Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 Toplef10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 I22gcj10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 Toplef10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 I22gcj10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Toy Box 3 (the charm)

+23
southern gardener
Goosegirl
KDeus
GWN
dixie
givvmistamps
hopeless151
Daniel9999
morganfam7
UnderTheBlackWalnut
Windsor.Parker
Furbalsmom
CindiLou
shannon1
Chopper
gwennifer
walshevak
curio
nancy
quiltbea
FamilyGardening
RoOsTeR
Lavender Debs
27 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 Empty Re: Toy Box 3 (the charm)

Post  RoOsTeR 5/16/2012, 7:40 am

Always great to hear from the the toybox Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 3170584802
Are those carrot week carrots I see hiding there? If so, they look farther along than mine Very Happy
We've been loving the red (bordeaux) spinach here too. The kids have been gobbling it up and even the wife who's not a spinach fan is eating it! I think it all comes down to how pretty it is. Obviously makes it taste better Razz
Looks great debs. Thanks for sharing Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 3170584802

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/16/2012, 8:21 am

RoOsTeR wrote: ....snip....Are those carrot week carrots I see hiding there?....

Carrot week is tax week? I THINK that square went in earlier. I KNOW that they are Carnival Mix (multi color). Like Rose I do not think my carrot week carrots have sprouted yet.

That box was the one that had a rain bonnet (poly tent) and I wondered if I could start carrots earlier. I guess the answer is YES. BTW; before I put up the poly tent that box of MM was rain SOAKED. I did not give anything anymore water until a couple of weeks before I took the bonnet down. I like the results. Usually I would put a bonnet over my tomato garden but (1) this has been an oddly warm year and (2) TSC sent almost 3 times as many onions/leeks as I usually get. The tomato box has an unexpected population of onions that I don't want to cover if I can get away with it.

Debs....thanks everyone!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  KDeus 5/16/2012, 8:48 am

I so enjoy reading about the Toy Box! Smile
KDeus
KDeus

Female Posts : 71

http://www.mikkeanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/16/2012, 12:20 pm

Hi Debs, I like how much fun you're having with your soil blocker. I grew a "backup" of each thing that I direct sowed in case of problems hardening off or transplant issues... Mostly in case my 1 y.o. got to them. I was able to use the extra broccoli after the ant attack. And my boy did get to one of the Roma's - completely bent the stem at a 90 degree angle right down at soil level. But the silly thing didn't die! So I still have an extra Roma and an extra Brandywine.

I think it might be helpful to newbies if you'd be willing to post a picture of your red spinach that you say has bolted already. (Unless it's just the flavor that's changed, and not the appearance yet.)
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/16/2012, 1:00 pm

And here I was kicking myself for not just pulling that spinach out and giving it to the nuggets.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 May_1610

Spinach sends up a stem with leaves before it flowers. Green spinach will do this too. I is difficult to see with all the red lettuce and the angle of the mid-morning sun. That red "stick" (stem) shot up almost overnight. The flavor does change once (or even before) that happens.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 May_1611

The first rosette in this group has not quite bolted yet BUT if you look close you can see where it is fixen to shoot up.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 May_1612

This is regular green spinach that is still resisting the sirion call of the heat (remember last year when there were no tomatoes but we had spinach well into July?)

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 May_1613

This is green spinach that is going to shoot up a stem today. Can you see that instead of nice round leaves that lay out in a rosette, they are smaller and standing up, even looking a little like an arrow head? If you were to taste them the flavor will be less sweet (more like store bought).

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 May_1614

This is a mustard. You can see buds rather than a change in the whole plant. The flavor is also off on these. The good news is that beans, carrots, TOMATOES, etc need the space.

