Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Toplef10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 I22gcj10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Toplef10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 I22gcj10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Toy Box 3 (the charm)

+23
southern gardener
Goosegirl
KDeus
GWN
dixie
givvmistamps
hopeless151
Daniel9999
morganfam7
UnderTheBlackWalnut
Windsor.Parker
Furbalsmom
CindiLou
shannon1
Chopper
gwennifer
walshevak
curio
nancy
quiltbea
FamilyGardening
RoOsTeR
Lavender Debs
27 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Empty Re: Toy Box 3 (the charm)

Post  quiltbea 3/19/2012, 5:42 pm

What a great way to spend your Birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBS!
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 3/19/2012, 5:49 pm

quiltbea wrote:What a great way to spend your Birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBS!

+1 birthday
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 3/19/2012, 6:19 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:
...I am busy baking WP!!
Happy belated birthday Debs!
Don't rub it in - you know - the baking! I have kinfolk in Portland, and I might try an impromptu visit so I can taste your grilled pizza with kale, the fava bean salad, and oh yeah - the cookies! Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 959632

(obtw, As I said before, I enjoy your videos. I'm gonna try posting some too, maybe later this Spring!)
But so you know I'm no slackard gardener, check out these pics.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Steppi22
You mentioned Forsythia in your video. Well we have only this one bush. Each Spring it was glorious, but last Fall it had to be cut back and relocated to make room for a new "walk-in" planting bed. Now here we are in Chicago, it's only mid-March, and if you look closely in the center you'll see the plant is blooming! I'm so relieved, even ecstatic that it has survived. bounce

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Steppi23
This season is second only to our first year when it comes to "gardening firsts", and radishes (Philadelphia White Box, c. 2sq. ft.) are new for me this year. My DW remembers them from her toddler years in her Grandpa's garden.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Steppi24
I 'm in on the carrot week challenge! Those Nantes seedlings are from my two week old carrot experiment.
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/20/2012, 10:11 am

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_18 Thanks for the birthday wishes UBnut and Bea, I had an amazing time. Eased the struggle to accept that I cannot stop time (I am sure that is what birthday celebrations are for)

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_19 I adore the tenacious Forsythia WP!!

Debs ....thinking the PNW spring is more about longer days than warmer weather

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_20 Another gusty day. 48/36, 80% chance of rain showers. Sunrise at 7:10 and sunset at 7:22 for 12 hours and 22 minutes of daylight. Everyday we get 4 more minutes of daylight and 2 more degrees of heat. The weekend is looking nice.

Last edited by Lavender Debs on 3/20/2012, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Where did my pictures go?)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  morganfam7 3/22/2012, 1:38 am

Happy Belated Birthday Debs! I love your videos!

We built chicken tractors very similar to yours. I wish I had brought them with me when we moved. I think we may build another one soon. They work great, don't they? Did you put a nesting box on one short end? That's where we put ours, too. Very Happy The kids would gather the eggs by lifting the lid. (One day there was a huge snake in there! Shocked )
morganfam7
morganfam7

Female Posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/23/2012, 4:28 pm

Sorry Lavender Debs, Embarassed but I am also on the late Birthday Wisher list.

Glad you had a great day. Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 541191

ps, Congratulations on the compost haul!! Like your new blue truck too.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Empty Sorry I got here late

Post  Daniel9999 3/23/2012, 10:05 pm

Basil the Garden Cat wishes you a Happy Belated Birthday Lavender Debs!

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Garde158
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/24/2012, 9:21 pm

Thank you for the birthday wishes Morganfam, FBmom and Dan! That poor kitty! All those boxes and no place to go....all that plastic, oh my.

Got my leeks and potatoes planted today. How bout you?

Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 3/24/2012, 10:05 pm

Laughing Debs.....I think he is thinking that.....that is why I have many of the empty beds covered in plastic and hardware cloth! There are so many kitties here.....

Not anything planted yet unfortunately as I just finished mixing the Mels Mix today. I was hoping to have that done last week but I was sick with the flu and the weather was horrible and I needed dry conditions to make the mix.

Tomorrow I have to put the grid in the new box .....however I experienced a minor disaster with my beet and carrot seedlings is was planning to put in.

I left them for some one else start and they failed to germinate because they left them out in the rain with shoddy covering and they got way over watered.

I will have to start them myself.

There still plenty of time left in the season for them though so its not that bad.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/25/2012, 11:57 am

Keep the vids coming. I enjoy them. Its nice to see things done firsthand.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/26/2012, 2:43 pm

Hey Debs! I'm a March birthday too. Smile

Two questions on potatoes:

1. Mel's book says 4 per square but in your video you say 1 per square. Is the difference from your personal preference or experience?

2. Some recommend to chit them first, others don't. It looks like you don't bother?

Also...

I got my 6-in-1 espaliered apple tree! Husband wasn't comfortable planting one against the sunny South side of the house (he was worried about the roots eventually damaging the foundation), so I decided to try a section of fence on the East side of our property. It doesn't get sun until afternoon, so I hope 6 hours will be enough. Here's a pic:

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Apple_10

You can see the bottom right branch already needs a little help not turning upward.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/29/2012, 10:15 am

Two and 5/8ths days of Spring! It was so nice in the PNW that the Lion of March decided to come back.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_25

March 26: All those onions and leeks from TSC were planted. Because the tool made it so quick and easy (see the potato planting video) I had time to plant many of my soil blocks of greens and lettuce.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_26

March 27: Spent the morning at the dentist and the afternoon trying to recover and catch up on school work. Somewhere in the fog (in my head, not the Toy Box) Broccoli and Cauliflower, that were started in little peat pots filled with starting mix, got planted. It was too cold to make mud when these were started. They suffered for my comfort. They are not doing nearly as well as seeds started in soil cubes. They should recover quickly in the Mel's Mix.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_27

Peas and radishes under the poly cover. If you look very carefully you can also see beets and carrots. Greens and salad are also coming along. I am going to be so happy if the poly cover is still in place when I get home from school on this blustery day.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_28

March 28: Up-potted a tray of tomato blocks into 4-inch pots of Mel's mix. I have a lot more up-potting to do but the primary teacher is sick and I have to take her class today and tomorrow.

You can read my Tomato Tuesdays on the blog, "Music of the Rain" The link is in my sig line. Tomatoe Tuesday for this week is at --> Tomato Tuesday (March 27)

@ gwennifer; Happy Birthday! Whoops, I was reading Mother Earth News, not the ANSFG. They ran a trial on potatoes. Of six methods they tried the most potatoes came from raised gardens with starts set 1 per square foot. The bottom of the barrel is not flat so it is not as large as the rim. I'll be more careful to check ANSFG before posting on Mel's board next time.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_29

I tried to get a good picture of the posts and wires that I train my tree on. Sometimes it looks like it is free-standing but we train it on wires and a sturdy set of posts. YEA for you getting one! May the pies bring you much joy!

Thanks Bea!

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_30 It was good while it lasted. March 29; High wind warning, driving rain and occasional lightening. 54/45 Heavy rain for the rest of the week. 12 hours and 43 minutes of day light (from 6:52 AM to 7:35 PM. Be careful if you have to drive.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/29/2012, 10:54 am

You're ahead of me with the planting. Today I'm just going to start my tomatoes indoors in the mini blocks for me and the community gardeners. There's lots to get going.

Keep up with the photos. I'm loving it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Empty video?

Post  hopeless151 3/29/2012, 2:19 pm

where do I find the video you are talking about? I am new to this site and don't have it quite figured out yet. Thanks!

gwennifer wrote:Hey Debs! I'm a March birthday too. Smile

Two questions on potatoes:

1. Mel's book says 4 per square but in your video you say 1 per square. Is the difference from your personal preference or experience?

2. Some recommend to chit them first, others don't. It looks like you don't bother?

Also...

I got my 6-in-1 espaliered apple tree! Husband wasn't comfortable planting one against the sunny South side of the house (he was worried about the roots eventually damaging the foundation), so I decided to try a section of fence on the East side of our property. It doesn't get sun until afternoon, so I hope 6 hours will be enough. Here's a pic:

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 Apple_10

You can see the bottom right branch already needs a little help not turning upward.
hopeless151
hopeless151

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 3/29/2012, 5:49 pm

hopeless151 wrote:where do I find the video you are talking about? I am new to this site and don't have it quite figured out yet. Thanks!

Welcome! The video is on page 4 of this thread. At the top right or bottom right of a multi-page thread, you should be able to see the page numbers. Your post was on page 5, just back up to page 4. Debs will be posting videos periodically throughout this thread as it progresses!
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/29/2012, 9:22 pm

hopeless151 wrote:where do I find the video you are talking about? I am new to this site and don't have it quite figured out yet. Thanks!

Because you are new, and this is something I can do to hopefully make you feel welcome, I'll put the link here for you (WELCOME) ......and thanks nut for giving directions! You are a peach...errr, a nut....errr, a really nice gardener!

LOVED the video Bea! Oatmeal is a better description than peanut-butter. BTW, so glad to hear that your 40 cubes of tomatoes are for you community garden. I just up-potted my cubes and ended up with 2 nursery trays of mixed tomatoes that I am trying to find homes for.

The video The tool is just a thing to pull up tap-roots, it was dumb luck that it worked so well to plant onions. My arm blocks your view. Put the tool into the mix at the depth you want, drop in the plant (even thread size plants were easy with the tool), pull out the tool and tamp a bit with the tool. Done!

Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/29/2012, 9:59 pm

Hey Deb, is this the wrong video This is the same one you have on pg 4 showing us how to start the potatoes in the half barrels.

quiltbea
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/29/2012, 10:09 pm

quiltbea wrote:Hey Deb, is this the wrong video This is the same one you have on pg 4 showing us how to start the potatoes in the half barrels.

quiltbea

Good observation, thanks cause I would do something like that. THIS TIME it was on purpose....trying to make it easier for a new member, hopeless151 to find the video.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 3/30/2012, 12:47 am

Thanks Debs! You are awfully darn nice yourself! Smile PS When I was a sensitive teenager, my mother used to say "If you are a peach, be a peach, don't try to be a banana just because everyone likes bananas." So I'd like to be a peach....but I'm probably more of a nut! Smile btw - LOVE your toybox threads! Keep 'em coming! Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/1/2012, 10:05 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:One last Celeriac from the winter garden. You can bet you booty that I will be planting a whole lot more of these this year! Yum

found celeriac root cheers at the store!

made potato, celeriac and leek soup tonight for dinner Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 418730

the kids thought the celeriac root looked so cool and it tasted good raw too Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 311672

it was kinda funny at the check out stand......

when we were at the check out stand the kids pointed out the root to the young man cashier who said that *yes he has seen that funny root before*.....Rolling Eyes

....*all the older customers seem to buy it Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 615992 ......and it seemed like all the old ladies really seem to love it*.......Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 656620

ummmm Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 950477 ......hey now!!

thanks deb....because you were so kind to share your video....my family was able to try a new food Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 211713

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/3/2012, 11:03 am

It has begun. Everyday until late May I will be watching the temperature. As soon as it gets up to 48 degrees (some days IF it gets up to 48) I run my trays of tomatoes out to the green closet. At night I reverse the process.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 April_11

It is easy this time of year. The little 4 inch pots fit nicely into trays that are simple to carry. At some point they will be up-potted to black gallon size pots....than the work begins. Two at a time, in and out of the house until they all have a place in the sun. I could just kick myself if I wake up in the morning and see that the temperature never dropped below 48*F. I could have just left them out BUT better safe than sorry. Since I have the soil blocker I've noticed I have a whole lot more tomatoes than I did when I was making newspaper pots for them. Maybe that green house IS looking more attractive than home-grown garlic.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 April_12

This is just embarrassing after looking at boffer’s beautiful garden. These itty-bitty sprouts live in a square of mixed beets (bulls-blood, chiogga, and some kind of golden).

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 April_13

Peas don't mind the weather but these have been living under the rain bonnet just because they are in the box that has it. It is really weird to have to water a garden when I get inches of rain a day. I try to not let the neighbors see.

Rose: Glad you liked the soup! I cannot imagine finding celeraic in a store, way kewl! I cannot find my seed. Drove all over Everett, no joy. Maybe I will drive up to my favorite natural foods co-op in Mt Vernon when Ray gets home from school today. They probably have a packet.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 April_14 Blue sky and shirt sleeves, 62*F...but that was yesterday. Today the clouds are back and the chance of rain is at 80% 50/37 An even 13 hours of daylight (6:42 AM to 7:42 PM)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/3/2012, 1:25 pm

thank you cheers again debs for another great video!

i was wondering about the watering of the cubes.....does the soil stay put when you water them?

hugs

rose....who loved hearing the nuggets chatting in the back ground :drunken:
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/3/2012, 2:01 pm

Rose; about watering cubes...the cubes are saturated when they are first made. Within just an hour or so the vermiculite sprinkled on top will also be saturated. I put a clear plastic tray (comes with some of the nursery trays) over my tray of cubes. It keeps the environment inside damp until the seed sprouts.

After the seed sprouts, while it is tiny, I use a spray bottle set to mist. The tops and exposed sides of the cube get a dew like layer of water that soaks in. When the seedling is a little bigger I have a small water can with a shower like nozzle for the end that allows me to gently water the cubes. (BTW I use water from my rain barrel) By that time the rootlets are helping to hold the cube together (at least that is my guess). Even so, at planting time the cubes require a gentle hand. The occasional cube will crumble when I pick it up, but since I do not handle them until it is time to up-pot or plant in the garden, it isn't much of an issue since most plants can handle more abuse than the handler.

For the little mini cubes (Bea shows those in her video) I've used the dropper from the video to add water to cubes (I do not have small children or grandchildren, nothing to fuss over except for Ray, Bomber and Rudy).

Good question!

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 3 March_31
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/3/2012, 4:08 pm

Nice video Debs. Very instructional.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/3/2012, 7:05 pm

Lavender Debs, thank you for the video. Really informative.

Your peas look really nice. Mine were not protected, even by a rain bonnet. I had planted late Feb, then the seeds swelled and floated up on top of the MM. I did push them back down but unfortunately, nothing came back up. Sad

Your tomato plants look nice too.

Loving watching your videos and reading your updates.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next