - Building boxes, garden plan

Post  CindiLou 2/23/2012, 6:58 pm

One idea, I usually grew nasturtiums in my beds also, but found out that if they get covered with the aphids or such it is a pain to work with. It is much easier I think to just have them in a pot you can move around. They get very large in MM! Just what I am going to try this year.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/23/2012, 7:07 pm

If the top is north, then the layout is fine for what you want to grow.

Good luck to you and I commend you for cutting corners.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 2/23/2012, 7:23 pm

Yes, north is the top.

I'll think about moving the nasturtiums. I wouldn't mind getting a couple more squares, I'm just trying to keep the squash bugs off my spaghetti squash. Plus my girls will enjoy the flowers a lot.

Even with cutting corners, my calculations are that I'll spend $150 on the boxes, trellises and MM. + more for seeds/starts, hoses and other miscellaneous stuff.
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/23/2012, 7:25 pm

The upside is you wont spend as much next year! cheers But seriously, I understand. Keep squirreling away the pennies. They add up. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 2/23/2012, 9:10 pm

camprn wrote:The upside is you wont spend as much next year! cheers But seriously, I understand. Keep squirreling away the pennies. They add up. Wink

haha, well, we'll see about that. I'm already thinking what I'd grow if I had twice as much space.
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/23/2012, 9:34 pm

Kate888 wrote:
camprn wrote:The upside is you wont spend as much next year! cheers But seriously, I understand. Keep squirreling away the pennies. They add up. Wink

haha, well, we'll see about that. I'm already thinking what I'd grow if I had twice as much space.
LOL, don't I know it. My first year I had four 4x4 beds. the next year I added three 4x6 and then found a place that had wooden shipping crates. Now I have boxes everywhere. First Year - Building boxes, garden plan 498988

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 2/26/2012, 8:09 am

CindiLou wrote:One idea, I usually grew nasturtiums in my beds also, but found out that if they get covered with the aphids or such it is a pain to work with. It is much easier I think to just have them in a pot you can move around. They get very large in MM! Just what I am going to try this year.

CindiLou,
Do you know how close the nasturtiums (or any other companion planting) needs to be to work?
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga 3/19/2012, 8:23 pm

This is a cool idea. I'm working on starting SFG and I found a good deal on some weed barrier that came in a 3' x 100' roll. I think I will follow your plan of 3x6 boxes and I won't have to cut extra for each box. I've been hoping to do this as cheap as possible because I'd rather spend more money on seeds than anything else. Also, I've been working on a 9'x12' green house that will end up only costing me around $50 to build. Thanks for the idea
laufenberga
laufenberga

Male Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 3/19/2012, 10:08 pm

laufenberga wrote:This is a cool idea. I'm working on starting SFG and I found a good deal on some weed barrier that came in a 3' x 100' roll. I think I will follow your plan of 3x6 boxes and I won't have to cut extra for each box. I've been hoping to do this as cheap as possible because I'd rather spend more money on seeds than anything else. Also, I've been working on a 9'x12' green house that will end up only costing me around $50 to build. Thanks for the idea

Thanks, but I want to point out that if the weed barrier is exactly 3' there's no overlap to staple to the wood, so you might want to make the box a little narrower. Otherwise you'll need 4' wide. We were frustrated that the 3' wide chicken wire was really only 34 1/2 - 35". In the end we had made it so the box was really about 3' 1" so it wouldn't have worked anyway.

There's always something like that I forget to calculate in when designing something.

Good luck!
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga 3/19/2012, 10:18 pm

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have to modify the box to be a couple inches narrower...SSSHHH the plants won't have to knowFirst Year - Building boxes, garden plan 109486
laufenberga
laufenberga

Male Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan Empty 3x5 boxes

Post  DevinGoulding 3/19/2012, 10:25 pm

I made my first boxes last year, 3x5. My reasons were similar, to cut costs with the weed cloth, and also found that for proper coverage we had to overlap a bit still. If it is done carefully, it works. At least with the stuff I bought.

As you'll see all over this site, don't skimp on the MM. It is SUPER expensive, but worth it. Vermiculite isn't cheap at all, at least in Chicago. However, worth every penny. I saved money by using cheap pine boards and went with cheap seeds last year. This year we sprung for the organic/heirloom varieties and spent much more.
DevinGoulding
DevinGoulding

Male Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

First Year - Building boxes, garden plan Empty Buying cheap (inexpensive, that is...)

Post  tomperrin 3/19/2012, 11:08 pm

Twice now I've purchased weed barrier at auctions, one of a nursery going out of business, and the other a market gardener who went to the great garden in the sky. Prices were really reasonable, although some lots were bid higher than retail. So it pays to know what the market price is. Also bear in mind that not all weed barriers are equal. Some will last four years, some will last only one.

In another thread, someone suggested using cardboard. I've done that on my potato bed and will do it for corn and asparagus since both are deep rooted.