Debs.....good-bye spinach and mustard, hello basil

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 May_1511 Comfrey in bloom: let the humming bird gymnastics begin! I forgot to mention yesterday, in addition to actual sunshine we are up to 15 hours and 15 minutes of daylight, the morning sky lights up by 4:30 and the sun is up at 5:28 AM.....not setting until 8:43 PM with at least another 40 minutes of light. Yum.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/18/2012, 5:36 pm

hi Debs Very Happy

i was wondering since this is our first year of growing fava beans inspired by you friend Very Happy how long after we start to see flowers does it take to see some beans?....we are so excited!!

i looked back at last years toy box and your fava beans got really tall!!....ours are about up to my hip.....they are starting to flower....do they continue to grow taller while flowering?

thanks

hugs

rose who has been visiting the music of rain and printing off a ton of recipes cheers thanks deb!!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/18/2012, 7:28 pm

The video I made about cooking Favas was on July 23. Those were spring planted. My fall planted favas are less than 2 feet tall. They have both early beans and flowers. My spring plants are not a foot tall yet. They have not even blossomed.

Last year my Favas were planted in a square just west of some very tall peas. That MIGHT have affected how tall they got. I don't know enough about them to say for sure. It does seem like they quit setting pods when the beans started to ripen. There were beans at different stages of growth on single plants but everything was harvested within a three week window (like peas)

Hope that helps. I am still on rooky status.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 May_1811

2011 fall planted Favas (today....the first rung is either at 2' or 18" ??) There are quite a few immature beans on them already.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 May_1812

Spring planted Favas. No flowers yet.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 5/18/2012, 7:53 pm

I always think of that infamous scene in Silence of the Lambs when anyone talks about fava beans.... Razz

Everything is looking good Debs.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/18/2012, 8:42 pm

thanks debs that helps a lot to be able to see what others plants are doing at the same time as ours Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/23/2012, 10:34 pm

I know I've been MIA. I have been trying to figure out the rhythm of my days at this season of my life. It has been an adventure but I have not quite found my center yet. The garden kept growing. Here is a quick overview.

Debs....who is not sure what the weather is doing at this moment (we have seen everything today)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/24/2012, 2:04 am

so happy to see a video from the toy box!!!

everything looks great debs!!.....your dogs are so cute Very Happy .....our dogs love our sugar snap peas as well .......the nuggets are looking happy too!!.....so glad to see an update from you Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 993580

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/24/2012, 9:11 am

Great vid! Everything looks lovely! Cute pups & nuggets too!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/24/2012, 10:03 am

Missed you being on lately Debs. What a great video! Everything looks so nice, healthy, and green. I had a pretty good laugh at the dogs eating the peas Razz
Great to hear from the Toy Box again Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 3170584802

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/26/2012, 12:42 pm

Another day, another full rain barrel.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 June_210

Sunset, yellow cauliflower from TSC. F1 70 days. For some reason I thought that I had the yellow cauliflower, "cheddar" which TSC offered last year. Wheew! Recently discovered that Monsanto owns cheddar. I was wondering why TSC dropped that one.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 June_211

What a tease! These Rainer Strawberries look like they are ready to taste, but if you visit my garden please wait. Without any heat they are still sour. Sour is ok for gummy candies but not for strawberries. Even the crows will not eat these, though they keep plucking berries from unprotected plants (I know because they leave them where I can find them).

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 June_212

These heat loving "Rouge Vif D'Etampes" Pumpkins are growing! (Cinderella's Coach). The blue "pot" is the center of a barrel set on top of a space where the compost stood all winter. It is filled with compost and topped with Mel's Mix. There is no bottom on the "pot". The blue ring is part of a left over barrel Ray cut up to make an outdoor sink for me. My Knucklehead pumpkin has the same MM and compost mix but the pot has a bottom to it. Those pumpkins are not as happy.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 June_213

Fall planted Fava Beans are just about ready. I had already posted a video about preparing and cooking fava beans by June 23 last year. One of these is ready to pick, can you see which one? (Hint, they lay out like corn when ready)

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 June_214 Waiting on sunny heat! Tomato Tuesday posted here -- Did I mention that it is cold and raining? 59/50 in Everett, Washington with 70% chance that there will be wet hair when you go outside.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/26/2012, 7:03 pm

Wow what a coincidence that you posted about your strawberries. We picked some of our homegrown ones yesterday and I was disappointed with how sour they were. Not terribly sour, but not as good as I expected homegrown to be. Now I know why - thank you so much! Hmmm... can't wait for heat though - they are so ripe they are beginning to rot. At least the kids still like 'em!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/26/2012, 7:15 pm

great update debs!

oh boy oh boy....i think we have a few fava beans that we could harvest.....they went from sticking up to sticking out to the side and they look plump Shocked

the rain has stop but the kids and hubby are not home yet.....waiting for them to harvest our first fava beans.....i think we will only have a few to start with...like maybe five of them.....should i toss them into home made soup? ( after shelling and taking off the outer skin of the bean) or steam and eat plain?....with some butter?.....can you eat them with out cooking them?....help....cant wait!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/4/2012, 2:33 pm

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_411

Not worth whipping cream, but they were good for breakfast! Rainer Strawberries.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_412

If I can keep my pea loving dogs under control then we should get a nice pot of peas for our 4th of July dinner. You can see the little box of corn in the background.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_413

This was an incredibly difficult picture to take, I guess I am not as flexible as I thought. The impressive part is not the knee high corn or the holiday socks. The impressive part is the color of the sky. I forgot what blue sky looks like!

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_414 Ready for ohhhhh and awwww! Happy Independence Day! 66/50 clear skies. Sunrise at 9:16, sunset at 9:10 PM.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/5/2012, 12:01 am

Debs your corn is amazing!!!.....wow....cheers

our dogs beg for our sugar snap peas Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/8/2012, 12:11 pm

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_810
Summer has finally come to Everett! WooT! Because of the long cold month of June I have a bumper crop of 4 different kinds of peas. In the shade of the peas the lettuce is on its 5th or 6th salad. I am not sure why I have always been told to replant, it comes back so quickly. Somewhere in this beautiful mess there are carrots and beets too.
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_811
The fall favas, garlic and shallots have all been harvested. It surprised Ray and I that we could move everything so quickly. Now to get that greenhouse up. We tried a couple of different places for the two 4x4 boxes we moved but settled on the open place in the center of the yard (we wanted to keep that open for the puppies). Suddenly I have space for my winter garden. That never happens. The two boxes were snugged together so that the chicken tractor can be set on this garden. They do such an awesome job of cleaning up the mix and making the bed extra rich.
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_812
So far, so good in the corn box. I bet they will be happier when the peas are done.
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_813
Look at all that kale needing to be used! I knew it was there because I was daily checking it for those green caterpillars that like cole crops (the nuggets like the caterpillars!). How did it get so big and healthy this fast? Been here most of the year but suddenly I have abundance. Black Garbanzo Beans in the foreground.
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 5 July_815 I am thinking about starting a petition to stop Boffer from wearing shorts. If his hot weather couture is why our summer ends than please, encourage him to choose the long pants! 77/57 today! The Strawberry Moon is waning. Sunrise was beautiful at 5:19 AM (Bomber had to pee is why I know). Will set at 9:08 PM
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/8/2012, 3:07 pm

Debs everything look so lush and green Very Happy
glad to here moving the box's was not to tuff......your kale is so pretty.....we are growing kale for the first time this year and it sat stunted for a couple of months....we planted starts from seed and they just wouldnt grow....now they to are starting to take off....im wondering if they like it a bit warmer then a cool crop does thinking what kind of kale did you plant?....i like the look of your better then the one we have going.... Razz

hugs
rose....who so far hasnt found a kale she likes to eat but she sure thinks they are pretty tongue
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/8/2012, 4:21 pm

Rose....if you like smoothies, you can put your kale in, and put in fruit to sort of "mask" the flavor. Kale is considered a super food, it's soooo good for you! I wish I had so much! Nice job to LavenderDebs, wow! Jealous!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/11/2012, 3:38 pm

More Tomato Tuesday
Only the first 5 minutes are SFG tomatoes, the rest are in pots in the Toy Box (they are in MM but still may not count as SFG)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/12/2012, 7:02 pm

cheers looking good debs!!

our cats went crazy last night when i was watching your video..... rofl ...my daughter yelled from her room and said that they were running around trying to hide..... rofl because of your doggies barking for peas...... rock on

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/13/2012, 3:52 pm

Friday The 13th Summer Storm
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/13/2012, 11:48 pm

wow Debs it was crazy wasnt it??
the storm hit us about 7pm tonight..... we also got large balls of hail Shocked ....did you guys get any hail?

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next