I prefer 1" cedar for my boxes, but 2" wide pine is cheaper and more available. My first boxes were made of scrap lumber as was my pine box.

I bought most of my vermiculite last November, and got it cheap. I went back for more today, and found the price to be 50% greater. I guess it pays to buy in the off season.

Same thing with Peat Moss. Price at Home Depot last winter was $8.97 for 3.2 cu ft bale, now it's $9.97 but Lowe's currently matches HD's old price.

I'm real aggressive about buying my tools and supplies at auctions and yard sales. Fortunately, we don't need much more than a good trowel for the actual planting, but my spades and garden rakes used for making Mel's Mix were purchased very well used. While a spade or rake might go for $1.00 (or less sometimes) at auction, I had to pay $6.00 for a good manure fork. There is usually plenty of competition for pots and saucers, but every once in awhile I luck out and get a decent bargain.

Bird netting is cheaper by the yard than any other kind of netting I think.

Some seed purchased at the supermarket will probably work just as well as anything you are going to get at a seed store. For example, I bought organic potatoes last year, stored them over the winter, and planted them in the spring. A couple of bulbs of generic garlic were planted the Monday after Thanksgiving and are thriving today. Just planted some pearl onions from the supermarket. I have no idea if they will sprout, but it's worth the experiment.

And of course, home made compost is free.

The point is, SFG is as much about scrounging as it is about making MM. Don't cut corners on MM or its ingredients, but try not to pay full price retail + tax for anything else.

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 3/19/2012, 11:29 pm

Kate888 wrote:

Exactly!

I had my boxes WAY overplanned. As I got closer to planting, I realized how I needed to completely rework the quantities. But you look like you've got that in spades already!

I don't see nasturtiums on your grid. And on your bottom box, the right side is cut off.

I got my original info on companion plants from Wikipedia. I am putting my nasturtiums with my brassica (cruciferous/cabbage) box.

I bought a different gardening book and it had a much larger info on companion plants.

When putting together your boxes remember the inside dimension and the outside dimension will be different, because of the thickness of the wood, and how you design it. Cloth materials may not be exactly 3', either. I've not bought any yet, but I've yet to have a tarp that is as large as it says it is. It's always and inch or so smaller that "cut" size.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/19/2012, 11:45 pm

the nasturtiums love the MM....ours got so big we had to put up a tomato cage around it for it to climb up on....it was very very pretty....until....the aphids got to it....once they take over its over for your plant and they will move on to the next square......it was my tomato plant they decided to go for next.....its really gross too when you have to pull it out full of those nasty critters......the plant became very sticky....

so this year we are going to plant in pots on the side skirts of the garden area....that way we wont be inviting them into the garden box's....then we can move them to the garbage can when they get over ran with aphids....i have to say....they sure do their job well Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/19/2012, 11:48 pm

Kate888 wrote:

It will be worth it when you are not having to spend $7 per pound for tasteless grocery store tomatoes this summer.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 3/27/2012, 4:09 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:the nasturtiums love the MM....ours got so big we had to put up a tomato cage around it for it to climb up on....it was very very pretty....until....the aphids got to it....once they take over its over for your plant and they will move on to the next square......it was my tomato plant they decided to go for next.....its really gross too when you have to pull it out full of those nasty critters......the plant became very sticky....

so this year we are going to plant in pots on the side skirts of the garden area....that way we wont be inviting them into the garden box's....then we can move them to the garbage can when they get over ran with aphids....i have to say....they sure do their job well Very Happy

hugs

rose

How about using garden soap on the aphids? Or lady bugs?

Insecticidal soap is just a few drops of dish liquid in a spayer filled with water. Bugs don't like the enzymes in the dish soap.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 3/27/2012, 5:11 pm

hmmm, I never got e-mail notices about these follow-up posts, so I just realized there was more. Sorry.

I have decided not to put the nasturtiums in the bed. I'll put them in a planter nearby (still looking for a cheap planter.) So 2 more squares for broccoli and carrots when they're done. Yay!
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/9/2012, 9:53 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:the nasturtiums love the MM....ours got so big we had to put up a tomato cage around it for it to climb up on....it was very very pretty....until....the aphids got to it....once they take over its over for your plant and they will move on to the next square......it was my tomato plant they decided to go for next.....its really gross too when you have to pull it out full of those nasty critters......the plant became very sticky....

hugs

rose

rose...did you see this post from Plantoid? https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t10435p15-friday-rookie-topic-carrots. His post is on pg 2, about 1/3rd down.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 4/10/2012, 6:18 am

landarch wrote:
Kate888 wrote:

It will be worth it when you are not having to spend $7 per pound for tasteless grocery store tomatoes this summer.

I don't think I'd pay $7 at the grocery for a tomato. Especially since there farmers' markets nearby? And some of our grocery stores do buy from local farms.

Our county has no less than 3 a week & each of the surrounding counties have one every week. There are even a few folks that sell stuff out of their truck on the side of the highway.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum